Depriving bud so that it gets fat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REEFER CHEEFER

Reaction score
ok so im about 2 and a half weeks away from harvest! And iv heared people talk about depriving the plant so that the buds get bigger/fatter:confused:. Is this true? So i would like to know what some of yall do prior to harvest?

2 weeks before harvest I feed with half strength nutes, then the final week I flush my plants 3 times during that week... This isnt to deprive buds of anything, its so I dont have fertilizers in my harvested bud...

Many people argue that this isnt needed, but IMO your bud will taste better and wont snap crackle and pop when you smoke it... Buds get big in the last 2 weeks anyways, they swell big and produce a lot of THC during this time.. This has nothing to do with not giving them nutes, They pull stored nutrients out of thier leaves...

MindzEye said:
2 weeks before harvest I feed with half strength nutes, then the final week I flush my plants 3 times during that week... This isnt to deprive buds of anything, its so I dont have fertilizers in my harvested bud...

Many people argue that this isnt needed, but IMO your bud will taste better and wont snap crackle and pop when you smoke it... Buds get big in the last 2 weeks anyways, they swell big and produce a lot of THC during this time.. This has nothing to do with not giving them nutes, They pull stored nutrients out of thier leaves...

Oh boy, now you started it.:holysheep:

Bottom line Reefer Cheefer, there is no scientific or statistical data to back up either claim; whether to continue feeding up to the end or whether you should flush as MindzEye suggests.

Personally, I don't flush, but other experienced and talented growers, like MindzEye, swear by it. This is one topic you're not going to get a definitive answer on. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming harvest.

BBFan said:
Oh boy, now you started it.:holysheep:

Bottom line Reefer Cheefer, there is no scientific or statistical data to back up either claim; whether to continue feeding up to the end or whether you should flush as MindzEye suggests.

Personally, I don't flush, but other experienced and talented growers, like MindzEye, swear by it. This is one topic you're not going to get a definitive answer on. Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming harvest.

LOL I wasnt trying to start anything!! I expressed both views, told him others feel it isnt needed...

Reefer Cheefer This is what I suggest.. If you have 2 plants then flush one and dont flush the other and see if you can tell a difference.

This is one of those subjects thats like what came first the chicken or the egg.. People can argue either side all day...

MindzEye said:
LOL I wasnt trying to start anything!! I expressed both views, told him others feel it isnt needed...

Reefer Cheefer This is what I suggest.. If you have 2 plants then flush one and dont flush the other and see if you can tell a difference.

This is one of those subjects thats like what came first the chicken or the egg.. People can argue either side all day...

Couldn't agree more!

Some people feel pretty strongly about it though. :ignore: Although I think we all agree either one is not about making the buds any fatter.

BBFan said:
Couldn't agree more!

Some people feel pretty strongly about it though. :ignore: Although I think we all agree either one is not about making the buds any fatter.

Yes agreed... :cool:

aplaisia said:
B.) The trichomes are responsive to dehydration causing them increase production of various metabolites.

Just wondering if you have links to any research on this, I just see one problem with doing this... Hydro, how do you dry out plants in hydro? They would shrivel and die... That would hinder trich production a lot... Im sure that this happens during the drying process after harvest...

Thanks for all the great input!!!! witch ever way i choose this harvest is still going to be great!!

aplaisia said:
I would recommend
1. flushing and
2. letting the medium dry (during the last week).

A.) The flushing is to make the plant used it's stored sugars (chemical energy) and nutrients (so you don't smoke or consume them).

B.) The trichomes are responsive to drought causing them increase production of various proteins and metabolites.

Item B. Could you point out where that is in your bioinformatics please aplaisia?

I was about the post on this topic and and saw this topic and figured it is a good a spot as any.....

AK-48 - Indc/Stav mix

I don't know if you all know that starvation by nutrients STOPS trichome development. 100% stops it. I don't know if this contradicts popular thought... but I tested this for 3.5 weeks. Water fed only after the 7th week for 3.5 weeks. TRICHOMES NEVER CHANGED from their 30%cloudy ~ 70% clear standing. I started with HEAVY flush, then just watered for the remaining weeks.

At ~10.5 weeks I started to refeed, at this point ALL the fan leaves have fallen or were yellow/brown. At ~11 weeks 2 days the plants were completly filled with fan leaves.

-NOW at 12 weeks with Ak-48 strain. The buds are HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY, about above average diameter but HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY.
-At LEAST 4 or 5 of the 6-8 colas are supported or they will break ( 1 already did).

Trichomes you ask? The SAME 30% - 70% mix. Why is this? I don't know. What implications if any does this have? I don't know. Am I completely wrong or missing something? Maybe. In any event, goodnite.

Aplaisa, I admire you for being very educated on this subject and actually having proof of it...

Now that you put this laymans terms its easier to understand this, but I have read studies that show UV lighting does this to plants as well as very intense direct light, when I say intense Im talking more power than an hps... Couldnt you just use UV lighting for this instead of starving plants for water that could hinder the size of your buds?

aplaisia said:
I would provide the drought conditions during the final stages when harvesting.

Hi Brandon-

How would you define "drought conditions"? During flower, I try to keep my RH at 35% or lower and only water them when they start to show signs of drying (a little droop to the fan leaves). Is that dry enough?

........:huh:... "RD22" ..wasn't that one of those little robots from Star wars??.. :rofl:

I still don't really understand the benefit of depriving your plants of water--I didn't think that immature trichs contained much THC or other cannaboids. I have unintentionally deprived my girls of water right before harvest, and I have never seen any kind of benefit.

I "sweated" (deprived it of all water) out my GDP that I just harvested..let it just chill in a waterfarm bucket with the drip ring off for a few days before I pulled it...

The only difference I can tell is that it dried faster than the one I pulled a few days before...the one that I didn't "sweat"...

Latest posts

Back