It's almost that time again fellers. March 18 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longtimegrower

Reaction score
I started a few seeds March 3rd, they came up around March 7. Exactly three days on March 6th some were already pushing up. . Fresh seeds don't need soaking over night. I only have a couple each year that don't sprout or that are week plants that I don't waist time on. It's just about what I would expect from seeds and aren't anything to blame the breeder for. It's just part of nature.
I'll do things different this year. I'll document everything as I go. Maybe that will help some new people get a better understanding by showing all the steps. When and how much I water. How I planted them. And how things are going. Most years I wait till around 4/20 to 5/1. Last year I planted some late because it got so dry. I waited on a rain. I put some small plants out july. 17 last year and they got chest high and still did fine. Only because I live at 41,• would I plant anything that late. If I was in Texas or South Mississippi I'd make sure they were out in April. It's just to hot and dry to plant late unless you can grow then in your yard.
I turned 60 in March. We're the last of the old-timers that still gorilla grow. A pack of Nirvava seeds I got. See if anyone notices anything odd. Watch for more posts.

IMG_20240318_124557410.jpg

Use what ever soil you like. Not a big deal for me as long as it's good dirt. The plant will only have maybe two cups of the soil I used anything in it is used up in a month or so.
In Mississippi when the gin cotton they can no longer burn the trash so it's dumped in a big pile
It rots after a year and is better than any dirt I can buy and we use to load truck loads to build up the garden.
I dig small holes about deep as my finger nail. By the time they are ten days old I'll transplant them into small pots. Do this how ever you like one seed per pot. I'm good at transplant so I just start a tray most times not always. Planting I water it so it doesn't dry past the seeds before the sprouts. Happy growing.
IMG_20240318_132549145.jpg
IMG_20240318_132557602.jpg

If your interested mandala has a 20 year sale going on. Buy two ten packs it's 30% off. Buy three ten packs it's 40% off. I bought 20 seeds at 30%off and got five free along with five free purple mandala. On the mandala site Khalifa seeds has some seeds 40% off. Aladdibs skunk 5 fem seeds 14$ sheberghan hash plant. 8 regular seeds 16$. All land race seeds. I've been wanting to try them. I don't have anything to do with mandala I just love there seeds and wanted to pass this along. I think the 23 is the last day for
IMG_20240318_135015781.jpg
some seeds. Mandala seeds will be on sale till the close for summer in May I'll guess.

Here's how the ten day old plants look. The double was a twin in one seed so I left it. I'm going to keep the best female plants and toss the runts
IMG_20240318_145102165.jpg
I'll post some picture of how I transplant easy without any stress on the plants. In a few days on the next few.

Yea you win. I guess they have a machine that counts seeds and they missed one was a rock. I know it won't sprout. It was funny so I wasn't to worried about it. Maybe the first time ever.
I would send that pic they owe you a bean. If you pay for 10 you should get 10

Here's how the ten day old plants look. The double was a twin in one seed so I left it. I'm going to keep the best female plants and toss the runtsView attachment 353797 I'll post some picture of how I transplant easy without any stress on the plants. In a few days on the next few.
That is something I struggle with. So thanks

18 days old. I'm going to sex them top some and bend a few. Keep the ones I like. These are a few F2'S I started early just for that reason. I have plenty good seeds.
Every year I plant a couple varieties that aren't mandala. I have yet to find any that outperform the mandala seeds. This year the test plants are super silver haze nirvana and varieties from Khalifa seeds. Aladdin's Skunk, Balkh, Hash plant and Aladdin Kush. I'll post them coming up. I usually plant outside around 4,20 or later. The days are long enough I rarely have a plant that blooms early after that date. Good luck everyone.
IMG_20240325_090633970.jpg

18 days old. I'm going to sex them top some and bend a few. Keep the ones I like. These are a few F2'S I started early just for that reason. I have plenty good seeds.
Every year I plant a couple varieties that aren't mandala. I have yet to find any that outperform the mandala seeds. This year the test plants are super silver haze nirvana and varieties from Khalifa seeds. Aladdin's Skunk, Balkh, Hash plant and Aladdin Kush. I'll post them coming up. I usually plant outside around 4,20 or later. The days are long enough I rarely have a plant that blooms early after that date. Good luck everyone.View attachment 354166
Started adding some big grow and tiger bloom about every third watering. They have a nice green color.

Ok guys i transplanted some seedlings and made pictures of how I do it without any plant stress from repotting.
First I water the seedlings a few hours before so the soil is wet and clumps together. You don't want the dirt dry and falling apart.
IMG_20240325_120241277.jpg

I add just a little soil in the bottom of the pot so the roots aren't right on the bottom.
IMG_20240325_120459301.jpg

Then I use a spoon to dig out one plant at a time. These are big enough they aren't easily broken but small enough I'm not cutting the roots when I remove them.
IMG_20240325_123441558.jpg

I move them to the new pot placing them close to the middle.
IMG_20240325_120554535.jpg
IMG_20240325_120620327.jpg

Then I add soil around the plant adding more to the side that it's leaning to. This straightens the plant. Tamp it down just a little.
IMG_20240325_121545429.jpg

Then I water the new soil just enough to water in the new seedlings.

This is the best way I've found and I end up not stressing the plants and with high female numbers and zero hermi. Last year 77% females in my regular seeds. It's always similar results. Here's a picture when I finished.
IMG_20240325_125433638.jpg

And one two hours after. No wilt no stress.
IMG_20240325_151119905.jpg

If the mods choose to use this in any way they have my permission. I think maybe the biggest plant problem is either over watered. Or the soil is to dry and falls off the roots when transplanting. I think keeping a fan going when they are little helps if you over water. Even with a fan plants this size can go three or 4 days between water. After they get bigger it doesn't hurt the plants to slightly wilt as long as you can recognize it and water when you notice it. It's less stress that way than if you over water way to often. I hope this helps. Happy 🪴 growing.

Latest posts

Back