Couple Questions..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverenich

Reaction score
After Replanting most of my plants I bought a Indoor Floodlight as seen in the pics.. 65 watts.. Its about a foot away from the plants... The plants look better now.. but i still haven't gotten a ph tester walmart didn't have one so I'll go shop around today. I was wondering if maybe I should put more light in there? and if more then what kind? any tips would be great now thanks....:)

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Those halogen floodlights are useless, if thats what you are using. The light should be a few inches from the tops of the plants, its way too high. A light that size isnt even enough light to bud one of those plants. Do some research and invest some money in a nice light and you should be good.

I recommend an hps lamp. High Pressure Sodium. Hands down the best kind of light for making big buds.

Yes Lowes has them. Min. of 3000 lumens per sq.ft. 5000 is better

They sell 75- 125 watt HPS security lights at lowes and home depot for about 75-100 bucks a pop. Right now though like 3 full spectrum cfls about 6 inches over your growing area would be the best and cheapest bet. I would go witht he CFLs for now and save your money to get a nice HPS, not just the home driveway HPS lights they sell at lowes and home depot.

If i was going to use CFL's for now. How strong should i have them.. if i where getting 3 of them?

Daverenich said:
If i was going to use CFL's for now. How strong should i have them.. if i where getting 3 of them?

You need 5000 lumens per sq ft. You will have to do the math as we do not know how large your grow room is. :confused:

I am seeing a bunch of seedlings in your grow...... right now you could get away with 3, maybe 4 lil 23 watt 6500K Spectrum CFLs..... with those I would go to walmart and get those worklight sockets with the aluminum reflector, you will find them in the toll section... Lil square box about 8 inches and maybe 3 inches thick.... Put your 6500 K cfls in them and drop them right on top of those babies..... as they grow and your canopy gets bigger you are gonna have to add lights..... I see a LOT of lil cups in there..... when you start to flower however, you would be MUCH better off to get yourself some HPS lighting.....

Personally I squeeze 6 plants under each 400 watt HPS light..... that gets a bit tight though, 4 plants is reccommended, but I am a cheap bastard heh...

Good luck to ya though...

Fluorescent bulbs usually have the amount of lumens on the package. Plus, the package might give a color rating in K for Kelvin. Try to get one that are 6500k. I have some that are 1,600 lumens, and have a 5500 K rating, and they seem to work well. I had four of those on one plant for a total of 6,400 lumens. I had it at about 1-2 inches from the top of the plant.

Also, at Home Depot I picked up a couple Fluorex brand fluorescent floodlights. I wanted to get two 100 watt floodlights, but they only had one 100 watt light. So, I bought a 100 watt light and an 85 watt light. The 100 watt bulb puts out 10,500 lumens and the 85 watt bulb puts out 8,500 lumens. Both lights are rated at 6500 K. The floodlights were somewhat expensive, though. the 100 watt light, including fixture and bulb cost about $60.00. I forget what the 85 watt light cost. It was cheaper than the 100 watt light.

If there isn't a Kelvin rating on the bulb package, then look for Daylight. You want Daylight, not soft or bright white.

Remember, you want a minimum of 3000 lumens per square foot. You can get away with less lumens per square foot for vegetative growth, but for flowering you really want to have at least 3000 lumens per square foot. However, try to get a minimum of 3000 lumens even if veg, if possible.

Fluorescents can do a nice job for vegging. You just need to get enough of them. Plus, place them about 1-2 inches away. If that's too hot for them, then try 3 inches.

I just got back from Wally World and they had a 300 watt/42 watt 6500k flourex for $20 complete flood light kit.

well this my take on this.i started with using MH for veggin and switched to using cfls.i will go back to my MH.to me the growth rate is just as good either way.its just that with my setup,its easier for me to use the one light instead of the many cfls i was using.the cfls do throw alot of heat also.at least with my MH i can vent the hood.its just a matter of choice.

Man, you've got 26 plants there, even though they are seedlings right now. (They'll stay that size unless you up your lighting, fast!)
Let's say that 50% are male, then you're going to end up with at least a dozen plants. I'd say you are going to need at least 2 x 400HPS to deal with that many. . . You might decide to use 4ft fluoros for veg . . .

Latest posts

Back