For those who thought it was impossible....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchick832

Reaction score
(before I begin... might I just say that I am sorry I don't have pics to share... sure wish I did!)

I was having some problems with growth on my outdoor plants. They all of a sudden seemed to come to a stop after I sexed them. Well, I came to the conclusion that two were male and only one was a female. Now, I know there's all kinds of fun stuff that I can do with a male plant, but I was still terribly disappointed in only having one female. So, I made the decision to turn the plant hermie... and was told it was probably inprobable... I even heard impossible!

But, me being me, I had to prove someone wrong. So I began to think: What causes hermie plants to grow? Well, there are a couple of reasons that I could think of:

1. Genetics
2. Light Leaks in the Grow Room

Well, since my plants are outdoor plants and there are no light leaks from my atrium, I knew I wouldn't be able to do this outside. So I obviously had to figure a way to do it inside. Well, I set up a grow room and put the plants on 12/12 light... then I made sure I left the door cracked a bit to let in some light during the dark period. After a while all that was doing was causing the plant to revert to veg. I guess there wasn't a big enough light leak.

Well, I was out of ideas after that, since I obviously can't effect an already grown plant's genetics. I resigned myself to the fact that I could not turn this plant hermie.

Then the cold night temps started. I was worried for my plants (and paranoid about having them outside with all the copters that fly around here) so I decided to go ahead and bring all of the plants inside. My girl and my boy went into a grow room, but since the other male (the one that I had tried to turn hermie) was not doing so well, I figured I'd leave it in the living room and go ahead and try to make some hash out of it. I put it on the floor under a window where it could get some light. I kept watering it of course, but not doing much else. I hadn't touched it hardly except to water it (and I admit, that I wasn't even really looking at it when I did that... I feel like a bad momma now! :eek: ) for a few weeks. But I went and took a look at it this morning because I wanted a cutting from it before I harvested it and.... and.... IT'S A HERMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how it happened. I would like to continue my research in this capacity, just because I think it'd be a good thing for people to know how to do. I've just been treating it like an ordinary house plant sitting on a window sill... but I have decided to try this with my other male and control it a little bit better.

I think it has to do with the lights in the house (we do use compact flors) and the exposure to the household elements (tobacco smoke, cooking odors, pets... etc). I have some male clones started. I'll let you know what happens!

~Metalchick

:spit:

Fascinating! Can you describe the new female parts?

Well... I'm never quite sure how to describe a plant... but I would say that it looks like female pre-flowers with male pollen sacs... mostly like a textbook case of a hermie.

I think with the clones I'll try a controlled experiment in environment. I have to wait 'til they get rooted though.

~Metalchick

You lost me.... #1 are you saying the male turned hermie?
If so I have news for you..... Males often times have pistils (ie female flowers) So it is still a male.

#2 Why would you do what you have done? Putting a male in with a female? If seeding a Fem was your intent there are better ways where you still end up with majority sensimillia.

Well, I told you that I was a little disappointed in having just one female to harvest. So I decided to try and turn it hermie. It is not my intent to breed. I would rather clone my female and just do a SOG (my next grow) but in the meantime I'd like to have something to smoke (after I have the baby). The male and the female that are still in my grow room are seperated.

I would like to try it again because like I said, I think people should know how to do it. A lot of people are just growing because it is a cheaper and more fun way to get your bud. For those people a male means trashing that plant and trying again. I don't see any reason for that if there is a way to still be able to get buds off of your males. Thus, the reason for turning my male hermie.

Most of the people I encounter that grow don't grow for any reason other than personal smoke. After you put so much time into your grow (like I did) it's ashame to trash a male plant that you might still be able to smoke (not hash!)... it makes sense to me. I don't mind having to pick seeds out of my bud as long as it's still good bud. That's the bottom line for me. As much good bud as I can grow.

And it's definately a hermie... not a male. I've checked it against every picture of a hermie that I can find. It looks just like a textbook example.

~Metalchick

You'll have a few seeds alright;)

IMHO thats the bigest mistake one can do:)

the breeding line is now no good because of hermie traits

HGB I agree.
I'm stuck with a slew of seeds that give me only herms!

Better luck next time metalchick with the genetics.

Yeah, but again... I don't care about breeding. I'd rather just clone my female for SOG and then see what happens with my experiments. I am not one of those that hates picking seeds out of my bud... so it doesn't bother me. The plant was grown from bagseed anyway... all three actually. I was wondering why none of them were hermies?!

~Metalchick

Your inexperience is placing a spotlight on you metal chick. Removing a few seeds?...... How about removing a few thousand seeds, and not having much smokable bud at all? Sound good? Good , because that is what you will soon have. I hope we are wrong, but I know we are right...Savvy? You should start over girl. Peace.

metalchick832 said:
Yeah, but again... I don't care about breeding. I'd rather just clone my female for SOG and then see what happens with my experiments. I am not one of those that hates picking seeds out of my bud... so it doesn't bother me. The plant was grown from bagseed anyway... all three actually. I was wondering why none of them were hermies?!

~Metalchick
but .."at least one" was a hermie. It simply took some urgeing to get it to develop.

metalchick832 said:

I don't see any reason for that if there is a way to still be able to get buds off of your males. Thus, the reason for turning my male hermie.

And it's definately a hermie... not a male. I've checked it against every picture of a hermie that I can find. It looks just like a textbook example.

~Metalchick

Hey MetalChick,
There are two types of hermies.
1. Female Dominant
2. Male dominant
Those are genetically determined if the hermie trait is already in the breed. (see attached diagram)

Now as far as "forcing" hermie. I've only seen females turn hermie from stress. Not Males turning hermie from stress.

I think hermies should be destroyed when found. All seeds should be destroyed. These are sub-standard genetics. They are flawed. To continue to get true breeds and stable crosses hermies have no place in a grow. Even if you have no intent of breeding or crossing. Unless its your only plant for that harvest. Then finish it out, destroy all seeds and not grow that run of seeds again. Just my two bits.

On a side note:
I noticed a decrease in potency in seeded bud than non seeded. The plants energy goes to seed production not THC production.

41tblhmp.gif

Not to split hair with Mutt, but when I have intentionally bred plants, I could not fell any noticeable difference in either the plants that were seeded, or buds on that plant (seeded, or unseeded) versus complete sensemillia.

I am curious though that maybe since when you do it intentionally we are careful to only pollenate lightly (100-300 seeds) or so. Maybe since the plant doesn't have to work real hard to produce a smaller amount of seeds it doesn't reduce potency as much.

An interesting hypothesis, to bad we do not have the means to accurately test this theory.

Well, perhaps it was hermie genetics and just took a while to come up. That would be the point of the experiment. Honestly, this is my first successful grow, and I was just hoping to get some good bud either way. I will probably NOT plant the seeds that come from this plant... rather, I was thinking of breeding my one remaining male to my female when that time comes. I'm going to do it in a controlled manner though. I wouldn't just set the mood and leave them to it.

I have never found "a few thousand seeds" in a pound or two of swag that you buy off the street (assumably those are hermies?). I find it kind of mind boggling that you can end up with that many seeds just because the hermie was born in my house and not bought from someone off the street?!

~Metalchick

MC, hermies come in different..."degrees".. That is, some will express and produce multiple staminate flowers, while another, to a lesser degree, will produce only a few.
Some will produce more viable pollen than others, meaning more fertilized/pollinated pistils. (more seeds)
My very first indoor grow was a disasterous seeded mess. In my "uneducated" ignorance, I used a tomato bud set spray that promised "bigger flowers". It was composed with gibberillic (sp) acid. Which is a compound known to induce/promote staminate (male) flowers in MJ.
It was virtually impossible to pick all of the seeds out. I had millions. No exageration, from the size of the head of a straight pin on down to nearlly microscopic.
GOOD LUCK...

whatever happened to this experiment?? metal chick you still on the forum?

schoolboy420 said:
whatever happened to this experiment?? metal chick you still on the forum?

This thread was about 1-/12 years old. However, I want to comment.

Schoolboy, IMO, this was not a good experiment and I am not sure of what her point actually was. Hermies procreate hermies--an undesireable trait in marijuana genetics. All plants, clones, and seeds with hermie genetics should be discarded.

Metals last activity >> Last Activity: 11-15-2007

The idea of forcing a male to hermie is interesting, imagine a small grower with 3 or 4 plants, all males, no other seeds, maybe no time to start a new grow.

If the males can be forced hermie, then a smokeable end product is possible, or the plants can be used for ISO etc.

Interesting theory.

:peace:

Latest posts

Back