cloning a flowering plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizquick

Reaction score
Ive read alot of things about cloning. And i was wondering if anyone could help me with my question. Right now i only have one grow light avaliable to use for my plant. So i was wondering if a few weeks before i cut down my plants to be dried and cured if i could make clones and once i didnt need my light for flowering anymore if i could make those clones revert to the vegging stage. Know i understand that the farther into the flowering cycle the harder it is to make the clones reroot and veg again. But is it possible?

So if it is possible would it take longer for the clones to start growing again or would be be faster to start from seeds again?

And i also heard that a second generation plant ( i.e. the clones) are more potent then their mothers. Any truth to this?

Yes you can clone a flowering plant...But it is going to take longer for her to revert back into VEG...IMO i would make a cheap bubble cloner they work great..there is a sticky on it in the DIY section on here that massproducer has posted...i made one and now i have no problems cloning...IMO it take about the same time to clone as it dose to start from seeds but it also depends on the strain you growing some clone a little eaisier and faster than others...and a clone will be no better of a smoke than the mother...They are identical hence the word CLONE....hope this helpl good luck and have fun...PS with a clone you already know the sex so no waiting around to sex the plants and then rid the males this is the greatest advantage for cloning...

You could also reveg the mother plant. When you harvest it chop her low but make sure to leave a few of the lower branches with some leaves on them on the plant. Then just slap her under 24 hour light and go read a novel or something lol. You should have new cloneable shoots in a few weeks. (I just made up a word.)

Tater you said to cut her low? So are you meaning still cut the stem just leave a few fan leaves and buds and obviously the roots and such? This brings up another issue i think... at what point in time will the soil the mother is in be completely out of nutes and no longer benefit the mother? Would it be easier for a full grown mature plant to revert to vegging rather then a clone?
Thanks for all the help

You should have better results reveging the mother than trying to clone a plant that far into flower. The mother already has a root system built and a delivery system for nutes. Basically what you do is this.

1) Harvest your plant as normal but be sure to leave the lowest branches with the popcorn buds on em, these are the branches that will be responsible for photosynthesis and are needed. Any branches would technically work as long as there are leaves.

2) Water the plant, if you want you could also start feeding it with veg nutes but be careful not to over do it. Like maybe quarter strength.

3) Put it under 24 hour light or 18/6 whatever you want as long as your dark period is less than 12 hours. Its up to you, but more light = better right now.

4) Leave it alone and don't mess with it. Sing her some songs, maybe read her a story now and then, I recommend the little engine that could

5) in 2-3 weeks time you should have 4 inch shoots of new growth, clip clone and grow some more bud =)

If youre luck Biz youre plants may show sex before you even start flower phase. This way you wont have to send your mother back into veg mode. Keep an eye out for those pistils ( i think thats what theyre called) by the nodes.
Thats the situation im in right now but Im not going to take clones form this plant b/c its been horribly stressed...LOL

Latest posts

Back