Early Preflowers/Sexing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chef-
Didn't see any herm in your grow journal, but then I didn't read every post. "Lady Blue" sure is a pretty lady though- congrats on that!:cool2:

I've only had 1 plant herm on me and I didn't know it till after I harvested- and only cause I found a couple seeds in 1 bud :eek: . Must have been a sac buried deep in the bud cause I removed the 1 male I had way before any nanners could have popped.

I've seen other pics of herms from other growers here- but usually it's pretty far into flowering- and pretty obvious.

I think Krikri here still has a chance at having a plain old baby girl- least I'm hoping for him!

Happy Growing! :cool:

TY bbfan, Not labeled a hermie its the bagseed i finished, i only feel this way because i watched it everyday sometimes every hour as i am awaiting another back surgery next month. I'm pulling fer a female 2. Lady blue says hi and ty. I have nothing to do but grow right now and keep constant vigil over my ladies, so when i saw the pics i was shure it was a herm but i hoping it's one of those things i'm wrong about. C'mon Krikri!

bluealein56 said:
If there were balls on there and ya pulled them off then its still a male.
Yeah, I know, taking away the organs doesn't make them females, it's the same in humans ;)

But I never said I pulled off anything, how come you guys all think I said that?

BBFan said:
How old were they when you put them on 12/12?
The plant was 36 days old when I switched cycles. There were no alternating nodes, and it looked like it could use some more vegging (still a little less than a feet tall), I just did it to see what the preflowers will evolve to in order to chop off the plant if it's a male and concentrate on the seedlings instead. I think I read somewhere that you can even do that with a bag, outdoor growers do this to see what they're dealing with. If it turns out to be a hermie or a female, I could either just switch to veg again or keep flowering if I want, right?

the chef said:
The smoke was really good though, hope this helps.
That's all I need, some really good smoke, and not really too much for my first time, thanks chef :)

krikri said:
The plant was 36 days old when I switched cycles. There were no alternating nodes, and it looked like it could use some more vegging (still a little less than a feet tall), I just did it to see what the preflowers will evolve to in order to chop off the plant if it's a male and concentrate on the seedlings instead. I think I read somewhere that you can even do that with a bag, outdoor growers do this to see what they're dealing with. If it turns out to be a hermie or a female, I could either just switch to veg again or keep flowering if I want, right?

Give it a few more days krikri.

Every indoor grow I've done has showed preflowers at about 6 weeks, so maybe you jumped the gun a little bit (but I switch to 18/6 at 4 weeks). You don't need to put a bag on it.

Based on what you said here though, I think it's going to be a bigger problem for you if it is a female!

Happy Growing. :cool:

Geez, I love this stuff! Growing is intoxicating all by itself... then you get to smoke it too!

BBFan said:
Based on what you said here though, I think it's going to be a bigger problem for you if it is a female!
What do you mean? If it's a female, the time switches will herm it? I really don't mind, if that's what you mean, as long as it gives me something to smoke without a headache :p

BBFan said:
Geez, I love this stuff! Growing is intoxicating all by itself... then you get to smoke it too!
I couldn't agree more :aok: Somebody wiser than me once said "it's all about the trip, not the destination". Every day that goes by I become more and more addicted to this hobby - even if I get nothing out of this plant, the fun, the support, the knowledge and the experience I got from growing would still make it worthwhile :cool:

But for now, I just wait for some better signs of sex, hoping all that mojo will find its way to my little growspace...:)

She will find the love you are willing to give one day Krikri :)

:peace:

O.K. I woke up today with a terrible headache, a sore throat and a runny nose, but these were not the worst news....went off to shoot some early morning pics, but unfortunately things are not looking good this time. The pictures I got show male organs, from other pics I've seen and from what I've read I don't think these can be mistaken....:(

These are pics taken from the 4th & 5th node, the higher nodes haven't shown preflowers yet. I think I read somewhere that male organs show up before pistils, and I'm wondering about the formation in one of the pictures - is this a cluster of balls or a possible calyx?

The real question, I guess, is what now? Is there any chance of it being a hermie, thus pistils will grow a bit later on, or is this a 100% male?
Should I give it a few more days to find out, or just chop the whole thing off and concentrate on my next grow?

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2028(2).jpg

i feel your pain bro. It too has been sexing weeek for me and i lost two good ones.
did you have any ohters planted for back up?

Doesn't look good krikri. I'd give it another day or two to be sure. But it's early for me here, so I can't quite focus yet :p

krikri said:
Is there any chance of it being a hermie, thus pistils will grow a bit later on, or is this a 100% male?

I've never heard or seen a male turn hermi, only a female. But that may be because we usually don't grow out males.

Give it a little more time- can't hurt at this point.

Oh man, one of those times i was looking foward to bbfan telling me i was wrong. I gotta go with bbfan on this one, give it a little more time unless there are other plants around. That way you can identify what it is fully.G l and green be with ya!

bluealein56 said:
did you have any others planted for back up?
I've got three seedlings exactly one week old. I'm gonna take really good care of them, I won't do the mistakes I did with this one. It's gonna be a while until I reach the sexing stage again, but it's 3*fun this time ;)

BBFan said:
I've never heard or seen a male turn hermi, only a female. But that may be because we usually don't grow out males.
Did a bit of research on this, turns out there are people on other boards who claim it has happened to them. And this is exactly what they say, most people don't grow males so they haven't seen them at a later stage.

Not saying this will happen, but you never know, right?

BBFan said:
Give it a little more time- can't hurt at this point.
the chef said:
give it a little more time unless there are other plants around.
Yeah, you guys are right. That sexy smell won't let me chop it anyway :p

Gonna let it grow a bit more, remove all balls and use it to practice on flowering, trimming, and maybe even hash or butter making in the end ;)

Latest posts

Back