Ferts & Mother Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viracocha711

Reaction score
I have two mother plants, one Northern Lights & one The Church...I currently have them on half strength veg mix of GH 3 part, in an ebb and flow system...

My question is what is the best mix of nutes for mothers to ensure the best rooting clones...Or am I getting too detailed and should just feed my mother plants normal veg mix?

Thanks!

I think your thinking too far ahead.... as long as the mother is healthy..the cutting will be healthy... its more about what to feed ur cutting to get them to root better......

Just keep the moms happy with their solution..and the cuttings should root just fine...

Thanks...Do you grow from clones? If so, do you keep your mother plants in soil or hydro? If hydro or even soil, do you feed your mother plants plain water(no nutes) for a week prior to taking cuttings?

The reason I ask is after reading Jorge Cervantes's Grow Bible, he mentions using this practice to reduce the nitrogen in the mother plant which helps clones to root...Increases the probability of rooting.

Ever heard of this?

Well, i've cloned Mother plants in Soil. I never gave it any special feeding before getting a clone, it's not really needed. Secondly, when i take a clone it's most likely been more than a week since i've put out nutes anyways. so it woulda been just plain water. I'm not too sure on that though, just how it always works out.

I've never had a problem cloning. I've always just take a razor, cutting the healthy head i wanted at a 45 degree angle, then made 3 tiny notches above the 45 degree angle pointing inwards at 45 degree angles on each side of the stem. (that just helps it root). Then i dip it in water, then a rooting horomone and stick it into the hole i have in the ground and push the dirt around the edges. It grows perfect every time. If i were you i'd just do it and not really worry about it, do it right and nothing can happen.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

Thanks man...I guess your right, I should just do what I know is right and then sit back and spark one up and wait! LOL!

Thanks!

I would suggest keeping your mothers in soil.. only because its less work..and less chemicals you are giving them.. hydro is a hassle changing water and ferts out every week... and this time when i keep mothers i will be using the bonsai technique to keep them within reason... im not sure ur medium.. but id look at making a bubble cloner either way... much easier on the mind...

Yup, it is a lot less hastle to keep your mother plant in the soil. But yeah i think you pretty much said it Viracocha, just do what you know is right, ask questions when needed, smoke some here and there, and watch your ladies grow.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

I found the answer...

While the stock plant(mother) is in the active vegetative growth stage, feed it with a good quality, all-purpose or high Nitrogen fertilizer. One week before taking a cutting feed the stock plants with a low nitrogen, high Phosphorus flowering fertilizer.

The flowering fertilizer will lower the amount of stored nitrogen in the plant and increase the amount of stored carbohydrates necessary for the production of roots. Spraying the foliage with water daily will accelerate this process.

Latest posts

Back