First grow. 3rd post. Queries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raoulduke2.0

Norse God of Herbs
Reaction score
Ok. So I started with 5 bagseed babies and germinated them about 16 days ago. The nuteburn from MG potting mix killed 2 and then a third was smashed by a falling light. 2 left. I believe them to be a sativa and an indica. They are both very healthy. The one I believe to be sativa has been the frontrunner. It's growing at a rate comparable to all that I've read and seen and watched (a month straight of caffeine induced "herb-surfing"). The Indica is smaller with good growth but very spotty yellowing on the new growth and green veins.
I just flushed them for the first time as I have some leaf yellowing on the indy. I have read so many misleading things about what to expect from my plants that I have a few questions. But first the rundown:
I am growing in a closet with white walls, 2 fans, and a cracked door. They are in One quart pots and I don't want to have to transplant them but I will if they get too unruly. Lights: One 150w CFL, 4 100 watt CFL's, and one 12" T8 18 watt. The humidity is 40%, the temp is 84(most of the time) and I haven't started nutes yet ( I might not till flowering due to prenuted soil).

How big should I let them get in Veg? THey are diff strains altogether and I don't want to be satisfied with their size in veg, and then flower them and have them fly to the roof. I will be flowering with a 150w hps and supplemental CFL's.

Should I top them or just hope for the best? I've read that this can stress them hermy or male and that would be shitty. I want big plants but I don't want to cut off the rather rapid growth of new leaves and branches I have seen too early.

Would this CFL setup be conducive to Flowering or do I need more light
? I"m willing to deal with the heat issues created by the HPS when the time comes but I don't want to. I'd like to keep them in the closet with the cool compact CFL's.

Thanks.

Raoulduke,

it all depends on the size of your closet.
I think you should be ok. The hps will definetly help the yield.

What are your closet dimensions?

CZ

Pot size id going to directly effect the plant size. 1 quart pots are'nt big enough "IMHO" to support healthy, mature plants grown from seed to flowerinng maturity.
You gave light info',(I'm assuming those are "equivelant too" watts?) but failed to give anything on the clooset size/deminsions. You need a bare minimum of 3,000 lumens per sq. ft. for flowering, if you want to recieve top quality end product.. IMO

The dimensions of the shelf grow are 3 by 1 by 3.

Yes those are equivalents.

I'll probably upgrade the pots a size but no more. They are 1.5 quart not 1 (probably not signifigantly different)
I've got my Square footage to lumen ration well above 3000 considering their size right now. They will get bigger (so I hear) and then if I put them in some 2 gal pots they will be at 3000 almost exactly. By then I'll have replaced all of the small cfl's with bigger ones.

if you mean 3ft high i would either put them into flower now as they are going to double in size at least so you will have to top or lst them
beacuse once you have your hps in there you will need a good few inches betwen the plant and bulb
goodluck :48:

They are only a few inches tall and in the beginning of their 3rd week of vegetation. I will probably wait until the 4th week of veg to flower them. That is also the most stressful time to top them if I want a female so I might wait even longer. If they are 4 inches now can I expect them to triple in size in 2 weeks?

once you ut them into flower they will not sure how much they will grow in veg

raoulduke2.0 said:
The dimensions of the shelf grow are 3 by 1 by 3.

Yes those are equivalents.

I'll probably upgrade the pots a size but no more. They are 1.5 quart not 1 (probably not signifigantly different)
I've got my Square footage to lumen ration well above 3000 considering their size right now. They will get bigger (so I hear) and then if I put them in some 2 gal pots they will be at 3000 almost exactly. By then I'll have replaced all of the small cfl's with bigger ones.

I'm confused--pot size has nothing to do with lumens per sq ft???????

Your plants need to be in at least 1-2 gal pots, IMO.

If you have a HPS I would absolutely recommend using it to flower. While I have never seen any real comparative grows done, I would guess that you can 3-4 times the bud with HPS as opposed to cfls and other fluoros

I think that's what I'll do. I read this great thread about blower fans and I think that just might do the trick for cooling the hood.

Latest posts

Back