dwc question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Do i leave the air pump running 24/7? and how often should i change the water?

I leave my pump on 24/7

I know people are gonna say im doing it wrong but, i dont change my water throughout the whole grow.. i just add water every week, add nutes (as needed), and adjust the PH.. I have no probs at all. 8 week grows geting great yields and very healthy plants throughout the grow.. this is just the way i do it tho. Honsetly if my res didnt hold so much water i would prolly change the water and clean the res after 4 weeks and maby every 2... but i dont feal like dumping out all that water with unused nutes and then refilling and adding food back into the new water... for me it would be a waist of money that i spent on plant food..

you gotta leave air pumps running to aerate water so roots get oxygen

happy grown bro :D

the DWS (flush & drain) is easy maintenance and is only the Aeroponics that u need check flush due to the salt build up causing blockages

M.R

I run individual 5-gal DWC buckets. I change the water and nutes in them every 7-10 days. I am usually low on water by then (depending on plant size), so I am not really throwing out good nutrient solution.

The air pump should run 24/7.

Thanks every body. I think i got it all under control now

Good luck and personally I reuse water from changes on house plants and garden plants if season is right. Waste not want not. Easier to change weekly than correct problems unless you really watch and test... I am usually over worked and stoned, so changing is easier... I have expirimented though!

Cheers, keep on keepin on

YOU NEED TO CHECK THE NUITS YOU ARE USING... some nuits want you not to use an airstone at all. can cause the nuits to fall out of solution other nuits can get foamey in the res so watch your labels. pirana mix is an example of a foamey one AQUA FLAKES also says not to use the airstone. so depends.

growdammit said:
Good luck and personally I reuse water from changes on house plants and garden plants if season is right. Waste not want not. Easier to change weekly than correct problems unless you really watch and test... I am usually over worked and stoned, so changing is easier... I have expirimented though!

Cheers, keep on keepin on

Thanks Grow! I am using that idea for my grow running it off to my soon to be lavender garden :D They ought to love that

I have been using the fox farm trio for my soil grows and was wondering if i can use it for hydro. I cant afford a whole new set of nutes so hopefully they work for hydro too.

dont use FOX FARM BIG BLOOM in your HYDRO.

it will get it dirty and slimey. and it coats everthing
and hard as anything to clean.

Stop tring to be cheap.

RUN your air stones/pumps 24/7. it IS a MUST IN a DWC.

I know the whole arguement about how plants only feed at night and
yada yada yada. The ones that dont water during dark cycles are usually using E/B tables and other
methods other than DWC.

MrPuffAlot said:
dont use FOX FARM BIG BLOOM in your HYDRO.

it will get it dirty and slimey. and it coats everthing
and hard as anything to clean.

What about the Humboldt County products like Bushwhacker and Gravity? are those ok with hydro or aero to be more specific. :stuff-1125699181_i_

Elven i never used those. I love the advanced OR Aqua flakes stuff is great for a lil less money. Bcuzz and GH are also great products. currently im using the gh one part organic with all advanced additives(have tons laying around). It is working out great. but those are all great companies your local store should have one of those companies.

Humbolt Co. products like bushmaster and gravity are foliar sprays so they would not interrupt your current nute routine. Humbolt is heavy duty stuff, cut the dose and re-apply another weak application. And if using bushmaster be sure that you really want your plant to stop growing... because its like a light switch from what I have seen on others stuff. Its expensive but lasts a long time since you only use one maybe two applications per plant.

Use an air stone in DWC 24 hrs a day, this is the only way you're roots are getting oxygen, since there is no flood or drain or drip sytem. Top off your pot daily with ph water. change your butrient every week or ten days at the most. Don't buy into sloppy, lazy gardening where you'd keep nutrient for longere than ten days. After a few days, the ppm has already changed, and after a week, the plant is just growing in it's own waste, if you don't change the nute.
I do fresh nute once a week
top off with ph water once a day
Flush once a month.

420FREEDOM said:
Use an air stone in DWC 24 hrs a day, this is the only way you're roots are getting oxygen, since there is no flood or drain or drip sytem. Top off your pot daily with ph water. change your butrient every week or ten days at the most. Don't buy into sloppy, lazy gardening where you'd keep nutrient for longere than ten days. After a few days, the ppm has already changed, and after a week, the plant is just growing in it's own waste, if you don't change the nute.
I do fresh nute once a week
top off with ph water once a day
Flush once a month.

just to add remember if using co2 to keep air pumps above the co2 distribution tubes. o2 rises co2 falls

Yes, bushmaster is a foliar application, I would check with some members here about further info that have more insight than I do, check some of the archive info here, there is probably something more detailed on application, risk etc...

Best of luck, Cheers to ya'

growdammit said:
Humbolt Co. products like bushmaster and gravity are foliar sprays so they would not interrupt your current nute routine. Humbolt is heavy duty stuff, cut the dose and re-apply another weak application. And if using bushmaster be sure that you really want your plant to stop growing... because its like a light switch from what I have seen on others stuff. Its expensive but lasts a long time since you only use one maybe two applications per plant.

Bushmaster only halts vertical growth correct? I can use it to keep a mother manageable size while still getting clone spots? Have you used Humboldt Co. nutes in hydro? I figure that is a name to trust. :D

Humbolt is awesome from what some good buds have done with it. I have the luxury of space for the few plants I grow for myself on regular basis. You can use them on hydro or soil. From what I have seen on their plants it stops upward growth with a quickness. One friend was upset because it did too good a job! He thought it would slowly stop.

I have considered using it, but with hydro since its typically an indoor grow you can curb verticle growth by stimulating light cycles anyway. Outdoor growers wanting more of a bush than an 8 foot wonder would probably benefit more from bushmaster IMHO.

Latest posts

Back