FB's Grow Attempt #2 - indoor CFL tub grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloydBanks

Reaction score
Hello again MP! For any of you who read my last journal (home sweet home) you know that I had the misfortune of cooking my plant... and a lot of problem with growth in general.
Well, on the day my first girl died, I was determinned to get this growing stuff right, so I put 5 seeds in to some wet paper towels, sealed them in to a tupperware container, and then put them under a sweater in a closet. After ~48 hours I had 2 seeds with taproots ready to go in to soil. (By the way, it was 4 bag seeds, and one of my snowberry seeds).
To this day, the snowberry seed still has no taproot, so I've kind of given up on that one, but anyway, back to my story.
I put the 2 seeds in soil, and in ~24 hours had them above ground, and under my lights.
*Note* something I did different this time was to switch one of my cool white CFL's out with a warm white *endNOTE*

My setup: five 26watt coolwhite CFL's, and one warm white CFL, all on a bathroom vanity light strip (3 sockets, 2 lights in each) screwed in to the top of my grow tub, which consists of 2 rubbermaids, one on top of the other. There's 2 passive intakes on the bottom back of the tub, and one out take on the top of the tub, which is connected to a carbon scrubber w/ computer fan by a 4' duct.
The lights are running 24/7.
And, again, I'm using MG potting soil (feeds up to 3months) and perlite. This time with more perlite.

So, today is the 3rd day since the 2 plants broke soil, and one is bigger than my first plant that died, and one is about the same size as it was after ~26 days of veg. (Pictures below)

And, to add to this... remember I said I had 5 seeds germing, well I havn't checked them the last 3 days because I've been busy, but when I was going to take pictures for you just now, I decided it was time to toss out the baddies.... well one had a HUGE taproot. So, I'll have a 3rd plant on the way... I think this was another bagseed, but I'm not sure because they had moved around by this point. So, I'm pretty skyed about that. But, without further ado, here's the pics I took from just now.

girl1.jpg

girl2-1.jpg

girl2-2.jpg

Just posting to update that the 3rd seed that sprouted that I put in to soil yesterday popped above ground sometime last night, and I stuck it under the lights this morning.
Also, today was the first watering for the other 2.

Hey there man !!!! thins look and sound good ! i hope this grow goes well for you . I'm on my first grow and having a little bit of trouble , but should all work out . i also use CFL's and fluro's . GOOD LUCK DUDE . keep it green !!!

PEACE:D

rollingstoned77 said:
Hey there man !!!! thins look and sound good ! i hope this grow goes well for you . I'm on my first grow and having a little bit of trouble , but should all work out . i also use CFL's and fluro's . GOOD LUCK DUDE . keep it green !!!

PEACE:D
Thanks man, hope everything works out well for you too :cool:

Here's pics from today (Veg day 6):
I'm starting to think that it's just the small pot that I have/had my plants in that was why it wasn't growing too much because the one I have in the small pot now isn't growing nearly as fast as the other one.

plant2-1.jpg

plant2-2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Looks good man! Been wanting to see how that snowberry comes out.

bombbudpuffa said:
Looks good man! Been wanting to see how that snowberry comes out.

ya me too... none of these are that tho lol
i killed the first snowberry i had giong, and the second seed i tried to germ didn't take... so i just got a few bagseed

Hey all, it's day 8 of Veg. The bigger one is getting bigger, working on the 3rd set of leaves. It was getting a little top heavy, so I propped it up with some toothpicks today to help her out. The little one is still little... I'm thinking maybe that was the snowberry seed I tried germing because it's the same color/size as the last snowberry I tried to grow.... and maybe it's just a longer veging plant, who knows.
Also, I'm thinking about taking the small one and putting it right in to 12/12 just for the heck of it because I've never done it before, and I won't really have room in my grow tub for 2 big ones anyway as far as I can tell.

I'm just waiting for my camera battery to charge, and then I'll take some pics for everyone. :)

sounds like you need a fan in that room man it will dramatically show diffrence in the strength of the stalk thierfore they dont flop over like a fish ne ways good luck with your grow i'll check in every now n then:bong1:

herbman said:
sounds like you need a fan in that room man it will dramatically show diffrence in the strength of the stalk thierfore they dont flop over like a fish ne ways good luck with your grow i'll check in every now n then:bong1:

I can't really fit a fan in to my grow tub.... It's just a rubbermaid upside down on another rubbermaid. I'm planning on LST'ing or scrogging at some point anyway (it's still just shrub like, not very stretched at all, just top heavy), so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.... i hope

Right on man. I've been thinking of doing the same exact setup after reading Bodom's journals. I want to grow some White Widow or Nevilles Haze.

I bet you could get more airflow if you disconnected the carbon scrubber. I don't think it is needed at this point. I would hook it up once the smell is becoming noticable. Also, if you are going to LST I think it would be in the girl's best interest to have the healthiest and strongest stalks possible.

How many tubs are you going to use? How many plants per tub?

looks good so far man!!! can wait to see the finshed grow!!! bet you acnt wait eather lol

very similar to my grow! post pictures of your set up please. im interested in seeing the successes that you're having with this setup.. i may be able to duplicate some of them! thanks in advance, and good luck bro

Kindbud said:
looks good so far man!!! can wait to see the finshed grow!!! bet you acnt wait eather lol
You're certainly right there, Kindbud :)

Here's the pics as promised (from today though, not yesterday, so 9 days in)
The first 2 are the same plant, just showing you that I had to support it a little... The 3rd is the runt, the fourth is so you can see the comparison in size, both again are day 9 in Veg.

IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0175.JPG
013.jpg

Gods Advocate said:
very similar to my grow! post pictures of your set up please. im interested in seeing the successes that you're having with this setup.. i may be able to duplicate some of them! thanks in advance, and good luck bro
That last pic is for you ;) Nothing special, I wasn't going for stealth... I just found 2 rubbermaids in the basement at my parents house that weren't being used, so I spray painted the inside black (to block out the light cuz they glow), and then flat white. I put weather stripping around the rims of them so that they don't fall off eachother, and it helps to seal in/out the light. There's 2 passive intakes on the bottom of the tub (you can't see them in that picture because they're in the back). They are just 4 inch holes with short dryer ducts coming out of them to act as light traps. You can see the carbon scrubber on the top, there... it's fastened close to the lights on the inside to try and cut down on some of the heat, too.

Inside, there is a bathroom vanity fixture screwed to the top. I've adjusted it so I have 6 CFL's running off of it. So picute it like >< >< >< (i don't know if that helps lol, but they're 2 and 2 and 2, u know what i mean) And, that's about it. Oh, and I've got my plants propped up on 2 stacks of DVD's with the cardboard box that my computer keyboard came in laying across the DVD's so the plants can sit on it.
Hope that all makes sense, and gives you a clear enough visual with the picture, Gods Advocate.

Hi again, today's day 13 of Veg for 2 of my girls (hoping). I took pics yesterday, but didn't have a chance to update, so here they are. The biggest plant is starting to get stinky (makes me a proud dad), the other one is still pretty small, although it has gotten SLIGHTLY bigger the last couple of days... but it's fan leaves are yellowing some. I havn't given either plant any nutes yet, so it's not nute burn, and I am using the same soil and water for both plants.
If anyone reads this: the only nutes that I have around the house ( i havn't gone and bought anything special yet ) is MG Houseplant Food (8%, 7%, 6&) . Would this be ok to feed the little one to see if it helps at all? I know I shouldn't give it full strength anyway tho.

But without further ado, here's the pics of the girls.

big1.jpg

big2.jpg

big3.jpg

runt.jpg

Oh, I also have an updated pic of my shotglass grow (vitamin bottle grow lol), so you can check the link in my sig for that.

FloydBanks said:
If anyone reads this: the only nutes that I have around the house ( i havn't gone and bought anything special yet ) is MG Houseplant Food (8%, 7%, 6&) . Would this be ok to feed the little one to see if it helps at all? I know I shouldn't give it full strength anyway tho.

I've seen many, many people try MG plant food and harm their plants. MJ just doesn't do well with it.

If you use it, good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

Stoney Bud said:
I've seen many, many people try MG plant food and harm their plants. MJ just doesn't do well with it.

If you use it, good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

It's funny.... the only one's I've had problems with are the one's I've started in those taracotta pots.

terracotta asorbs water drying out small containers quick beacause they wic water from roots and roots on the terracotta directly can have problems due to drying off. i would put them in as big of pots as you can and use plain plastic container with lots of drianage holes and plant in medium mixed with dolomite lime (1 oz per gallon medium) or plant all on the container itself,(edit: *i mean the rubbermaid tub*)putting as much medium as u can. if your planning to finish them off in there than the more medium the better, if someone says planting more than one plant in one container is bad dont listen, having one plant in a 1 liter pot compared to two plants in a one gallon container the more medium the better no matter the number of plants. plants potted in small container get rootbound fast and the smaller the container the worse it is as cannibis roots grow fast.

to sum all this up the more medium you can plant them in the better. the more you supercrop and keep a fan blowing hard on them (after a while put the fan directly on them) and keeping the light low will mean less strech, and more yeild you get in the end.

i will try to follow this grow but they are looking better n better. good luck my friend! hope they produce well for you!

trillions of atoms said:
terracotta asorbs water drying out small containers quick beacause they wic water from roots and roots on the terracotta directly can have problems due to drying off. i would put them in as big of pots as you can and use plain plastic container with lots of drianage holes and plant in medium mixed with dolomite lime (1 oz per gallon medium) or plant all on the container itself,(edit: *i mean the rubbermaid tub*)putting as much medium as u can. if your planning to finish them off in there than the more medium the better, if someone says planting more than one plant in one container is bad dont listen, having one plant in a 1 liter pot compared to two plants in a one gallon container the more medium the better no matter the number of plants. plants potted in small container get rootbound fast and the smaller the container the worse it is as cannibis roots grow fast.

to sum all this up the more medium you can plant them in the better. the more you supercrop and keep a fan blowing hard on them (after a while put the fan directly on them) and keeping the light low will mean less strech, and more yeild you get in the end.

i will try to follow this grow but they are looking better n better. good luck my friend! hope they produce well for you!

Oh, thanks man, I didn't know that about taracotta pots... but it sure does explain a lot haha. I don't have any other pots to move them in right now, so I think I'm going to clean out a 2 liter soda bottle cut some holes in the bottom and fill that up with soil, and then move my smaller one in to that and see how it does.

Well, yesterday I took a day trip to some outlet malls with my girlfriend.... BUT, before I left, I cut a 1 liter soda bottle in half, and transplanted the little one in the taracotta pot in to the soda bottle.
The improvement that it's made from yesterday to today looks pretty damn good to me. I think we're gonna be alright *phew*

hey there FLOYD . i did the 2 liter pepsi bottle thing , even talk about it my journal .be sure not to leave it clear !!!! roots hate light . worked good ( FOR AWHILE ) they will not be in them long before you will need to transplant again . if i had any suggestion to you , learn from my mistake and go spend a few dollars on bigger pots now . you will be happy you did and the end result will be much better . Mine got root bound and i had nothing but trouble . I do wish you luck on yer grow and things look good . just thought i'd add my $0.02 , which is worth about $0.02 , maybe even less . PEACE:D

Latest posts

Back