Bugs in the soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazeydays

Reaction score
:holysheep: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Watering plants about 30 min ago when I see these tiny black things in the water, Thought it was dirt at first glance. But with a closer look, it's moving, This is not dirt but bugs and a lot of them, they seem to be pushed out from watering runoff.
I'm using FFOF soil and some one here on MP I think it was the MVP L_F had the same problem.
Does anyone know what these are , how to get rid of and are they killing my roots/plants their must be a couple million in the dirt i cant see.
PLEASE HELP

May not be bugs on some of your mugs but I got plenty on mine :eek:

Alright -explain what they look like to us in detail if you could. I have allot of experience with insects - specifically soil mites and soil aphids - the latter which are worse.

How many legs? Body segment? Coloration? I can tell you how to kill them properly with some info.

I had a problem with gnats...which was taken care of with Diatomaceous Earth. You have to identify the bugs first, like Jman mentioned. If they are gnats you will have flying creatures to. Can you get a pic?

:eek: from the description it sounds scary. i hate soil lol

Man i hope you can help!
So let me tell you , tiny, size of tip of needle ,gray, lookes like 6 legged little creature. I think it(s) only 1 segment far as i can tell. Had to get the Mic to see them that close at about 40/50% mag. also they jump like fleas, was looking down at plants and noticed them jumping, looked like the fizz that you see in a cola when you pour into a glass of ice you now what i mean, this could not be good im thinking.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A picture would help allot - It's probably springtails, is your soil primarily peat moss?

FFOF - missed that. Do you want to go the organic or chemical route in regards to treatment?

cant get a pic that close to show sorry. their to small, i dont see anything flying yet but there must be millions.

Good news is Springtails and soil mites typically don't feed directly on your roots or your plants. They like the peat, and organic material in the soil. FFoF is primarily Peat Moss.

Ever seen a Snow Flea? This is a part of the Spring tail family, or Sand fleas that feed on dead sea weed. They are more on the surface and close to the holes - right? I don't believe they breed deep in the soil. This means a soil soak may not be necessary.

Pyrethrin will kill them. Although it's not organic - it's naturally derived and very effective. I would try an aerosol type and spray the bugs and the areas they are most prevalent. Neem oil works some what also, as will Azamax and/or Azatrol. There are many methods.

If they are in the lower portions of your buckets - I've found creating a shallow (about 1.5 inches deep) reservoir of Pyrethrins, Azamax or whatever drench you choose and and place your pot in it - submerging the drain holes. This only needs to done for a few seconds and is very effective at killing insects living in the bottom.

Let things dry out. Springtails love moist environments and can withstand large temperature differences. LF is right on with the Diatomaceous Earth also. It will help tremendously. When, if you decide to spray. Ruff the surface of the soil a bit and repeat the spray. They will hide under the surface. I hope this helped a bit. I'll post up if I think of any thing else.

thanks for all the help. just a couple things im growing in 3gal bags the holes are kinda high on the sides, but i do have holes in the very bottom of bags.
also i have 1/2-1'' of perlite on top of soil should i remove before i spray.

Are they living in the perlite? I think you mentioned they are around they drain holes also - right? Maybe try just spraying first.

I see them on top of perlite more so not so much around drain holes but i know there around.
could the perlite have been the host, iv'e been using this soil for 4-5 weeks and saw nothing then i bought this bag of perlite bout 2 weeks ago. now i c them every were.

Maybe perlite brought it in but I've never seen contaminated perlite. It could be though. I havn't seen allot of things.

Try a spray before any other moves imo. If successful - thats all she wrote. If the issue continues - plan B.

Listen to Jman...and you'll be fine. Don't get all freaked out your plants will not die if you stay vigilant with your treatments. Good Luck bud...I hate seeing bugs to, but you'll get through this.

Thank you both much, will be going to the hydro store in the morning.
Trying not to freak too much Lol But theres so many of them.

the absolute simplest and safest solution is a layer of sand like the kind found on the beach or in a pool filter, 2 inches thick on top of the soil, It will prevent springtails and gnats from coming up out of the soil, thus making them dead

no joke this really does work

Latest posts

Back