does compost makes co2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalikisu

Reaction score
i am currently experimenting with compost. I have been keeping coffee grounds left over vegetable cuttings and leaves from my yard. I have been told compost is good for gardening, but will it produce co2? If so ,if not what do you think the benefits of compost will be to my garden? currently i have applied the compost mixture to two seedlings to see the effects. have any of you guys and gals tried this?

compost will give plants nutrients. N K P it will be time released( as it breaks down), but the real benefits are fungi, and other microrganisms that work with plants roots and aid in making nutrients available to the plants.

thanks i knew it was a good thing but not how. so composting is good for nutes.

Hi Kalikisu,

You seem to be concerned with a lack of CO2 in your grow area, any particular reason why?

ummm I think I can clear this one for you melissa or kalikisu..(J/K)

but this one can clear up for you.. the pertile does have co2 to give off.. it was made by glass, glass made from sands... that why most people here has told newbies to mix with peat moss, moist soils and pertile (preparing the mixed soils)
mojo plants is always happy with it as long you watch how you feed the plants with nutes when they are ready for some nutes.. its good to start with just water... every time you feed them the pertile does give off co2 at the same time.. roots deliver it to green part (I think) anyone can help me with this ?

since i grow indoors i think i need to provide more co2 to the enviroment to make the plants feel more natural. im probably just over thinking things. but its my first grow so i want it right you know.

compost does give off co2 ( from the respiration of bacteria and fungi cells) but not that much, unless you have a green house with the floor made of compost or something like that. heres a suggestion ive heard of some people taking a 2 liter bottle filling it with sugar water and adding yeast then running a hose from the bottle to the top of their plants. need to change it every few weeks but might help. just a thought(could brew beer or something to in the process=)

jcb9134 said:
compost does give off co2 ( from the respiration of bacteria and fungi cells) but not that much, unless you have a green house with the floor made of compost or something like that. heres a suggestion ive heard of some people taking a 2 liter bottle filling it with sugar water and adding yeast then running a hose from the bottle to the top of their plants. need to change it every few weeks but might help. just a thought(could brew beer or something to in the process=)

Sounds like a good idea dewd.

But why not take the hose from the bottom of the plant? Co2 Is heavier than oxygen isnt it?

Thats why those home protection co2 meters are plugged in a foot off the ground...:p

dont get what your asking and yes co2 is heavier thats why the hose from the bottle producing the co2 is above the plant so that if falls from the top to the bottom of the plant, roots don't need co2.

I think you did. You answered my question. thanks

Just properly ventilate your room and it will get all the CO2 it needs. Hmmm not much to add here as everything seems to be answered above.

Latest posts

Back