fluffing up the rootball

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codybear

Reaction score
sorry to keep hammering you fellas. Here's another concern of mine. In the past, my overzealousness to get an early start has resulted in my plants being in their containers maybe too long. (I like to use the milk cartons like u get in school, after i take the plant out, i just bury them next to it.) could my plants be rootbound. At any rate, rootbound or not, should i fluff the rootball up a little. I like the skinny milkcartons the best. they fit in a beer six pack holder when traveling, which is also buryable at the site. Plus 5 or 6 to a field, about 30 yards apart and in maybe 2 rows is my quota.
I've noticed that when harvesting, some of the plants had a much smaller, shallower rootball than i would have thought a tap root plant should have, and the plants were mediocre in size and growth also. What do you fellas like to start yours in and how tall before transplanting. do you transplant multiple times before setting them out. I usually have an old igloo cooler with the milk cartons filling up the bottom in the back yard. the white inside reflects light well and in an instant, i can flip the lid shut for privacy until i am ready to set them out.

the reason i ask is several trees and shrub i have purchased at lowes recomended fluffing the roots or untangling them with a sterile razor blade.

Hey cody are you taking off the carton before you burry then. If not you should be. Small roots could be from several things. Poor ground where growing. Your not making the holes big enough for the roots to spread out in the soil. Poor soil and no good ferts too help it grow. And yes you can very gently loosen the outside roots being carefull not to go too deep into the soil block in your case. If you plant in poor soil and you only dig the hole just big enough to the roots to fit then it will remain small. Also leaving plants in too small a container for too long will stunt the plant and it can never fully recover too grow any size. I have grown enough too know when its about time too transplant too a biger pot or move too the ground. Slim

no, i take the milk carton off. I was kind of a minimalist for a while though and didnt dig a very big hole. If you fellas are taking soil to the plant site, how much you taking?

When I done outdoors a couple years back, heres what I would do: I would plant my seedlings in dixie cups in pro mix potting soil. They would stay in dixie cups for about 2 weeks and then I would transplant them into the ground. For my hole in the ground, I would dig a hole about 2ft weed and 3 feet deep. I would then take clear plastic and line the hole, cut a few holes in the plastic to allow excess water drain through and not sit in the bottom of the plastic. Then fill with good potting soil. I have always used pro mix. It's fantastic stuff. I have never tried anything else. Then plant your plant in there. I also like to camoflague the soil I put in there. I usually take some of the dirt I took from the hole and put some on top of the potting soil..maybe a few sticks and leaves to make it look normal and your set to go. This will give you great results. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

sound like a great idea. I will definately try. Pro mix at walmart?

Latest posts

Back