Anyone tried this??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmknWhiteWidow

Sensimilla
Reaction score
Got talkin to a few people last night and one of my buddies claims that if you turn the light off 3 days straight before harvest that the plant will think it's dying and try to produce more and more crystals as a last chance at survival. He claims this ulimately makes the bud more potent. Any truth to this? sounds reasonable, has anyone tried it?? thanks

SmknWhiteWidow said:
Got talkin to a few people last night and one of my buddies claims that if you turn the light off 3 days straight before harvest that the plant will think it's dying and try to produce more and more crystals as a last chance at survival. He claims this ulimately makes the bud more potent. Any truth to this? sounds reasonable, has anyone tried it?? thanks

Thanks 4 the Post...I Read that...and I plan to leave My ladies High and Dry In the dark 3-5 days...Check back at My harvest friend..

that's like saying that someone is more able to escape captivity if you starve them for 3 days before you give them a chance to escape... think about it... you are depriving the plant of nutrients/energy... how would that enable it to produce more anything if you take away it's raw materials? ? ? (light energy)...

come on, man... r u gunna fall for that bullcrap ???

Easy easy... this is my first grow. i'm open to anything at this point. if its only 3 days away from harvest i'm not real concerned about it dying cause its gettin the axe anyways. i was just seein if there was any truth to it. THats why i made the post to see if there was any input. and i know that if a small plant is deprived of light it stretches big time so i wondered if there was any truth to the more crystal theory. thanks for the input though

not tryna say nothing about you... I was just pointing out a fact... sorry if it seemed like I was being condescending or anything... just tryna point out COMMON SENSE.

SmknWhiteWidow said:

perhaps, but another fact is that the light destroys thc, and leaving light off for 3 days, or more is probably going to increase potency.:hubba:

I've read where even as much as 2 weeks of total dark before harvest is a good thing.

Puffin Afatty said:
perhaps, but another fact is that the light destroys thc, and leaving light off for 3 days, or more is probably going to increase potency.:hubba:

really???... then how do u explain the fact that THC is produced FOR MONTHS when the lights ARE ON... and NEED TO BE ON for the plant to produce the THC???

come on, people .... THINK

are there any other silly ideas I can debunk???

MJ is weird plant man, i don't see what's so unreasonable about this claim. i've heard of it but never really believed it. But hey, it really couldn't hurt anything a few days before harvest. i think i'm going to try it before my second chop, what the hay.

Lots of people are unaware of the intense studies that have been performed concerning Marijuana growth.

The subject of this thread has been studied and strong evidence found that light deprivation prior to harvest negatively affects the THC levels and resin production.

From: "Marijuana Botany <An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis>
by Robert Connell Clarke

Factors Influencing THC Production

Many factors influence the production of THC. In
general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to pro-
duce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains
healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper
quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the bio-
synthetic processes operate efficiently when low light con-
ditions prevent proper photosynthesis. Research has shown
(Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced
under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photo-
period.

End Quote

The elimination of light during the end plant life causes an increased rate of death to the plant. It doesn't increase THC production or resin production. Actually, it DECREASES THC production and resin production. In fact, total loss of light will result in the elimination of THC production. The THC production will slow during the first 24 hours and come to a complete stop in the second or third day. If the lights were left on, THC production would have continued.

I would strongly advise anyone who is seriously interested in growing world class weed to purchase this book.

It will educate you in the REAL characteristics of Marijuana and help you to understand why many of the myths involving it's growth are fiction, not fact.

To sum up, NO, light deprivation will not help your plants to increase THC or resin. Leave your lights on at a 12/12 schedule until you chop your plants. To do otherwise will decrease it's potency. If you even decrease your light to a 10/14 on/off cycle, you'll be decreasing the potency of your plants drastically as compared to what they would have been on a 12/12 schedule.

Puffin Afatty said:

I've read where even as much as 2 weeks of total dark before harvest is a good thing.

Light only destroys THC after the plant is dead. It increases THC production right up to the chop.

Wherever you read that information, they were 100% wrong. It's already been proven with no doubt what-so-ever by repeatable scientific studies.

Pass it along the next time someone tells you that myth.

I find it kind of amusing that some of the myths are still alive even after being proven false by scientific testing. It shows the power of the rumor.

If you start a rumor that grape kool-aid is good for MJ because it helps the bio-genetic reproduction of high quality THC laden resins in the plant due to intergranular transposition of the THC molecules, someone will pick it up and tell it again and again until a group of people will SWEAR that it's true and proven by THEIR grow. hehe

POTUS said:
grape kool-aid is good for MJ because it helps the bio-genetic reproduction of high quality THC laden resins in the plant due to intergranular transposition of the THC molecules
WHAT??? all i got is cherry...gotta go to the store!!! will it change the flavor too?
reminds me of the 70's show, "hey man, i heard they got a car that runs on water...runs on water man...how kewl is that?!?"
and the other rumor i told my wife, "dont sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff"...ok, so that one was right...no seriously, a car on water with weed grown from grape kool aid...umm, question...does it have to be KOOL AID name brand or can i go generic? sorry, but i'm cheap.

Latest posts

Back