Do They Look Ok ? Possible Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bubbles

Reaction score
First let me say;
Hello my name is Mr. Bubbles and I am new to growing and this forum. I am looking forward to my stay, just trying to settle in now and get caught up on some of the FAQ's...
I think I am having a problem so here goes;
I have 6 plants Skunk#1. They were germinated and placed in soil 7 - 14 days ago all at differnt times. The temps are between 78-80 degrees. The lights are 6 23w daylight CFL's and the soil is Pro-Mix.
I have a few plants that look abnormal but remember I am new. The two plants in question appear to be growing slower and the leaves are curling under. In my last 6, I had one plant exhibit the same type of growth. This last plant grew to about 6 inches before it stopped growing and was only about 3 inches wide. It went up and all the leaves just stayed droopy curling under before it stopped growing, looked pretty pathetic.
Anyone have any ideas ?

My setup;
onexv7.jpg

My setup again;

twoac0.jpg

Plant #1, looks ok bad photo;

threewo0.jpg

Plant #2, the one I am worried about;

fouruk8.jpg

The battery died on the camera as I was taking these last two but I think you get the general idea on this last one...

hey u need to put them ladies in bigger pots they might just be root bound ,,in my opinion bro ,but i caould also be outher things but if i was u id start with the easyest thing to fix ,,cause if the roots cant grow it will make it slow down are comletly stop growing all thogater,,besides that the look pretty good man ,,and welcome to the growing famnow all im talking about is the ones in coffe cups the ones on the top look pretty good ,,also what are u keeping ur ph at ,ive found that ph is very very important ,

HAPPY GROWIN TOM TOM
AND HAPPY SMOKIN

i wonder, how often do you water? are you feeding every watering? do you let the soil dry between watering? how big are the pots?

Thanks for the info on imageshack, I will use the hosting services this site provides going forward. I am not to worried about this thread as I uploaded the images to imageshack using a proxy from a coffee shop about 3 hours from my home.

I watered the soil once before I placed the germinated seeds into the pots. Watered again 5-6 days later when the soil was dry and the pots were very light. Its been 3-4 days since my last watering. I would have to look at the calender to confirm exact days. I dont antipate watering again for another 2 days. My next watering I am thinking 1/4 dose of FF's GrowBig.

Does the plant look like it was over watered to you? It does look like it could be overwatered but I just dont see how. They have only been watered one time since they sprouted.

tiller08 said:
i wonder, how often do you water? are you feeding every watering? do you let the soil dry between watering? how big are the pots?
The soil did get VERY dry between watering. The pots are 5X5 and roughly 6 3/4 inches tall. If anything I think I waited one day to long before watering again. I am uncertain exactly on the PH, I have not checked lately. I am using tap water and when I last checked it was around 7 using drops. Please ignore the disaster below the 6 plants. The two in coffee cups are WW males finishing up flowering in only water under 21/3. The rest of mess is more male clones with maybe two females in there.

I dont know to much about pro-mix, is there any nutes in it? Drainage is real important, i would add some perlite when you transplant. I definately dont think its rootbound though as someone suggested. See what happens when it dries up a bit, but ph is real important as tap water can be pretty high so I would check that before watering.

I'm a little confused... it looks like you are flowering and vegging your girls in the same box? under the same light schedule? the babies vegging under 21/3 is fine, but you can't flower at that light schedule - they need to be on a 12/12 schedule. what you are doing there is putting the flowering girls back into veg.... and NO light can get at them in the 12 hr dark period.

also, do you have some kind of ventilation setup within the "fridge"? a couple of computer (muffin) fans would do good to move the air around the box. air circulation is key to preventing mold and allow proper respiration of the plants.

MJ is a finniky plant and ph lvls are crutial... since you are growing in soil, I recommend a ph of 6.5 or 6.6.

the girls look big enough to start taking nutes - weak at first, then gradually increasing. myself, I use a vegging fert with a NPK of 5-0-3.

the soil, Pro-Mix is fine... I use that also.

watering... I've been growing for quite some time myself, and even I used to overwater... so I went and spent $10 and got myself a MOISTURE METER.... DO THE SAME. it's worth it. and only water when the meter finally gets into the DRY zone... and make sure you push the meter ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POT. if you don't let the pot dry out completely, you could "drown" your plant and give it root rot.

another thing... when using tap water, you have to let the water sit out in air for at least 24hr for the chlorine in the water to dissipate. I simply fill a 5 gallong bucket and let it sit (open to the air) for at least a day at room temp.

there r possibly other issues, but with a lack of information, can't comment on those.

timdog4 said:
I dont know to much about pro-mix, is there any nutes in it? Drainage is real important, i would add some perlite when you transplant. I definately dont think its rootbound though as someone suggested. See what happens when it dries up a bit, but ph is real important as tap water can be pretty high so I would check that before watering.
Thanks for the info. The Pro-Mix does not contain any nutes and drains very well as it does include perlite. I will however be adding 1/4 dose of FoxFarm's GrowBig in the next water. I checked the PH again just now once with the water running 5 minutes and the next 10 minutes. Both readings came in between 6.5 and 7.0 using the drops.

IMO they need a transplant in to permenant homes and they really look underwatered. Id say to water them a bit and get them in what ever size potters you going to be using. If thats all the bigger potter your going to use for that micro box cool but they do look under watered.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I'm a little confused... it looks like you are flowering and vegging your girls in the same box? under the same light schedule? the babies vegging under 21/3 is fine, but you can't flower at that light schedule - they need to be on a 12/12 schedule. what you are doing there is putting the flowering girls back into veg.... and NO light can get at them in the 12 hr dark period.

also, do you have some kind of ventilation setup within the "fridge"? a couple of computer (muffin) fans would do good to move the air around the box. air circulation is key to preventing mold and allow proper respiration of the plants.

MJ is a finniky plant and ph lvls are crutial... since you are growing in soil, I recommend a ph of 6.5 or 6.6.

the girls look big enough to start taking nutes - weak at first, then gradually increasing. myself, I use a vegging fert with a NPK of 5-0-3.

the soil, Pro-Mix is fine... I use that also.

watering... I've been growing for quite some time myself, and even I used to overwater... so I went and spent $10 and got myself a MOISTURE METER.... DO THE SAME. it's worth it. and only water when the meter finally gets into the DRY zone... and make sure you push the meter ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POT. if you don't let the pot dry out completely, you could "drown" your plant and give it root rot.

there r possibly other issues, but with a lack of information, can't comment on those.
Thanks for your comments. While the area may look like a fridge its actually a closet :) In regards to ventilation there is a 6" Suncourt fan blowing cool air from another room across the top of the plants and the light. There is also a 6" passive exhaust into the attic at the top of the closet. Currently there are no females flowering in this room as you pointed out and I stated above the light schedule is 21/3. Please let me know any additinal information I may be "lacking" as I will gladly do my best to fill in the blanks.-Please disregard anything you see below the 6 plants its not really relevant to the question at hand, but just in case you are curious I will attempt to fill that void. In the back is an aero cloner I have filed with 10 males cuttings and 3 female cuttings. All of which were taken from plants 2 weeks into flower. All of the cuttings above are simply practice to fine tune this method of taking clones. In the front in coffee cups is the main cola's from two large male WW's. They have been topped and chopped and placed into veg to avoid polination of my harvest. The male colas continue to flower under 21/3 dropping the pollen in the homemade trays. Tonight I should be able to collect the pollen and get it into the freezer for 2-3 weeks before I need it.

Dubbaman said:
IMO they need a transplant in to permenant homes and they really look underwatered. Id say to water them a bit and get them in what ever size potters you going to be using. If thats all the bigger potter your going to use for that micro box cool but they do look under watered.
Thanks for posting, I wish I could start and finish in the same pots but its out of the question. I normally finish in 10"X10"X11" pots, I would be lucky to get two of them in this area."UNDER WATERED" that is the first I have heard this and it maybe the case as I originally thought I went at least one day to long without watering...

I have to run out and would love to hear some more replies, please keep it coming. Feel free to ask questions. I can not believe that guy used the words -Pro-Mix- and -Fine-; in the same sentence, this stuff is amazing...
In regards to the moisture meter this individual suggested, are you ever concerned about breaking up the root mass. When I push a PH meter into the soil I can feel it cutting through roots or at least my mind thinks that. Plugging the soil weekly for water levels sounds like it would do more damage then good to the roots. I guess that is a topic for another day...

Mr. Bubbles said:
Thanks for your comments. While the area may look like a fridge its actually a closet :) In regards to ventilation there is a 6" Suncourt fan blowing cool air from another room across the top of the plants and the light. There is also a 6" passive exhaust into the attic at the top of the closet. Currently there are no females flowering in this room as you pointed out and I stated above the light schedule is 21/3. Please let me know any additinal information I may be "lacking" as I will gladly do my best to fill in the blanks.-Please disregard anything you see below the 6 plants its not really relevant to the question at hand, but just in case you are curious I will attempt to fill that void. In the back is an aero cloner I have filed with 10 males cuttings and 3 female cuttings. All of which were taken from plants 2 weeks into flower. All of the cuttings above are simply practice to fine tune this method of taking clones. In the front in coffee cups is the main cola's from two large male WW's. They have been topped and chopped and placed into veg to avoid polination of my harvest. The male colas continue to flower under 21/3 dropping the pollen in the homemade trays. Tonight I should be able to collect the pollen and get it into the freezer for 2-3 weeks before I need it.
i prolly read it wrong but did u say your males are droping polin ,,if so if they are in the same room are any were close to tghe same room they already may have polinated your females ,,you can even get the polin on u and when u go into look at the ladies it can get all over them ,,so id be carefull with that

i think its a great set up, be you should do what i did and go from the curly q fluoros and gow with this instead for veging, it would be perfect for your space and a lot more efficient.http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907

and what are you using for flowering light?? the pots are just about perfect for your set up so i give you props on that. i like smaller pots but if you space increases then pot size should too...right!

tom-tom said:
i prolly read it wrong but did u say your males are droping polin ,,if so if they are in the same room are any were close to tghe same room they already may have polinated your females ,,you can even get the polin on u and when u go into look at the ladies it can get all over them ,,so id be carefull with that
Thanks for the tip..... Looks like I am waiting this one out, I will post pictures again in a few days.

jjsunderground said:
i think its a great set up, be you should do what i did and go from the curly q fluoros and gow with this instead for veging, it would be perfect for your space and a lot more efficient.http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907

and what are you using for flowering light?? the pots are just about perfect for your set up so i give you props on that. i like smaller pots but if you space increases then pot size should too...right!
T5's are certainly an option and I have thought about it. I just visted a friend running 4 4ft tubes, I am watching his mess they are just sprouts. I think I am going to give the current setup a run again and closely monitor the results. This is only the 2nd set of 6 vegged under this setup.You like the pots :) http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=COGCS05S&eq=&Tp= I could of gone a little bigger but I like the extra space. I flower in the 10 10 11.5 ones, under an HID.

Latest posts

Back