emergency ballast question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
ok i have 8 clones up and going, and i have my ballast on my floor but it is getting really hot on the carpet. i dont know what i can use to put it on so that even if it gets hot it wont be a fire hazard. like if i put it on wood or cardboard i think that might be a fire hazard. anyone got any ideas or dealt with this before?

umm... carpet and ballasts don't mix.. Elevate it. Put it on a milk crate, a book, hang it on the wall (find a stud) The handle should have a couple holes in it with some slots. GET IT OFF THE CARPET!
It doesn't even need major airflow.. Put an osculating fan near it.

i was iffy about putting it on the wall because it was so heavy. but thanks. ill get it off the carpet. you sure a book is good? like it wont catch on fire?

I highly recommend you to get carpet off.... mites dusts, vaccum no good when ya clone nor grow.... myself if my children ask me to help them to work with the setups, carpets get off first, thats my rule of thumbs
you will not get much of water evevap out of the carpet while using it.

jeffca said:
i was iffy about putting it on the wall because it was so heavy. but thanks. ill get it off the carpet. you sure a book is good? like it wont catch on fire?

Do not use a book--it is most likely far more flammable than carpet. I put mine on a milk crate. A flat stone or a solid piece of wood will also work. Do not use composite wood that is held together with glue.

wood is just as flammable as a book :) isn't a book made of wood?
the point of a book is just like blocks.. unless the ballast has meltdown... a hardback book is fine... I have used one a few times.. just bolt it to the wall..

i agree with the brick or the milk crate idea.you can get milk crates for free from your local grocery store.and you can buy a single brick for a few dollars at home depot/lowes

i got one on top of the tank for my toilet

got another im about to start using and i was gonna put it on top of a 5gal bucket flipd upside down but im not sure yet...

I put mine on top of my fire proof lock box and run a small fan on it and i can touch the mags. on it and their barely warm keep ballist cool and they will perform better and last longer JMO...take care...

I am using wood for my ballast's I have 2 1000 HPS heres a pic

HPIM1030.jpg

Megatron said:
wood is just as flammable as a book :) isn't a book made of wood?
the point of a book is just like blocks.. unless the ballast has meltdown... a hardback book is fine... I have used one a few times.. just bolt it to the wall..
a book is paper and cardboard, "wood" in an altered, more flammable form. But anything is an improvement over the carpet..

Hick said:
a book is paper and cardboard, "wood" in an altered, more flammable form. But anything is an improvement over the carpet..

It's hard to type sarcasum without actually typing the word...

what if im going to put my ballast on top of my box and then build a box around it out of wood but vent one side of the wood would this be a fire hazard and or just a bad idea? i have a wired small cpu fan i could throw in there if necessary what do u think?

Latest posts

Back