Best Way To Start A Lot Of Clones?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ston3pony

Reaction score
I've been digging around, and haven't been able to find a clear answer. I'm sure this is a newb question, so feel free to ridicule me unmercifully. :)

What's the best way to start the most clones? Is it just a simple matter of growing a couple vegetative donor plants? Hacking them all to pieces? How many clones can I realistically expect to get by growing a donor plant and sacrificing the whole plant?

Thanks!

not quiet sure what you mean.there is a cloner in the diy section.i pwersonally use the hick method.get some perlite and cups,fill the cups with perlite,with holes in the bottom of your cups.place your clones into the cups after using clonex or whatever you use.plave in a container with water,cover with a dome.wih a light on. i use clonex solution,diluted for the liquid.works for me.you can then check the rooting by flooding the cups til the perlite mostly floats away.if not enough roots for ya,just return to the cups.no stress on the clone.whew,hope i got that right hick.kinda buzzed right now

:farm:

YES

ummm, I dunno take a look at my SnowWhite and tell me how many you can count...probably several hundred at once, maybe a thousand and then it will easily regrow so you could take more in a couple weeks...I think you can make a bubble cloner to do the job easiest

Ah thanks Puffin. Interesting, so you would recommend not killing the mother? Not stripping it for every clone? Grow it up, then take maybe 1/3, then let it recover and repeat that process?

ston3pony said:
Ah thanks Puffin. Interesting, so you would recommend not killing the mother? Not stripping it for every clone? Grow it up, then take maybe 1/3, then let it recover and repeat that process?

you can only clone the top of each branch so you really cant clone it to nothing, Just give it time to recover.

One nice mother plant should be able to give you as many clones as you would need, provided your not a comercial grower.

Growdude said:
you can only clone the top of each branch so you really cant clone it to nothing, Just give it time to recover.

One nice mother plant should be able to give you as many clones as you would need, provided your not a comercial grower.
Oh really, hmmm. So the various branches between the top and the stock (stem?) won't clone?

Hypothetically, if I grew one mother plant indoor, waited until it was mature, what could I expect in potential clones?

I appreciate the info thanks.

Well think of it this way.... Evey node on every branch produces a new branch if given the proper light and room to grow....So if you have a large growing mothe, you can LST her and can get a heck of a bunch of clones...

When cutting your clones NEVER cut your donor branch below the bottom node.. that node is where your new growth is gonna come from to give you new clones in the next couple months or so.....WHen I cut.. I usually let a branch get 3 nodes.... I take two nodes with the clone and leave the third on the mother for new growth.

Buy this book and do your homework there is a lot of info on being clean with everything. Title " Grow Great Marijuana" Author Logan Edwards
An uncomplicated guide to growing the worlds finest cannabis

I read this and I never look back. Just make sure your mother plants are 2 months old and healthy not sick.

CasualGrower said:
Well think of it this way.... Evey node on every branch produces a new branch if given the proper light and room to grow....So if you have a large growing mothe, you can LST her and can get a heck of a bunch of clones...

When cutting your clones NEVER cut your donor branch below the bottom node.. that node is where your new growth is gonna come from to give you new clones in the next couple months or so.....WHen I cut.. I usually let a branch get 3 nodes.... I take two nodes with the clone and leave the third on the mother for new growth.
Ahhh LST is good for taking clones? I figured it was just for saving space and increasing yield. Yeah, I'm a newb. So, we decided to take this outside. Me and a couple friends each going to split the clones and do our own little gorilla grows, bit of a friendly competition.

So, we are splitting the clones three ways. Roughly how many clones might we expect to yield from one sacrificed mother plant? If I let it vej and LST it? Planning to go with a cool climate outdoor strain (Pacific North West). Purple Power, or DPS Shaman from seed boutique maybe. Also, is it a good idea to let them stretch at all before I cut them? Lower the light level for a week before I clip them maybe?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

if you need lots of clones you'll have to LST and/or top your plant. I wouldnt suggest chopping up the whole plant. You might have to take 8-10 clones then wait a few weeks, take another 8-10. Avoid stretch if you can and dont screw with your light cycle. This whole process takes time, making mj bushes is an art. My mother plant is 6 months old and i take 8-12 clones at a time.
If you an your buddies are in rush mode, why dont one of you bud the mother-clones for the others.
DONT CHOP THE WHOLE PLANT! Mama will bud the best.

canibanol cannonball said:
if you need lots of clones you'll have to LST and/or top your plant. I wouldnt suggest chopping up the whole plant. You might have to take 8-10 clones then wait a few weeks, take another 8-10. Avoid stretch if you can and dont screw with your light cycle. This whole process takes time, making mj bushes is an art. My mother plant is 6 months old and i take 8-12 clones at a time.
If you an your buddies are in rush mode, why dont one of you bud the mother-clones for the others.
DONT CHOP THE WHOLE PLANT! Mama will bud the best.
Indoor grow is problematic for us, not going to risk it (beyond what we have to of course).I guess my question is then, can you get more plants out by taking about 10 at a time, then waiting a few weeks and repeating, considering the window of the growing season? Versus vegging one big mother and hacking her to pieces in one shot?

Thanks cc

depends on what your goals are, do you want as many clones as possible right now and you don't care about the future or do you want an on going cycle of clones? Also Growdude was incorrect when he said you can only clone the top of the branch, you can also cut one large branch off and then cut in in three or six or whatever as long as they are large enough to support themselves. 3-4 inches in length is suggested, I personally clone at about 6 inches but I flower immedietly with no veg time, I've also seen clones successfully taken that are only 2-3 inches.

:watchplant: :farm:
1: Cut at 45 degree angle
2: put in plain water in glass container
3:set in widow
4:keep water fresh
5: watch for root growth
6:transplant when roots start growing

:banana: Grandma way:rofl:

:tokie: :48:

:headbang2: :bong1:

Tater said:
Also Growdude was incorrect when he said you can only clone the top of the branch, you can also cut one large branch off and then cut in in three or six or whatever as long as they are large enough to support themselves. 3-4 inches in length is suggested, I personally clone at about 6 inches but I flower immedietly with no veg time, I've also seen clones successfully taken that are only 2-3 inches.

I have never seen this done, do you have any pictures?
I guess thinking about it it sounds logical.
kinda like toping it before its rooted?

Thxs

Tater said:
depends on what your goals are, do you want as many clones as possible right now and you don't care about the future or do you want an on going cycle of clones? Also Growdude was incorrect when he said you can only clone the top of the branch, you can also cut one large branch off and then cut in in three or six or whatever as long as they are large enough to support themselves. 3-4 inches in length is suggested, I personally clone at about 6 inches but I flower immedietly with no veg time, I've also seen clones successfully taken that are only 2-3 inches.
Interesting. Yeah, I plan to finish a grow box and I was hoping it would be possible to grow a vegetative mother big enough to take a enough clones off in one shot and then be done with the indoors. We are splitting the lot three ways so the more the merrier. You can take about a third of the plant without killing it right? So would you think it would be better to LST a big mother and sacrifice the whole thing, or take 1/3, then 1/3, repeating every month? I figure the plants would go out around... April. Using your method of taking clones seems like the best bet. But with the seasonal outdoor growing window, would it be better to take 3rds of the plant and wait, or grow a big mother and just chop her?

Great article in this morths Cannabis culture. Check your local news stand

Growdude: Don't need pictures, it looks like any other clone lol. As long as you leave an internode on new growth will start from there. If you could only clone from the top that would mean that the plan was only capable of growing new growth from its top portion and if that were true then you would only be able to take clippings once.

Tater is correct.

I also occasionally cut down whole branches and get many cuttings from the one branch. Some of the cuts are 3-4" and some are 2-3 ".
I also take cuts from alot of the lower branches on my moms.
In fact, after I flip my room to 12/12, I will "clean-up" the bottoms of the now flowering plants and use that to make cuts. This can only be done 3-5 daze after going to 12/12. I am actually getting ready to do this tommorow, as I just flipped my room over.

NorCalHal, nice idea never thought of that, have you noticed an increase in hermies because of this? Not saying it will just curious, also does it increase the rooting time by much? I may just give this a try.

ston3pony said:
I've been digging around, and haven't been able to find a clear answer. I'm sure this is a newb question, so feel free to ridicule me unmercifully. :)

What's the best way to start the most clones? Is it just a simple matter of growing a couple vegetative donor plants? Hacking them all to pieces? How many clones can I realistically expect to get by growing a donor plant and sacrificing the whole plant?

Thanks!

have ya checked massprod s bubbler cloner setup, that might be useful as
too much clones as you want, see his link

Latest posts

Back