couple of quick questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fellowsped

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my second year growing and my second year at this site. I start indoors and then move my babies outside when the weather permits up here. I built a box this year to start in that is roughly 1.5ft.x1.5ft.x2ft. i lined it with aluminum foil and i have 4 spiral cfl. bulbs about 3 in. off my babies for a total of 7,600 lumens. There's a small 4 in. fan blowing fresh air in the box but not directly on the plants.
The plants were started in miricle grow soil and 16 ounce cups about 2 weeks ago. They have grown well for the most part and have stayed pretty short starting the 4th set of leaves and are only about 3 in. tall. Don't know the strain grown from bagseed.
Now my questions. First i am hoping to have them inside another month, does it sound like i have enough light for the size they will be by then? Second is a few of my bigger ones have a purple stem and seem to droop just a little. I was thinking of giving them a quarter dose of fish emulsions but wasn't positive if they were still to fragile for ferts? I don't have pic. and at this point i don't think i will be able to get one so sorry about that cause i know a pic. is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the great site and all the awsome advice i've found on it.

we the light will maked but have in mine more light more grow now the nuts i will wait they are babys still if you want togive them some thing i will give them superthriv and plain wat er but no nuts yet remember you soil have enough to feed your plant for at least a month well thats my opinion good luck and peace out

For what it's worth I have read foil is the worst reflector to use. Use mylar or flat white. Also many say MG will let you down in the end. I'v never used MG so that's was i'v been told. Good luck:D:D

i know foil sucks. hopefully be heading to the hydro shop real soon to get some mylar. maybe look into some more lights as well

that purple stem could be the strain since your unaware of the actual type its hard to say , like 3patas said no nutes are needed your best bet is to just use water , MG in my opinion is great for babies & no i didnt say MJ (michael jackson) ummm how many plants is it that you have , they should easily be fine for another month at such a young age if not find a window possibly that they can sit in , thats helped mine survive not nesicerily grow (note) keep turning them if in window or they bend towards light

GL

fellowsped said:
i know foil sucks. hopefully be heading to the hydro shop real soon to get some mylar. maybe look into some more lights as well

For what you spent on foil, you could most likely have purchased flat white paint. Foil is worse than nothing IMHO. It creates hot spots and really does not reflect well at all. I would take down the foil and paint flat white.

I am a hydro person and do not use soil, but I know that there are issues with MG and MJ (I don't mean Michael Jackson either) and the time release of the nutrients.

There is a wealth of info here. I would encourage you to do some reading.

fellowsped said:
Hey everyone, this is my second year growing and my second year at this site. I start indoors and then move my babies outside when the weather permits up here. I built a box this year to start in that is roughly 1.5ft.x1.5ft.x2ft. i lined it with aluminum foil and i have 4 spiral cfl. bulbs about 3 in. off my babies for a total of 7,600 lumens. There's a small 4 in. fan blowing fresh air in the box but not directly on the plants.
The plants were started in miricle grow soil and 16 ounce cups about 2 weeks ago. They have grown well for the most part and have stayed pretty short starting the 4th set of leaves and are only about 3 in. tall. Don't know the strain grown from bagseed.
Now my questions. First i am hoping to have them inside another month, does it sound like i have enough light for the size they will be by then? Second is a few of my bigger ones have a purple stem and seem to droop just a little. I was thinking of giving them a quarter dose of fish emulsions but wasn't positive if they were still to fragile for ferts? I don't have pic. and at this point i don't think i will be able to get one so sorry about that cause i know a pic. is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the great site and all the awsome advice i've found on it.

Over the next month, they could outgrow your lights. CFL's haven't much penetration power.
"I".. would utilize the sun, if possible. Putting them OD on days weather permits, and supplementing w/ the cfls otherwise. It would also harden them off to the harsher OD environment, priorto planting.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna get ruid of that foil i think and i'm going to get a couple more bulbs because i don't have alot of time during the day where i can have them in a window. I have however been letting the window stay open and making it cool down in the room and the box to outside temps at least once a day to try to harden them off to the temps. but for the most part i'm just gonna have them inside long enough to beat the cold. Thanks again and safe gardening everyone

They also need to be hardened from the intensity of the sun aswell ;)

I agree with Hick and CH. Move them outside during the day and bring them back in before it gets dark and put them under the lights. That will harden them up to the sun and help with growth. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

I plan on putting them in a window and opening it up and hoping that hardens them off enough because were i'm located it's too sketchy to put them outside my house. When i do move them outside i will probably just throw some cut in half 2 lt. bottles over them to help out. Anyways thanks again for the help and i will try to keep everyone posted maybe with a grow journal or something.

Latest posts

Back