ebb flow and DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepro88

Reaction score
ebb flow and DWC

OK so i am totally new to the "hydro" type of growing haha well im net to it indors alltogether haha But i want to learn as much as i can and i am pretty handy when it comes to tools and building stuff

I have built myself an areo system but i want to learn more about other systems so i can see which one works the besr for me i have just about every thing i could need at hand or up the road to lows or the pet shop so i guess my question is can any one explan and/or show pictures of an ebb flow and DWC system :) if any one wants me to make a DIY on my Areo i sure will im about to build one more because im bored haha thanks again guys ths is is best site ive ever found about this stuff :D:D

Ok so ive done some more research and ive came to the findings that a DWC system would be like a 10gal bucket with an air stone in the bottom filled with water with a plant in a grow medium with the roots 100%of the time in the water to me i would think the plants would be killed by tomuch water or root rot but i guess thats what the air stone is for...

ebb is like a plant hovvering over a resivor with a water pump in the rev that would pump water up a tube to the top that "waters" the plant on a timer

and still no idea what flow would be..

O.k.,the flo adjacent to the ebb(the ebb is attached to the pump,also serves as a type of "flo, whrn pump is off).Now if you pump a bigger volume of water into a smaller container,what would happen?Over" FLO",GET IT.B asicly the "FLO" kinda acts like the little hole in the back of our sinks(only instead of discarding the water via sewer it is recycled,as well as airrating the water).
I hope that shed the light,if not I have both.Ask away!
One thing I suggest is that you have a ph and an ec meter,VERY,VERY IMPORTANT. PLANTS R EASILY BURNED THIS WAY(HYDRO)-4 SURE.

mikepro88 said:
Ok so ive done some more research and ive came to the findings that a DWC system would be like a 10gal bucket with an air stone in the bottom filled with water with a plant in a grow medium with the roots 100%of the time in the water to me i would think the plants would be killed by tomuch water or root rot but i guess thats what the air stone is for...

Actually, the res can be about any size and the roots are only partially submerged. It is essential to keep the water well aerated for good root health. You will be amazed when you see the size roots you are going to get with your hydro system :D.

I use DWC rather than aero, because (IMO), it is just simpler and more reliable. I ran some aero units, but the misters always seemed to get partially clogged and the water pumps raised the temp of the res more than I liked. So I just went with the simple air pump and stone in 5 gal buckets. It is what works for me.

Great job on your aero system, by the way.

This is pretty basic, but will give you an idea of each method:

Jason's Guide

If you're really serious about leaning Hydroponics and you want to know the whole story, then I would strongly suggest that you buy and read:

Hydroponic Food Production
by Dr. Howard Resh

Get the latest edition. #6, I believe.

You'll never be sorry you bought it.

check out my grows... but i am just an amateur...

I read on DWC and it sample and no pumps, just an air pump. But some use individual busckets for each plants, that can be a little too messy for me to change out the solution. If you use one container with several plants, that can be a little more managable.

With ebb and flow, I have a Bontincare 20g resverior and a 24"x24" tray that sits on top of it. I place 4 plants in the unit. There is a pump and air pump. I change the reservour biweekly. I open the lid remove solution and refill it with fresh. The water pump pumps water to the upper tray 3 times a day (flow) and it stays on for 15 mins (ebb) and drains back into the reservior.
Simple and clean.

yhst-44371338330177_2035_58112315

Latest posts

Back