Anybody have a DIY solution to LED lighting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukshot911

Reaction score
I want to build a LED board (for shits and giggles) and i need to know what LEDs to get, where to get them, ect. any related info or procedure would be great.

Bukshot911 said:
I want to build a LED board (for shits and giggles) and i need to know what LEDs to get, where to get them, ect. any related info or procedure would be great.

Superbrightleds.com will have eveything you need.

i was originally going to build my own led board but after searching ebay i found a seller that had just what i would build for a tiny bit more than it would cost for supplies and time so i picked it up for around $35 shipped, they dont have any on right now but they'll post em up

***search for this seller on ebay - californianursery

its worth a shot

be careful. not all led's are the right spectrum. For instance Some blues are 405nm, some are 425nm....The 405nm are a little off the scale. Just because they are blue or red, does not make them grow lights.

The solution is spend your money on HPS, best results you can get.

Do you know how to solder ? Ohm's Law, basic Electronics ?

If so I will help you build whatever you want to spend, you can have a far better light than a UFO even buying everything retail. Last I checked you could get LED's up to 35 watts in the right spectrum to veg with, in comparison the UFO uses 1 watt LED's. Just remember a watt of heat is a watt of heat and you will be producing heat when you get up to higher wattage LED's.

I am willing to help if you have the ability to do the project.

i have a limited knowledge of electronics but i don't see it as too much of a difficulty. if you were willing to help me out that would be awesome

I said I'd help you out and I will, you just have to be smart enough to pick it up and be able to understand what I explain to you. I also need to make sure you aren't already smarter than me on the subject, you aren't a know it all are you ? Also you are going to need some tools, you will need a soldering iron and solder. Also a multimeter and I like the ones that have a diode check that beeps, it isn't necessary but it does help troubleshoot things quicker in my world.

First off you need to tell me what you are thinking of building so we can decide how practical it is.

When I looked into building something way more powerful than the UFO light I was looking around $200. How much do you wish to spend ?

then you have to decide if you want to PM me and post your progress or continue to post everything in thei thread for all to see.

that should be a good start

Also I ran across this which might be a good starting point for your project, looks like they did their homework a little more than the UFO guys.

http://www.superled.net/ledgrowlights.html

Looks like the LED's they were using were around $2 and they are being disontinued but it still brings me back to building something similiar for $200. They used 56 of those LED's so that would be $112 in LED's and we'd have $80 to spend in a case and power supply.

thats a very interesting looking led setup, that intensity dial on the side is a neat idea

almost looks overbuilt, but for that money i guess you would want that

Latest posts

Back