Fixing the light!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uk1

Reaction score
Hey , was just wondering with hps lights how far away they need to be from the plant , my friend who is my joint partner in crime bought the light with a reflector , generator , timer , and just diff types of soil + nutes.

my growroom isnt too big with that big reflector in it as well as a massive plant so in inches pref. i wanted to know because the heat that comes off these lights ****....

also any other info to help is welcome :cool:

Depends on how many watts it is, somewhere here many people have posted charts.
But you want it as close as you can without burning the plants, I use the back of my hand if it feels a bit warm then I raise it, look at the plants leaves that are closest to the light if they start to curl or look bleached or burnt its too close.

Reactions: Uk1
if i got this right 6-12 inches away is best for 400watts ...

Uk1 said:
if i got this right 6-12 inches away is best for 400watts ...

For 400HPS i see 6-21 inches is best.

that color changed after 12inches from how i read it o.o

my bad i dunno might got the 1 and 2 mixed up lol

i got other troubles now , ive set it up but its getting too hot like burning hot in & on top of the grow room

Okay ignore the gay drawing lol , just a lil pic to show what my grow room like.

Anyone have some ideas on what i need to do to prevent the heat on top , other than a fan which i will add if all goes well
:doh: :doh: :doh:

GR-LAYOUT.jpg

come on ppl , its a fire hazard at the moment i think , although i sorted the fan out & its calling the growroom down but thats with the door open & a great big massive fan pointing in there..... its so dangerous that i even bought a smoke alarm for there lol

Well i read from post 1 till now. Sounds like you don't have enough venilation if it's that hot.

first thing and most important is air flow. you can probly get away with 2 small fans, one intake and one exhaust...remember, heat always rises, so put your intake at the bottom blowin upwards towards your plants and your exhaust either on the top or close to it in your box. hope that helps a little...putting an "ice bottle" in front of your intake fan will do a WORLD of difference also...good luck to ya.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Well i read from post 1 till now. Sounds like you don't have enough venilation if it's that hot.

"DITTO, DITTO, DITTO" just what everyone is telling you.. "cool fresh air in".. "stale hot air out"...

thx all , dont mean to sound rude i just needed info badly , i do have another question though , when i go away for a few days at xmas im not having lights on at all so daylight is my only option but since i need to do the 12/12 the other way around do i keep lights on for full 24hours or have them off 24hours?

i have lights on at night at moment & off during the day...

first, unless you have your heat issues taken care of its not safe. second, bad bad bad very bad to switch your flowering cycle...personally i've never had anything come before my ladies, my schedule works around my grow...so it'll be a personal choice for ya. i'm not sure what'll come of total darkness for a few days.

the heat is almost sorted , its no burning the top which was my main concern , switching light times is just because im going away for xmas for 3days or so & ive got the lights at the moment on at night off during the day so i wanted to know if it was best to switch over during the time the lights are on or off & also its not gonna be in darkness im just gonna have them near the window so it gets light during the day thats why i want to change the schedule for 12/12 :)

If your heat is fixed leave your lights on 24/0 till you get back, its better than what your doing now.

Latest posts

Back