Cloning wars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Borrego

Weed guru in training😜😜😜
Staff member
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am starting a thread on cloning. All are welcome. Post your clones. Successes, failures. Tips and tricks. Everyone should have or want to have this knowledge. My first try at cloning was an epic failure. My second attempt 2 of 4 rooted. The other 2 wilted and I tossed them this morning. 50% I will take that at least I am improving. I started more clones this morning. Panama reds, the black and Maui waui. I can’t wait to see what happens. These are my first 2 to root . The bigger one is a week in dirt. The other I just put there yesterday. She is not under a light yet but is getting light from a sun roof but not directly.
Both are Pink mango X GDP
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I've cloned my blackberries, lemons,peppers, weed and several other things.
I just cut at an angle,stick in water, stick in cloning powder and put into dirt or sometimes in water with a bubbler.
I even have stuck things in my fountain until it has roots.😁

I've cloned my blackberries, lemons,peppers, weed and several other things.
I just cut at an angle,stick in water, stick in cloning powder and put into dirt or sometimes in water with a bubbler.
I even have stuck things in my fountain until it has roots.😁
Thats funny

Nice thread Jan. Next time ya break off a branch in the wind. Rough her up n throw it in some tap water with some root hormone in it and place it in the shade. That branch will root no matter the size. Even if the plant it'self looks like hell it will recover if there's roots.

My single Durban Poison clone looks pathetic right now but once those roots develop it's on.
She had a few going when I planted her yesterday. Now I sit back n wait to see new growth comeling from that bud.
IMG_20240520_152943432.jpg
IMG_20240520_140853130.jpg

It'll take her a month to reach the level of the others.
IMG_20240520_195136526.jpg

I never clone during flower, though it's obviously possible. I usually clone the underneath larfy branches and always directly into soil. Scrape the stem up a bit, have at least two cleaned node sites underground, wet, cover in root hormone then into solo cups filled with premoistened dirt. Then, I just treat them like seedling with a humidity dome and water with a sprayer lightly. We get close to 100% unless we fail them. I'm cloning before the month is out and will share some pics.

Nice thread Jan. Next time ya break off a branch in the wind. Rough her up n throw it in some tap water with some root hormone in it and place it in the shade. That branch will root no matter the size. Even if the plant it'self looks like hell it will recover if there's roots.

My single Durban Poison clone looks pathetic right now but once those roots develop it's on.
She had a few going when I planted her yesterday. Now I sit back n wait to see new growth comeling from that bud.
View attachment 356929View attachment 356930

It'll take her a month to reach the level of the others.
View attachment 356931
Nice that is the kind of info I am looking for. Things you learn by doing. Successes and failures. I also want to learn what not to do

One thing i do right away after taking a cutting is put it into water. Just as soon as you cut it off....Then dip in the cloning gel. I slice the Root Riot cube open and carefully put the gel stem in from the side so it does not just get squeezed back out the top of the plug.

Hasnt failed yet

One thing i do right away after taking a cutting is put it into water. Just as soon as you cut it off....Then dip in the cloning gel. I slice the Root Riot cube open and carefully put the gel stem in from the side so it does not just get squeezed back out the top of the plug.

Hasnt failed yet
Good to know right now, I soak the plugs I am going to use. Then I lop off a piece of aloe vera and put the fresh cuttings directly into the Aloe vera stump. Then I go inside and get everything stripped and placed into a plug sitting in the water and very small amount of silica. I leave the plugs with the cuttings in about a half inch of water.

Good to know right now, I soak the plugs I am going to use. Then I lop off a piece of aloe vera and put the fresh cuttings directly into the Aloe vera stump. Then I go inside and get everything stripped and placed into a plug sitting in the water and very small amount of silica. I leave the plugs with the cuttings in about a half inch of water.
I also change the wster every few days.

Hasnt failed yet
Yep. You want to keep it wet and try and keep air out of the cut end.

I cut 'em off the mothers with a pair of surgical scissors and directly into a cup of water. After I've cut all the ones I want, I take each one and put a angle cut on the stem with a scalpel. I take the scalpel and scratch some of the green bark off of the last half inch or so and either put 'em in the homemade cloner or in a tiny dixie cup with wet vermiculate and put the cups in a tray with a dome. That's how I did the ones I used to sell at the pot shop. In vermiculate, you can pull 'em out easily and wash the roots off under the tap and then they can go into the rocks for RDWC or into soil in an appropriate pot.

I was having 100% success with floraflex plugs and clonex, then my landlord went and got a new injection pump for the chlorine and I've been knocked down to 0% the last few attempts.
Getting ready to run a set of clones soon.
Will be using an Ez-Clone 32 and Kelp4Less kloning powder. Will update as I go.

Last edited:
I was having 100% success with floraflex plugs and clonex, then my landlord when and got a new injection pump for the chlorine and I've been knocked down to 0% the last few attempts.
Getting ready to run a set of clones soon.
Will be using an Ez-Clone 32 and Kelp4Less kloning powder. Will update as I go.
Chlorine should not be in tap water

Latest posts

Back