First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzywhitelufc

Reaction score
Hi Guys,said i would send some photos of my 3 californian special plants.they have been grown in potting compost and vermiculite mix under CFL.The largest plant is aprox 8 weeks old and the other 2 are 4 weeks.My big one I think is showing female pistols. Have switched to 12/12 last night. My grow area is very small and I would like to keep the plants small!! Any Questions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks to my Wench for taking some great shots

Cheers

Ozzy.

19th dec 09 001.jpg

19th dec 09 002.jpg

19th dec 09 003.jpg

19th dec 09 004.jpg

19th dec 09 005.jpg

19th dec 09 006.jpg

19th dec 09 007.jpg

19th dec 09 012.jpg

19th dec 09 013.jpg

Yeah those wld be female pistils...congrats
How big is your grow area and how much lighting are you using? You will want 5000 lumens per sqr foot for flowering...

Hi and Thanks,
Grow area only just under 4 square feet at the moment and aprox 3 feet high. Total lumens at the moment is aprox 11k. temps during the day are at 80 and at night down to 65. Grow box is in a walkin closet.

Cheers

Ozzy.

Looking very good! You seem to know a bit what you are doing. But i seriously advice you to double yor light when you flower, 11k lumens covering 4 sqf is not enough. Your buds will be airy and plants will stretch.

Keep up the good work!

edit: I think i would flower very soon if i were you. Perhaps Tie them down, let them adjust for maybe two days then flip to 12/12. Most strains grow a lot firts 2-3 weeks in flower. My space is about the same as yours, check out my second closet grow which also had 3 plants in it. They are grown in coco which makes the plants grow a bit faster than soil, but i think it'll give you an idea of how they will behave.

How many plants do you have in the room? 11k should be enough for at least 4 plants if it is close enough... But as KK said the more light the better. It will give you more dense buds and more resins.

Hi Only got 3 plants in my room and just worked out that i have aprox total of 600w , the room is aprox 3.5 square feet. Do you think that this would be ok for flowering?

Regards

Ozzy.

You cannot use watts to figure lighting as lumens per watt varies so much with different types of lighting. Plant count is immaterial and also should not be used to figure lighting--you can flower when the plants are tiny or grow monster trees or bushes. You need to figure lighting needs by figuring lumens per sq ft. Exactly how many and what are the size of the CFLs you are using. If you have 600W in there and only have 11K lumens, something is really wrong.

600w? I think you mean that your cfls put out the same amount of light as 600w of regular bulbs, which would be about 11000 as you said before.

20wcfl is about 1000 lumens. You should have about 5000 lumens/sqf, in your cab that would be 17500 lumens. 20x17,5=350.

You should have at least 350w of cfls in your cab. And put them close to the tops, not more than 10 cm away. They can basically touch low wattage cfls without burning.

I think this is vrey good and tried out guidelines when it comes to lights. Of course there are many ways to finetune your system, but this will give you a lot of nice bud to smoke. Then again you will harvest something with what you got now, it's just that it's very, very easy for you to double that amount with some more lights.

But you might wanna consider an exhaustfan if your temps are allready 80 lights on. A 12cm pc-fan is perfect, it's lower your temps and give co2 to your plants.

Yes Your are bang on, will try to up the quantity of bulbs soon. Lights are nearly touching all the top leaves and I have a fan on order.Could be down to 1 plant if other 2 plants turn out having male tackle!!!!

Thanks For The Advice.

Cheers

Ozzy.

Good to hear! You will have an excellent grow. Sad thing is that you are nowanadict to growing. It will take over your life from now on. But hey, addictions makes life woth living, right?;)

Oh, an advantage with many smaller cfls is that you can have different spectrums. In bloom you should have 2/3 2700k (red) with 1/3 6000k (blue). The opposite is true when you veg. Lights from many spots will also create an even lightdistribution across your cab. I've actually heard people say that cfls are better than hids in small spaces due to these facts. I sort of doubt it though... love my hps!

Not bashing cfl's but just like THG says all the time...if you break it down they cost more, put out more heat and less lumens to a comparable HPS...bottom line is they use more juice to put out less lumens...

Hi All.
My First grow!! Had 3 Wee ones now down to 1, had to use the sword on a male and a hermi. So that leaves "Charlie" she is about 7 weeks,and 3 weeks into flower.I have shackled her down as I am short on height. Pics speak for themselves. Have also started one of the free seeds from attitudes Christmas special offer, Its a Kandy Kushx Skunk and is 8 days old.

Please tell me how you think things are going, but be Gentle!!

Cheers

Ozzy.

2 weeks.jpg

2 Weeks 1.jpg

3 Weeks.jpg

3 Weeks 1.jpg

Kandy Kush x Skunk.jpg

hey ozzy looks good very interested in the kandy kush so il be watching if you dont mind

Seedling looks real healthy...your other plants look like they might hve gotten hit a lil too hard with nutrients at one point...but overall not to bad...

Hi Guys and Fruity, Thanks for the input,will do an update for you on Sunday,got my lad coming over tomorrow, so out with the incense !!
kandy Kush baby is looking really good put loads of growth on this week will post new pics of her/him sunday. Her indoors is the camera buff so will have to be a good chap till then.

Cheers have agood un

Ozzy

Hi , Updated pics out of room with no lights and flash on. Californian Special into nearly 4 weeks into flower.Had to trim one large fan leaf coz it got burned.Got some Bio Buzz Bloom due to arrive any day so hope the buds take off a bit.
What do you Guys think???
Also couple of pics of Kandy Kush 24 days old. will be keeping a close eye on
this for any male bits!!

Cheers

Ozzy.

17th jan 2010 001.jpg

17th jan 2010 002.jpg

17th jan 2010 003.jpg

16th jan 2010 001.jpg

16th jan 2010 002.jpg

They usually start to swell week 5-6, so i think you are going to see big changes in the near future.

KK X Skunk. Showed Male Sack. Chopped and ejected!! Oh deep joy !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back