Bud Size question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4TheCause said:
Thanks for the posts! I really appreciate it. I'll try to get everyones questions answered. First, I have a correction to make...my ferts in the above post was supposed to be Pure Blend Gro/Bloom! Also, I should have added this earlier but my initial question was turning into a novel, so I didn't want to write much more. Im using good soil... miracle grow and cow manure mix. I also prepare it with blood meal (or maybe its bone mean..I can never remember which is which) 2 weeks prior to transplaning my little ones. Then I feed them lightly with Pure Blend Gro and Superthrive until 12/12 and then I rotate between PB Bloom, Fox Farm Big Bloom, and Earth Juice.
I am positive the strain is the same as his. He persoanlly gave me seeds...plus, I picked a few out of buds through the years. I have also had this same type of luck with Whire Rhino and Bubbelicious. The buds were maybe a "little" bigger but not too much. Now that you know those 2 strains did the same, should they have done better under thos conditions? I understand that the 250 HPS proably would work...but could it be the reflector. Like I said, I bought it from a guy in the midwest that used to manufacture his own lights and used stainless steel. He prided his product on the fact that it was durable..LOL...but I wonder if it is reflective enough.
Give me 10 minutes and Ill grab a few pictures...they are 26 days into flowering.

Thanks...

4TheCause
you might have the same seeds but that dont meen you will get the same pheno. your buddy could of had a lucky find of a great pheno a real keeper.
im sure if you plant 10-15 seeds you might get lucky and find something very close to his.;) or better.:cool:
also IMO you should get some better soil to work with for veg some soiless mix no MG and add some worm castins, high N bat and seabird guano's blood meal and lime. and for flower just replace the high N guano's with high P-K guano's and some bone meal. if you mix it correctly you will only have to give the plants straight water thru veg. no nutes untill flower then i give them very light doses everytime i water since there's already nutes in the soil i dont need much more. and i flush for 2-3 weeks :hubba: also if you have the money a 600w HPS will work wonders an a 1000w HPS will blow your mind. there's a huge growth differance. your pushing the limits with the light your using. i dont think the reflector matters much. but i would try to invest into a bigger light;):D also it might just be genetics some strains no matter how perfect your room is dialed in and no matter how much light you use they will produce mediocre buds

4TheCause said:
I am on my 3rd grow of a White Widow x Jack Herrer x Kush strain that an old friend created. He had to give up the grow life so I no longer have access to his wisdom. Something that has always bothered me about this strain is that I can't seem to get any good size buds off of it. The growth pattern of the buds all stay along the stem...it doesn't branch out much! I am hoping that someone can give me their opinion on what could be the reason. I know it is not the strain because I have seen buds from my old friend and they were nice. I do not know what his setup was like at home. Could it be that it requires a stronger light? I am only using a 250w HPS/MH. I must admit that the reflector is stainless steel and isn;t very reflective. I am using mylar to help as much as I can. I only have a 3 x 3 space and can let them get about 3 - 4 feet in height. My last grow, I had a few 4 foot plants and the top bud only got about 4 inches long and about the size of 50 cent piece. The plant had approximately 10 nodes and the lower nodes were all about the size of nickles or lower ones were about the size of dimes.
With that said....is it the light? Am I using poor nutes (Pure Gro Gro/Bloom)?
This strain has a great buzz and it tastes great,,,I REALLY want to get a better harvest so I don't have to grow all the time.

Thanks in advance!

4TheCause
well i got a 5x5 grow area, and i can only fit 4 plants in that tent, otherwise your going to get a lot of buds on the sides not having any light, i was in your situation i would most deffinitly get a 1000 watt HPS/MH with a hood reflecter hood, and good ventilation, with only 1 or 2 plants, that way the will branch out my plants are very bushy, my last plant grew in my grow tent was the only plant under a 1000 watt HPS/MH and it took up a 3x3 area :eek: But if you have 4 plants in your area, they really dont have any room to grow as big as they want and if it did get branchy in there the side branches would have no room to grow 4 plants in a 3x3 area..JMO good luck man

i got 25 fems in a 4x4x7 tent all i trimmed the lower side shoots so there all single cola's. but you can grow however you like this grow i wanted to try single cola growing. but i think i might be better off growing 4-6 multiple top plants all lolly pop them to the main shoots. we'll see next grow will be some bushy lady's:hubba: see if i get a better yield from fewer bushy plants compared to 2-3 ft. single cola's with im guessing 1/4 to a half oz. each so i should end up with 6-7 oz. when cured;):cool: the only difference is i will have to veg at least 3-weeks longer than the single cola's

I am planning on sticking to a 600w. I appreciate everyone's help, but due to the fact that I can't make anymore modifications to the room to increase airflow/exhaust, I think 1000w may be too much. Im going to try to save cash by going with the Digital Electronics w/ a better bulb upgrade. I don't have the funds yet for a Lumatek yet. I heard they are top of the line.
So, I'm actually going to take a little bit of everyone's advice. I'm going to get a bigger light, I'm going to try hydro (dwc), and I'm also going to switch strains.
Thanks for everyone's help!!

Cheers!

4TheCause

i've never had the pleasure of jack herer bud, but i hear it's a light producer even if the buds are primo. could be no matter what that lightings/nutes you use it just wont make big buds like some other strains might.

2 posters in this thread use bone meal indoors. I am an old dirt gardener and ime bone meal is a very slow release form of P and I bet it is still in the pots when you harvest. They put bone meal under flower bulbs in September for great growth in April. Just my 2 cents. Bone meal isn't cheap. There are other P sources, aren't there? Outdoors, if you know where you are going to plant the following spring, by all means mix a bunch in the soil in the fall and mark the spots.

Latest posts

Back