Closet Grow questions...first time!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webwalker420

Reaction score
I have decided to create a closet grow and have been working on it the last week. I have done a lot of research and still have a few questions I would like to get people's opinions on.

First, my closet is 2.5(W) x 6(L) x 8(H) and I plan on growing 3-4 plants.

For ventilation I cut a round hole in the far right side of the ceiling and ran 4" flex duct all the way down the side of the wall so the air comes into the bottom. In the attic I cut my AC ductwork and actually spliced this flex duct right into my AC duct work. When the AC is on it blows fresh air into the closet.

On the far left side of the ceiling I cut another hole for an exhaust fan. I installed a 110 CFM bathroom exhaust fan there.

I haven't finished this part yet, I still need to figure out what to do in the attic with the duct work coming off this fan and this is my first set of questions.

To finish this part, I have two options for exhausting.

First option- I could tap into an existing duct (no longer used by anything) that goes straight up and out through the roof. The duct is only 3" though and the fan's exhaust is a 4" so I have to use a reducer and I am not sure if this will be large enough to properly vent, also not sure about the odor. If I am venting out the roof do I have to worry about smell outside etc? It's a 1 story house.

Second option- Instead of tapping into the existing 3" duct work I could just vent into the attic. With this option I could use bigger duct, the 4" that comes off the fan and then an increaser to 6"....and then just put one of those home made carbon scrubbers at the end.

So which option is better do you think and do I have to worry about odor in this small of a grow. Other thing to consider in this is that my attic gets very hot in the summer so I don't know if that will affect a carbon scrubber.

I am taking this step by step and this is where I am at right now...I have everything else I need ordered so I would like any opinions or suggestions for this.

Thank you

i'd not have the ac blowing on my plants...i always hear people going on about how you shouldnt have drafts on the plants, but who knows for sure? since its already done, id say stick with it, but try and direct the cold air onto a wall or your lights so there isnt a sudden change in air temp every time your ac turns on. i'd go with the carbon scrubber dumping into the attic, or even just dump into your attic, no scrubber, and if later on you're coming back from work and you cant tell if its time to do laundry or if thats your house a block away, deal with it when the problem arises. this way the smell will at least (hopefully) leave the attic in smaller parts mixed with that nice musky smell of attic. and with 3 or 4 plants, the smell shouldnt be TOO bad. btw, what light(s) are you planning on using?

EDIT: how far are you from your neighbors too?

I am going to use 1 400watt HPS with a reflector hood.

My neighbors are fairly close on either side of me. Both of the houses on either side are 2 story.

My only concern about venting to attic is if that will cause the attic to fill up with the smell and then it will linger around rather then venting to outside where air is constantly moving it away etc.

Also, for the AC, I can cut the flex pipe to have it blowign in the middle or top of the room but I heard venting air in the bottom is the best. The AC doesn't blow too hard through it, just enough to feel a light draft....

I would also let the air into the attic with a carbon scrubber. If you have a good carbon scrubber, there shouldn't be too much of a smell in your attic. The AC shouldn't be a problem. Not enough to worry about. Sounds like everything else is in order. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care and be safe.

Yo Ho webwalker420,

I will agree with the guys about the carbon scrubber. I have my setup in my garage, and when I was just a couple weeks into the grow the smell was very strong in there untill I built my own scrubber, ( I followed the instructions here in the forums with a few slight modifications), I really couldn't be more pleased if I wanted. The heat will help the surface area of the carbon to absorb better in my opinion. Yeah scrubber in the attic using a three inch line is perfect.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

depends, if your concering the smell, go carbon scrubber, but if your not, why not go threw the 3 in, oh soo easy...

Alright guys, going with the carbon scrubber in the attic 4" duct to 6" scrubber.

Thanks for the advice....I will update in the future!

I would place the scrubber on the front of the exhost and then vent outside.

Timmyjg6 said:
I would place the scrubber on the front of the exhost and then vent outside.

I am not sure my fan would be able to handle that. I have a 110 CFM fan that is very quiet....I already installed it and I haven't seen any fans that do that much air for that much noise raiting (1.5 sones)..I will just try venting to attic with scrubber on that end first...if it doesn't work then I can always modify...

Latest posts

Back