Cheese breeding project (part 2)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ey up KT,

glad to hear your girls are doing well :)

But my girls are clones of a strain called Cheese,a skunk #1 plant that sponateously mutated(as happens in nature)back in around 1988 and has travelled the world in clone form up until today.

But I'm using her in a breeding project to try to get the Cheese chemotype/resin profile into seed form and am 'selfing' the plant,that is,inducing male flowers,collecting the pollen and pollinating herself to produce whats called an 'S1',which is seed from a self pollinated plant.

This will produce all female seeds but they won't be faithful copies of the Cheese but will have her among that selfed offspring and the trick is to locate the plant closest to the true Cheese resin profile and self her again,the idea being the subsequent population should start to show more plants with the Cheese profile and self yet again until hopefully the majority of the seeds carry the Cheese genetic info.

This to be honest is a very difficult task given I'm using low plant populations and will defo need luck so let the genetic dice fall where they may and lets hope fate smiles on me.:)

I can only give it my best honest shot with the tools I have,but it's gonna be a fun ride and I hope to learn much along the way.:guitar:

DSC_0052.jpg

Thats awesome man. I wanted to try, if I get more room/more place, to start playing with genetics, and try and make new strains via cross breeding.

Good luck man, I wish I could help ya, id love to be a part of this. Im definitely stickin around to watch though.

But seriously, what is that blue mess! Is that the Cheese? Thats beautiful.

Hi again KT, :)

na man,that's just a Skunk #1 in my grow.It was an underexposed pic so I posterised it much like the pic here.:farm:

DSC_0162-1.JPG

That's the 13 new Cheese clones I've just taken along with a Nevilles Haze girl top right. :)

Some will be pollinated with a first backcross to Mum and some again selfed.

She's my posh totty for this grow and is well worth the 14 week/98 day wait.

DSC_0063.jpg

Intersting stuff, WAAAAY over my head as yet but interesting.
Think i'll stick around on this one and train my brain a bit.

Glad it tickles your noodle Newbud.I find it fascinating myself.:)

That's a few close ups of the leaves on Cheese clones I took 24 hours ago.

CSC_0014-2.JPG

CSC_0016-2.JPG

CSC_0032-1.JPG

Are those pics from the 13 new clones or from your others?
Just curios cos of the crystals
They are REALLY green is that under natural light?

Rockster, from what ive gathered, is also a rockster at photography, and playing with lights/exposures as well. hehe

Is that a macro lens you have? Whats your gear? Youve got some beautiful pictures going on here.

I was wondering though, do you have an original cheese, or just a cross breed one? I was reading that, if you turn a plant into a hermie, the seeds would be exact copies, but they may also contain the genetic mutations that caused it in the first place.

:holysheep: your plants are beautiful! i envy your plant diversity knowledge.:p

KeepsTen said:
Rockster, from what ive gathered, is also a rockster at photography, and playing with lights/exposures as well. hehe

Is that a macro lens you have? Whats your gear? Youve got some beautiful pictures going on here.

I was wondering though, do you have an original cheese, or just a cross breed one? I was reading that, if you turn a plant into a hermie, the seeds would be exact copies, but they may also contain the genetic mutations that caused it in the first place.

Hi KT,I use a Nikon D60 with the standard 18-55mm nikkor lens but have recently got a Sigma 70mm macro,a manual lens and am waiting on a Sigma ringflash as I'm just using the pop up toy flash on the camera with which I'm just getting by on for the moment.

The Cheese is the original as this is a breeding project and a cross would be of no use to me and have twice grown Big Buddha's Cheese for comparison and am more impressed by Sonics work with the Cheese and I ain't even smoked it yet ha ha!:rofl:

A plant which is a genetically scripted hermie will produce more hermies but a healthy plant can be made to produce male pollen and this is a useful breeding tool and if properly used will not lead to seeds that produce hermies.

I much to prefer to grow 'natural' seeds with a male population but as I say,selfing to access genetic info in a plant is very useful.

And hey,you heard it here first,just been phoned up,my copy of:

Advances In Hemp Research by Paolo Ranelli has just turned up at my bruvs so my nose will be stuck in that for the next few days woot woot!:clap:

Heh, the next question would naturally be.... Are you as dedicated to your work/school?

Okay, ill definitely be seeking you when I decide to buy seeds as this grow winds down.

I'm a free thinkin' humanist KT so I'd like to think I'm dedicated to humanity,my fellow brothers and sisters. :)

There's the book I've been waiting for.

Advances In Hemp Research.:cool:

DSC_0073.jpg

to quote a Bruce Lee and Mr Han Man saying this in enter the dragon in my own style you understand.......

rockster your skills with a camera are exceptional

bet your reply will be similar

been practicing hey

lol

anyways rockster matey when you give a plant nitrogen it wont bother the plant as it wont uptake it if its not needed but as a footnote in veg mode esp nitrogen given to the plant will/can be stored for when the plant needs to supplement its diet like when in flower mode for want of a better expression.

well thats my understanding of nute take up and im sticking to it until you tell me better no doubt.

awesome what your doing rockster but why are you after having the nearest thing to original cheese seeds which as we all know dont exist and if your lucky fella you smashed it dude.

ps dont forget who your friends are when you succeed btw

rotflmao

uk420maan

Man... Pot looks so pretty.

Mine are finally starting to show distinct stems for leaves, and it looks so pretty. I cant help but sit there and watch them. Its cool how different they may look too.

Thanks for popping in chaps and here's a few pics of the new cross. :)

Cheese x Skunk #1.

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Rockster, you've got a awesome garden goin' on...it could pass as the garden of a rockstar...Can't believe i've not checked out any of your grows before ...Congrats on the new cross, i'm sure there won't be much to gripe about :) ...Sounds like you've got this breeding/cross-pollenation down pat ...From your earlier bud pics , i would say this is gonna put out some exceptional buds :D I've taken a great interest in the Cheese recently, and have always thought S.#1 was a great strain...but still yet to start any real genetics...Hope ya keep us Updated on this ...Keep it Up and Keep it GREEN Rockster...:ciao:

Dang, you crossed, seeded and started those babies already? That was fast!

How are the mom's doing?

Looking good :aok: I'm still watching and learning :watchplant:

Latest posts

Back