Arizona Attorney General might consider legalized marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowRider

Reaction score
Source: Norml

Attorney General Terry Goddard said Tuesday he might be willing to consider legalizing marijuana if a way can be found to control its distribution - and figure out who has been smoking it.Goddard said marijuana sales make up 75 percent of the money that Mexican cartels use for other operations, including smuggling other drugs and fighting the Mexican army and police.
He said that makes fighting drug distribution here important to cut off that cash. He acknowledged those profits could be slashed if possession of marijuana were not a crime in Arizona.
But Goddard said a number of other hurdles remain before that even becomes a possibility.
Arizona drug laws came up during questions about the operation of drug cartels and the violence associated with their operations, particularly in the Mexican state of Sinaloa.
“The key is, they will no longer exist when people don’t buy marijuana,” said Matthew Allen, special agent in charge of the office of investigations for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. “This is a market-driven economy and this is a market-driven activity.”

LowRider said:
“The key is, they will no longer exist when people don’t buy marijuana,” said Matthew Allen, special agent in charge of the office of investigations for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Never Happen.

Being an AridZonan I would love to see this happen, but I won't hold my breath.

so then the cartels move to New Mexico or Texas and sell where they can.
only legalization on a federal level that is adopted by all the states is gonna make that problem go away.

I think it is more a possibility now that we are having a financial melt down and spending money on pot traffickers going to be one of the first things they cut at least it would make more sense,. but who knows ,the Government don't do things like normal people It would be the smartest thing to do as they could collect tax money from it and not have to pay for court trials for something that should be legal anyway just my thoughts

Its really surprising to here this from someone in his position. Common sense does prevail from time to time. wounder if he could spread it around and get others to come to our side.

There is new news on the legalization of MJ in Az. this week. hxxp://emailwire.com/release/22563-Arizona-Medical-Marijuana-Policy-Project-Files-with-Secretary-of-States-Office-to-Place-Issue-of-Medical-Marijuana-on-November-2010-Ballot.html[/URL]

LowRider said:

“The key is, they will no longer exist when people don’t buy marijuana,” said Matthew Allen, special agent in charge of the office of investigations for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. “This is a market-driven economy and this is a market-driven activity.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.......uh........NO!!!!

Criminal enterprise is much more resourceful than yo are giving them credit for. They would simply move to some other form of illegal gains, be it other drugs, human trafficking, etc. Saying that marijuana being legal would eliminate their ability to make money is a joke....although I am very glad that he believes that.

idk nyc, there's alot of money in them green plants. if the cartels didn't have it, they'd lose alot of the money they use for police/political payoffs and armed muscle, and all their other illegal activities would suffer. i don't think there's much else that would pay them like weed does. sure drugs like coke and meth are more expensive, but gringo demand for harder drugs isn't close to weed.

yes but weed is also America's #1 cash crop...the #1...we are growing our fair share. I wouldn't want no Mecican brick weed anyway.

PS-Who the **** does this attorney general think he is????? The last time I checked America was a democracy. it isn't for him to decide if MJ should be legal. "He might consider it"....give me a break. If the people demanded it he wouldn't have a choice.

because people want to be able to grow it without fear. I would like it to be legalized for the same reason. However as stated in other posts I believe that legalizing because people think it is a cure for the economy will be a huge mistake and a disservice to MJ all over the planet. Huge companies like RJ Reynolds, Phillip Morris, etc would take over the game and mass produce crap that is grown in fields and sprayed with the same chemicals they spray on their tobacco. The quality would go to crap if pot was legalized for the strict purpose of making money because big business in my opinion would focus on yield and mold/pest resistance instead of quality, and they certainly wouldn't be producing anything organic or give a flying crap about what chemicals they were putting into people. And make no mistake about it, if pot became legalized nationally I think you would see huge suppliers like them, not single dispensaries all over the country all getting their product from different places.

Hey man if they legalize weed that's good for all man kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, u think az moves drugs they got nothing on what gos on in the new mexico texas border crossing in to mexico. now thats where the real problem is. 5000 dead in 5 years in that border town.

see nyc, i think if pot were legalized it'd be alot like the alcohol business. there'd be a handful of big national companies like miller, coors, bud, selling avg pre rolled bud cheap. then they'd sell their runoff (like keystone, busch) super cheap. but there would definitely be a market for high quality bud. it'd just be more expensive (but still cheaper than today IME). plus those big companies would be able to spend big bucks on geneticists to research and develop dynamite bud.

You guys are focusing on the original post, has anyone read the link I posted about the NEW news in Az.? I for one am very excited and plan to vote.:)

Latest posts

Back