Cfl ??????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmathews

Reaction score
If I want to do a one plant grow, in a 2' x 2' x 3'. I know its very small space and im gonna have to keep it small. I wanna do every thing with cfls ( meaning veg ang flower). Can I do this? If so what type and how many do I need to complete my grow? Thank you for any info.

i dont think 3 ft. tall is enough room, you got to figure your pot to be 10-12 inches tall and then your lights,IMO you need at least 4 foot of height... i meant to say 3 foot is not tall enough.... sorry...but i dont do any of that fancy micro stuff.

If you go into flower early any strain should work, but Lowryder #2 would be a great strain for you.... Stays under 1'6" almost all of the time. Its an auto flowering strain so you would not even need a timer!

if you havent got your lights yet i seriously suggest you look into a HPS. You can find cheap 150 watters that will out perform the CFLs. My first two grows were with 16 27watt cfls and i replaced 12 of them with the one HPS.
Less power used, less heat, way more intense light.
Im by far no expert but using only 3 feet you might get away with only one 150 watt hps.

Thanx cannonball, but the ballast and fixtures are my problem. Im not a electrician, every forum in here it seems that every one talks about splittn the ballast or something to that nature. What i wanna do is go to lowes and pic everything up i need. HPS is what I really wanna use. Can i buy every thing at lowes? If so what do I need for a 1-3plant set up. I Can actually get about 5' out of the hieght of my grow space if need be. I already have a timer and knick nack stuff. This is my first indoor grow, I wanna buy the lights and not have to tear them apart to be able to use them. And I really dont wanna have to spend 150 bucks on a set up offline. Thanx again in advance

if you add up the cost of fixtures, cfl's and fans for cooling your looking at 100-150 dollars. I dont have Lowes here but im sure they carry some form of security lighting, look into it. They come with a ballast. (By the way you might have to wire your CFLs anyway).

Heres how you wire a hps..what you need: HPS, 1 heavy gauge extension cord, and two wire cap thingy's
open the box and look at the light. there should be 1 white wire 1 black wire and maybe 1 green wire or bare wire
Cut off the female end of the extension cord.
Attach the white on white and black on black, screw on the cap thingers.
Some lights are diff so next attach green on green OR there may be a green screw on the light fixture, feed the green wire from the cord to the screw and screw it down.
Thats it, plug it in. Like i said you might have to wire up fixtures for CFLs anyway.
Cost was roughly the same for me and heat is no longer an issue
Pic 1 a security light Pic two the extension cord wiring
HPS!.JPGwires.jpg

WHAT WATT HPS IS THAT? i JUST LEFT LOWES AND FOUND A 70W THATS A DUSK TO DAWN SECURITY LIGHT. THE GUY THAT WORKS THERE TOLD ME IT WOULD NOT RUN DURING THE DAY?????? SOME KIND OF SENSOR????? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WILL IT RUN DURING THE DAY? IS A 70W HPS ENOUGH FOR A 1-3 PLANT GROW IN A SMALL CLOSET? JUST MADE IT TALLER, ITS A 2X2X4.5'

There are 150 watt HPS that have built-in ballast.
You just plug it in.

Gb

jmathews said:
WHAT WATT HPS IS THAT? i JUST LEFT LOWES AND FOUND A 70W THATS A DUSK TO DAWN SECURITY LIGHT. THE GUY THAT WORKS THERE TOLD ME IT WOULD NOT RUN DURING THE DAY?????? SOME KIND OF SENSOR????? WHAT DO YOU THINK? WILL IT RUN DURING THE DAY? IS A 70W HPS ENOUGH FOR A 1-3 PLANT GROW IN A SMALL CLOSET? JUST MADE IT TALLER, ITS A 2X2X4.5'

ok go back and look around, you should find the 150 watt. Built in ballast, now the sensor comes with it in the box. Its in a little box, so plug it into the top then rip the top off the little box and put it back over the sensor. Now it works fine..tape will also work.

check out the lighting stickies in the LIGHTS forum before you decide, they'll tell you everything you need to know about CFL, HPS
look up lumins per square foot

hey man i got the same one from lowes. on the top of the light is a sensor do like i did and cover it with white out or nail polish. that way the sensor will pick up no light.

jmathews said:
Thanx cannonball, but the ballast and fixtures are my problem. Im not a electrician, every forum in here it seems that every one talks about splittn the ballast or something to that nature. What i wanna do is go to lowes and pic everything up i need. HPS is what I really wanna use. Can i buy every thing at lowes? If so what do I need for a 1-3plant set up. I Can actually get about 5' out of the hieght of my grow space if need be. I already have a timer and knick nack stuff. This is my first indoor grow, I wanna buy the lights and not have to tear them apart to be able to use them. And I really dont wanna have to spend 150 bucks on a set up offline. Thanx again in advance

You don't need to be an electrician, you just need to be able to follow directions. You may or may not be able to pick everything up at Lowe's. Why can't you buy what you need online (you're not a kid living at home trying to grow in his closet are you?)? In addition to lighting you are going to need ventilation. You need more than just an oscillating fan moving air around. You need to exchange the air in your space 3-4 times a minute to provide the plants with enough CO2. When you get into flowering, you are going to have to have a space that is absolutely light tight. You need 5000 l per sq ft. So a space that is 2 x 2 would require 20000 l. Smaller wattage lights lose light intensity faster than larger wattages, so you might want to consider scrog or lst.

I have 2 plants in a 2 x 2 x 4' space with 2 150W HPS (I did do modifications to them). I am cooling the space with a computer fan.

i've been growin in a 2x2x4 box for almost a year now.. doing 4 to 6 plants at a time with good yeilds. any where from 1 to 2oz per plants. i started this box with cfls only. i had 17 42watt cfls just a few inches from my tops. i grow in 1 gallon pots unless i do taller plants. most of my plants stay under 2 feet tall. now i have 2 of the 150 watt hps and couldn't be happier with the results.

as for wirein the 150watt hps its easier than it looks. i seperated my ballasts from the lights to control temps better but you wouldn't have to. i promise you'll save alot of money by ordering the $20 hps. jmo hope this helps

Where you get the 20$ hps? And to the hemp goddess , no im 28yrs old, married, with three children. But thanx for the info.

Go to E-conolight.com Get the 150W HPS pendant light. All u do is take the back off the thing and there is 2 wires that are not connected to anything, a white and a black one. Take an old cord cut it to length and connect em up. Im not sure whether the small side of the plug goes to the black cord and the big side to the white cord. Its one of them. Thought it was going to be hard. Very Simple, a 10yearold could do it. Out preforms CFL anyday of the week.

Latest posts

Back