electric bill cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Can sombody help me out and tell me the equation for finding out how much my light will use. Im running a 400hps, 12 hours a day, and want to know what it will cost me every 30 days. My electic supplier charges 9 cents per kilowatt hr. My girlfriend seems to think it costs like a hundred dollars a month. She wont believe me that it is about $20 to run the lamp and a small fan. Some one please help me out.

one kilowatt is 1000 watts. you'd be running 4800 kilowatt hours per day, which would be approxiamately 5 kilowatt hours per day, so about 50 cents a day with your fan included... that would be about 15 dollars per month. tell your girlfriend to quit trippin lol. no LEOs are gonna be thinking anything suspicious is going on.

Lets see 400 watts x 12 hours = 4800 watts per day x 30 days= 144000 watt per month. Divide 14400 by 1000 = 144 kilowatts per month x $.09 = $12.96 per month it is costing you to run your light and only your light.

(kW·h, W h): 1 kW·h = 1000 W·h. So I think it goes. 1000w an hour is a kwh. so if your only using 400w plus a fan..... 500w worst case. $.09 per khw is twice that. so it costs you $0.045 for an hour. Times 12 equals $.54 a day. times 30 equals $16.20 extra on the bill.

All three of you just came up with different numbers. Who is right?

About 15 dollars with no fans or extras depends on how efficient you ballast is. Info from sunsystems power cost estimator.

well if you want if for exactly 400 watts, exactly 30 days at exactly 12 hours each day, then here's the math:
400x12=4800
4800/1000=4.8
4.8x30=144
144x9=1296
carry the decimal and it is $12.96 per 30 days of 12/12 for 400 watts of power.

So yeah, PC was right... i was trying to factor in the fan too. but let me reiterate, it will not attract attention from the electric company.

Im using a Sunsystem 2 lamp, with a built in ballast, and a brand new bulb. It was a pretty expensive light not some piece of junk.

maineharvest said:
All three of you just came up with different numbers. Who is right?

The first one was a pretty accurate estimate, the second was a qoute with out the fan and mine was probably over shot a little because i estimated up to 500w an hour. So, were all right.

Im not worried about the electric company. My girlfriend is trying to blame me for a $400 light bill. I know the light doesnt cost a lot to run but she wont believe me.

12.96 is what you use not including the delivery charge and all that other mumbo jumbo.what ever i use in kw a month i just multiply it all out turns out to be maybe 200.00 then multiply that by 80% and i get my del and all other crap they add in. right around 320 a month

also there is a clac on the light page at top or find one on the net

explain to her that the equation for your electric company's charge per 12 hours is:
y={(0.09x)12}30
for electricity being used for 12 hours a day for 30 days in terms of kilowatt hours. Just plug in the number of watts (400 or in this case .4 in relation to 1 kilowatt) and you have your answer.

tell her to stop straightening her hair or something lol idk...

Our utility has an online calculator. If you have the patience to tell it how many light bulbs, fans and lights, etc you have, it will predict your electricity bill pretty closely :hubba:. Ooops, wait. Yes, I suppose I should admit I had the patience :) If your utility doesn't have one, pm me and you can use mine :hubba:. Pretty sure you can change the $/kw...

Tell your girlfriend that the high bill is most likely due to your electric company estimating your electricity usage for a month or two and then reading the meter and finding the actual usage was higher and back charging you. The math is pretty easy to figure out, I can remember my science teacher in grade 9 showing us how to do the math to figure out how much it cost to leave our kitchen lights on (after we went home and found out how many lights at what wattage) and then telling us the next time dad freaks for leaving the lights on to flip him a dime and tell him that should cover it and the next time it happens lol.

Things like your dryer, stove, oven, microwave, electric heaters, fridge etc are the major power culprits. 400 watts of light would use the equivilant amount of power most makeup vanities use (before CFL's). So tell her that if she wants to put her make up on in the dark you will shut off your light as well. If not to bad.

I run a 400 watt plus two flors right now with 3 fans. my bill was 138.00 this month my company charges more for datyime use so between 1-7 pm my lights are off if possible..My light is on 20/4 and the flor 24/7 it isnt very expensive at all. I dont use the dryer/dish washer or anything big during those hours if possible. My highest bill was 240 and the only difference is the air coniditioning and changing the hours we run the lights good luck! rememebr the dish washer doesnt need to dry the dishes it uses scalding water and they dry very quickly on their own. check ur hot water heater is it turned way up? things like that.

Remember a 400 watt hps really draws about 440 watts due to losses in the ballast, not that thats much of a difference.

Latest posts

Back