Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason deer eat weed is because when they are put out, there are not too many plants as lush that time of year, however once they eat it, they'll not do it again. deer dont like weed

Wild animals can become familiar with the presence of ppl hair, dog hair, soap, dirty underwear, hot pepper spray, urine, feces, any of it. I've had them actually lean on a "fence" hard enough to force it down, in order to get a bite of my plants. AND..when they were walking in sweet, lucious native grass, as tall as their belly. Not just once, but a few times over the period of a couple of months. Once they start flowering, it seems they are much less desirable to critters.

yeah when the plants start flowering they dont eat it for some reason maybe the taste or something

That may be because it taste bad or because all the mast crops or acorn and berry grops are ready at that time and they eat alot mor mast crop and a lot less brouse that time of year. Slim

I read on a garden website that bloodmeal will repel deer, moose, oppussum, and rabbits because it makes them think there is predatory activity nearby? I'm not sure how true that is. I would think it would jsut start attracting unwanted things.

LaserKittensGoPewPew said:
I read on a garden website that bloodmeal will repel deer, moose, oppussum, and rabbits because it makes them think there is predatory activity nearby? I'm not sure how true that is. I would think it would jsut start attracting unwanted things.

It does/will 'pewpew. Blood and bone meal attracts vermin such as skunks, 'coon, coyotes, BEAR...they smell it, think it is a food source, and dig your plota up.

[ however once they eat it, they'll not do it again. deer dont like weed/QUOTE]..hey kade, I've found that they most certainly will return and eat it again. A few summers back, I had them vigorously "top" my plants 3 or 4 times. They even mashed the poultry wire fencing to get to it.
I finally caught them all lieing around a waterhole, empty, Ho-ho and Twinkie packages everywhere!..:rant::mad:

I read in a book to use peppers. Like a habenero spray or liqiud. The strong scent and flavor or something in the peppers is supposed to repel varmits and other critters.

I think for my outdoor grow this spring I'm going to just piss into a gallon jug and punch some holes in top to let the smell out...and also piss all around my site...Maybe even take a few poops. Add some chicken-wire and I guess I'll give the peppers a try. That would have to do the job of keeping animals out.

"Multiple" methods are best. I've found the habeneros to work pretty well on grasshoppers, but not so well for deer 'n elk.

i have always found that growing another grow like clovers or soybeans they will eat that before my plants or just grow a bunch of marijuana they cant eat all of it you know lol is i had as much pot as clover man that alot them hahahaha only got 5 tho

Get your self some bubble wrap. You can buy it or find this for free near furniture stores. the large size works best...Spread it out all around your grow area forming a barrier and stake it down well, as it will blow away otherwise...when the deer steps on this it scares the hell out of them and they run away

The only FOR SURE easy way to keep EVERYTHING away from MJ is lion,tiger,cougar...poo. That's right. Deer, rabbits, raccoons, rats be gone with the wind, zing like a bullet and no one is hurt. There are Zoo's, game parks with big cat's. Ask a vet. PEACE OUT

If there are no lions, tigers or cougar in your area their scat will not work the deer have no reason to be afaired of the smell of them. I have tried it, it did not protect my plants. chicken wire painted to make sure there are no shinly spots around that a strong fishing line tied 12 to 18 inches off the ground.

JB, the best thing going is Big Cat poo. Do you have a zoo or game park with lions, tigers, and bears. All pest rabbits, rats,deer smell the blood in the poo and they are gone with the wind, zing like a bullet, and walking on the wild side. I've seen deer from a stand, jump 16ft straight up. Good luck JB.Peace out.

one big bud said:
Get your self some bubble wrap. You can buy it or find this for free near furniture stores. the large size works best...Spread it out all around your grow area forming a barrier and stake it down well, as it will blow away otherwise...when the deer steps on this it scares the hell out of them and they run away

no offense but bubble wrap, really, this would be a pain in the arse and not very stealth at all.

So whats is more of a pain, having to start over with new plants or putting down bubble wrap. Also chances are if someone is close enough to see the bubble wrap they would already see the weed growing there. I have used this in and around my "regular" vegetable garden when i have a problem with critters and it WORKS..... No animals will walk on this more than once.
Oh, and i and my wife have tried everything we could find( i'll bet we have 15 different half used up bottles and containers of stuff that claimed to work sitting in the garage right now) to keep the critters away from a wide variety of plants and flowers and none of them work consistantly like bubble does.
A few years ago we tried this on a branched deer trail in one of our hunting areas where we wanted the deer to go a different direction. It worked like a charm(we had a trail cam near this and actually saw a deer getting scared away down the trail we wanted it to go down. :holysheep: THEY WILL NOT CROSS THIS STUFF......
One other thing that works on deer is to put up a wire around your plants at about 3 feet high with cans and bottles on it that will clank together when they touch it. This also scares them.......

I use urine that I buy at my local trapping store.There are just about any kind of urine mentionable for sale but I find wolf and coyote to be as good as any that I have tried.

Look for a Big Game Park or Zoo (in your area) and ask for some Lion/Cougar poo. You won't have any more unwanted pest, for sure. Peace out

I had quite a few plants topped this past summer due to deer. I tried those "deer away" containers that you stick in the ground and it didn't make a difference. I really don't know of any way that works besides starting your plants earlier inside so they are pretty good sized when they get outside. I have found deer tend to like the younger more palatable plants more than something that is larger and a little tougher.

Latest posts

Back