first grow, need advice on ventilation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSoca

Reaction score
i've got a medium size closet about 5.5' wide x 8' high that i want to use to grow maybe 4-5 plants (strain may be a hybrid or strictly indica, because i heard sativas get pretty big). i'm on a tight budget so i decided to go with this lighting kit using a 400w mh bulb for veg & a 400w hps for flowering. my main concern is with the ventilation though. i don't know which system is the best for my situation.

see my room gets pretty warm, even in the winter, and i have a window near my closet that i can use as a source of fresh air, but it's directly opposite my neighbor's back door, so he can potentially smell any strong odors i pump out of there (he can also see into my room if i leave the blinds open). what should i do? apart from getting a couple fans and perhaps a little ozone generator to kill the smells, what else should i spend money on? is a more complicated air-cooling system necessary? if so, what kind? remember i am on a tight budget. sorry for the noobish question, but this is the only issue that really confuses me.

You have a perfect size room to grow in! I use a 3.5 x 5.5 closet and an ebb and flow system and I get a pound of weed from each crop after the cure.

You can put a hole with an in-line vent fan into the ceiling of your closet and vent the air to the space above. What's up there? If it's like my place, I have a huge crawl space up there that leads to the roof vents on each side of the house.

Or you could use an air cleaner in the closet.

Also, you really don't need the MH light. Save your money and use it on your venting system. An HPS will grow your entire crop just fine. For that amount of space, you can use two of them to max out your light. I use two and have slightly over 5,000 lumens per/square foot of growing area.

It's better for you to save up and do it right then to hurry and do it half way.

Take your time and do it right man. You'll love yourself later.

Stoney Bud said:
You have a perfect size room to grow in! I use a 3.5 x 5.5 closet and an ebb and flow system and I get a pound of weed from each crop after the cure.

You can put a hole with an in-line vent fan into the ceiling of your closet and vent the air to the space above. What's up there? If it's like my place, I have a huge crawl space up there that leads to the roof vents on each side of the house.

Or you could use an air cleaner in the closet.

Also, you really don't need the MH light. Save your money and use it on your venting system. An HPS will grow your entire crop just fine. For that amount of space, you can use two of them to max out your light. I use two and have slightly over 5,000 lumens per/square foot of growing area.

It's better for you to save up and do it right then to hurry and do it half way.

Take your time and do it right man. You'll love yourself later.

thanks for the quick response :)

i like your suggestion, i think i will go with the 2hps bulbs then. i was thinking about an inline vent fan too, but i don't have anywhere to direct that potentially smelly air. maybe i'll just invest in a really good machine to clean the air.

your set-up sounds really neat if it works on timers & all (ebb & flow like you said). what kind of ballast & reflector do you have ? if you could go into more detail so a newb like me could just go out & buy the same thing i'd appreciate it, because we have very similar grow areas & i want a system as efficient as yours.

SweetSoca said:
thanks for the quick response :)

i like your suggestion, i think i will go with the 2hps bulbs then. i was thinking about an inline vent fan too, but i don't have anywhere to direct that potentially smelly air. maybe i'll just invest in a really good machine to clean the air.

your set-up sounds really neat if it works on timers & all (ebb & flow like you said). what kind of ballast & reflector do you have ? if you could go into more detail so a newb like me could just go out & buy the same thing i'd appreciate it, because we have very similar grow areas & i want a system as efficient as yours.

I use the ebb and flow Hydro system I developed over a 20+ year time span. All the bugs are worked out and it produces like you wouldn't believe.

Several other members here use this system.

How to build a 4-Unit Hydro Ebb and Flow System
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6674&highlight=4-unit

Questions about the 4-Unit Hydro Ebb and Flow System
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3908

I use Lumatek digital ballasts. Best output, best lifespan, best everything.
http://www.lumatek.co.uk/Products.htm

I use General Hydroponics "Flora Series" nutrients.

Heat will be an issue with your grow. You need to develop some method of getting rid of that heat and odor BEFORE you start.

A good quality air cleaner and a stand alone air conditioner will accomplish both if you can't vent anywhere.

Lights = $50 a month
A/C = $30 a month

Plan ahead completely. Don't do the "I'll start em now and figure that stuff out later" thing. Everyone who does that ends up being screwed later.

Good luck. If you have questions on the system, just post them in the above link.

Latest posts

Back