Can I tie colas horizontally?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaceful

Reaction score
I am in the second week of flower and have 2 ladies left. They are stretching and I have limited head room. Do any of you think tying the top branches "slightly" is advisable? I just would like to tie the main branches so they are at a 45*-60* angle or so which would help me to keep the lights further down. I am using 8X 4' T5HO so I have alot of light surface area. Any thoughts? Will the cola only form properly if it is perfectly vert? Thanks.

Well, actually the cola won't form "properly" if by that you mean 1 big main cola- you will get lots of offshoots that will all develop nicely. End result will be the same as far as quantity goes. Cowboy's pics explain it all. Good luck to you.

I've used bamboo sticks and wire ties for years growing out stretcher strains. Wrapping the cola's round the squats that yielded better in their inherent xmas tree shape. I've improved yield greatly so by doing this...Much p&l. Laters

Do it all the time, be carefule, tie lightly, and don't forget you can always pinch and twist ever so slightly on the stalk to get it to bend a bit for you...

Thanks a bunch guys. I enjoyed Cowboy's pics this am before they vanished. Forgot to ask if he would tie down or not if given the option with his lighting. Decisions... decisions.:rolleyes:

Yo Peaceful, I've had a lot of fun shaping colas. If you work slowly, you can make them take a lot of turns. During flowering, you have to bring the full cola over just enough to make it turn towards the light. It takes a week for it to move good. I made a "Bird" back in the 70's. 4 curled buds and a 5th bent only once. Slid them all together and had a great laugh.

Like the others said, you have to go realllllllllll slooooooow. Snapping a bud in half that is only half formed is a bummer. (Ask me how I know that).

If you gently pull your entire stem over just enough to lower the bud, it'll grow back towards the light in it's new position.

Do them all and move them to opposite sides of the grow space. You can gain a foot or more this way.

Please, don't break any.

Stoney.

peaceful said:
Thanks a bunch guys. I enjoyed Cowboy's pics this am before they vanished. Forgot to ask if he would tie down or not if given the option with his lighting. Decisions... decisions.:rolleyes:

I like the way they produce not tied down. My Floras do a great job on a plant thats no bigger then 3 ft,,,any bigger then that,,I would tie it down and she will be fine. The one I have now stopped dead in its tracks at 30".:hubba: 17 Colas,,the main cola is very nice. This one is 7.5 weeks flower under T5's

Thanks brother. I am not sure if I will have a choice this time. My girls are 2' tall (from pot) and only have 14" of head room left. They have been on 12/12 for 12 days now. One is bonus bean and one White Widow. WW is a smidge taller and has 2 main colas forming and 2 that are just a couple inches shorter. I think I will try to tie the 2 main colas just enough for the next 2 to catch them. More like LST at this point I guess. I would like to leave them alone but they may bonk their head. How long into flower do WW stretch?

Latest posts

Back