Footprint and spacing problem... need many opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmongrass

Basil Farmer.
Reaction score
So. I have 5 beastly sativa bagseed mixes that have been vegged for 10 weeks and flowered for 3. 4 of them have been fimmed and LST'ed several times. one is growing solo(i wanted a control to compare yields and make a writeup).

Each of these plants has 8-12 main cola's. the plants range from the tightest and bushiest at 2'x2' to the most widely lst'ed at 3.5'x2.75', and the control, at 3.5'x3'.

I have 1x1000w HPS to flower under. which mens i have about a 5 foot diameter circle in which i need to try to cram these plants. the canopy is actually very even given the different techniques used on different plants. using a cheapo ph water light meter it says i get 2000 lummens on the outer edge of the canopy which is good. but its very indirect light.

Also that is only with them spaced how they are now, which involves about the outer 8" of every plant's bush being intermingled and pushed together. this makes the lower and outermost bud branches get inferior light. they also get beat up bad and are looking stretchy/viney as of late. the buds on these areas are also about 1/3rd the size of the main canopy branches, even tho they are only about 6" lower than the main colas.

Help me oh legends.

not a lot of options with just 1 light. If you could hang a 4' t-12 double fixture for side lighting, and then rotate each plant on it's own axis and also rotate the plants relative to each ones position in the room itself,this would prolly give you decent results.

the thinner your canopy the better (space between the top of the canopy and where the foliage starts)
the tighter your canopy the better, (grow tips as close as can be without sacrificing lighting.

Now assuming the other variables are in place you would need a sog with clones, about a 5 plant scrog or something of that nature, but im sure your plants will be beastly.

i actually use those 4x2 t12's for my babies but didn't figure they would light the side enough.

Is it better to have them all squished up to blast the tops with light, or so spread them otu to allow the sides of the plants to breath and get some light?

I generally have 6-8 plants in a 3 x 6.5 ft space. They almost always have foliage touching. Most grows do. IMO, in a good grow, it is hard to tell where one plant starts and another one ends.

I've got 7 plants in 4.5'x8' with 2-600w. They're set on 2"x12"x12" blocks with casters to facilitate moving them around. I rotate as well as reposition everyday to spread the joy evenly. At 25 days into flower I can already see that moving them will be a problem at some point, especially if I have to tie up the bigger buds. I can't move my lites so I move my plants.

Latest posts

Back