Magic beans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogster

Tard Strength
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am just curious about where and what you all are sourcing for genetics.
Do you buy seeds or cuts if so what kind?
Any problems buying cuts regards insects or disease?
Fem,autos or regular if seeds and why perhaps?
The scene has changed in so many ways lately I wonder what I am missing.

I make my own seeds mainly because I got what I considered burned a couple times in the beginning.
Bought a dozen or so packs from a particularly well known for thousands and got hermies and disappointed
😆
Turns out its really easy to do and the unknown possible potential is...........addicting.

I am always very careful with any cuts I have gotten due to bringing an unknown infestation into the shop. There are ways you can dip clones to kill any nasty's and always recommend it.
I generally do seeds but have certainly had my share of mutants and hermies. I have had good luck with regular seeds so far, but this last batch kicked my ass , only 2 out of 8 are female.
I have a Tirah Valley plant from Afghanistan going turned into the biggest plant , no sign of sex until BALLS............................. M Fers.
The plant was so beautiful I waited right to the end when I saw clusters forming Balls again. Im so pissed . The plant was chopped and the stems were put in a vase to be used as a floral arrangement (darn thing is beautiful) far away from the others.
I may even harvest some pollen if the balls even mature in water.
Anyone ever get a male to pollen in a vase?

my source for seeds the last 20+ years have been my contacts in the cannabis community and I’ve made my own

the last seeds I bought were from SeriousSeeds , some AK47’s when they had the cherry phenos

I am always very careful with any cuts I have gotten due to bringing an unknown infestation into the shop. There are ways you can dip clones to kill any nasty's and always recommend it.
I generally do seeds but have certainly had my share of mutants and hermies. I have had good luck with regular seeds so far, but this last batch kicked my ass , only 2 out of 8 are female.
I have a Tirah Valley plant from Afghanistan going turned into the biggest plant , no sign of sex until BALLS............................. M Fers.
The plant was so beautiful I waited right to the end when I saw clusters forming Balls again. Im so pissed . The plant was chopped and the stems were put in a vase to be used as a floral arrangement (darn thing is beautiful) far away from the others.
I may even harvest some pollen if the balls even mature in water.
Anyone ever get a male to pollen in a vase?
I put weed tops in a vase all the time. They will stay green for months and actually grow tons of roots too. I usually change out the water once a week for new. But I bet you could harvest pollen this way. Just be careful your other plants are not around unless you want some seeds.

I put weed tops in a vase all the time. They will stay green for months and actually grow tons of roots too. I usually change out the water once a week for new. But I bet you could harvest pollen this way. Just be careful your other plants are not around unless you want some seeds.
Im sure they will Pop pollen
I was kinda joking Thks
My wife is doing the water, changes and refills
Sucks up water faster in a vase I think LOL

If he grows roots want a cut?

A super sexy stud is worth a dozen good females ime.
I have always contended the better half of what I nave been working is the males.
When I use a average male on a spectacular female I get average offspring it seems.
When I use a stud on a spectacular female I get spectacular results.
Seeing how much the male really brings made me stay away from femmed beans.
I see a lot of chatter about strainlys and cuts but I also see a lot of people burning entire gardens due to hpvd virus.

we were lucky this year and have 4 nice male East Coast Sour Diesel x Ogers Kush that I have been collecting pollen from

we are gonna do the dirty on several female top shelf plants to make lotsmof seeds

there is also one lone Triangle Kush male that is also giving us some,pollen

the more males that splooge on the females means more selection , not this bottle necking that is going on with todays hip modern pollen chuckers

IMG_5386.jpeg

we were lucky this year and have 4 nice male East Coast Sour Diesel x Ogers Kush that I have been collecting pollen from

we are gonna do the dirty on several female top shelf plants to make lotsmof seeds

the more males that splooge on the females means more selection , not this bottle necking that is going on with todays hip modern pollen chuckers

View attachment 337957
I am smoking some sour diesel right now. It probably taste more like the name sounds than any other weed description. Has a sour diesel taste and pretty good buzz too. B+ rating to me but I do like the unusual taste lasts the whole joint too.

I am smoking some sour diesel right now. It probably taste more like the name sounds than any other weed description. Has a sour diesel taste and pretty good buzz too. B+ rating to me but I do like the unusual taste lasts the whole joint too.
I tell you what, Sour D started out kind of boring, for Ole’ Brown Thumb and I, but the more we revisit our stash of it, the more we appreciate it. I have learned over the last few months, why Sour D keeps its legendary status.

So if you have a top cutting of some males you can place them in water and they grow roots like a clone ? You put rooting gel on it or powder?

View attachment 337957
Dude that's a pretty studly looking fella you got there.

So when

View attachment 337957
So when you pollinate a plant you use multiple kinds of pollen off diff plants? Would that make it have the genes of all pollen you used in each plant ? If you catch what I'm thinking 🤔 so say you used pollen from a ecsd and your ogers kush an say a triangle kush female will each seed have all three strains in it or some seeds half east coat sdx triangle kush and other half ogers kushx triangle kush????

So when

So when you pollinate a plant you use multiple kinds of pollen off diff plants? Would that make it have the genes of all pollen you used in each plant ? If you catch what I'm thinking 🤔 so say you used pollen from a ecsd and your ogers kush an say a triangle kush female will each seed have all three strains in it or some seeds half east coat sdx triangle kush and other half ogers kushx triangle kush????
No. Only one of the fathers will have genes in each seed. You just won’t know which one if you mix pollen.

That's why I only do one male at a time.
Only way to consistently repeat the inconsistent offspring with any "strain".

Thread drift incoming............I absolutely hate the tern strains.
Give the lack of consistency inherent within its blatantly misleading,like you have any idea *** the offspring are gonna be.......😆
I know when I plant cherry tomato seeds I get cherry tomatoes.
Beefsteak produce beefsteak.......never seen the same exact phenos twice either.
🤔

Give the lack of consistency inherent within its blatantly misleading,like you have any idea *** the offspring are gonna be.......😆
Beefsteak produce beefsteak.......never seen the same exact phenos twice either.
🤔

strandivars

🤔

we are looking for as much diversity as possible and there will be plenty of phenos to choose from in the F1’s

some good reading if anyone is interested

The incidence and selection of multiple mating in plants​

John R. Pannell and Anne-Marie Labouche
Author information Copyright and License information PMC Disclaimer

Go to:

ABSTRACT​

ABSTRACT​

Mating with more than one pollen donor, or polyandry, is common in land plants. In flowering plants, polyandry occurs when the pollen from different potential sires is distributed among the fruits of a single individual, or when pollen from more than one donor is deposited on the same stigma. Because polyandry typically leads to multiple paternity among or within fruits, it can be indirectly inferred on the basis of paternity analysis using molecular markers. A review of the literature indicates that polyandry is probably ubiquitous in plants except those that habitually self-fertilize, or that disperse their pollen in pollen packages, such as polyads or pollinia. Multiple mating may increase plants' female component by alleviating pollen limitation or by promoting competition among pollen grains from different potential sires. Accordingly, a number of traits have evolved that should promote polyandry at the flower level from the female's point of view, e.g. the prolongation of stigma receptivity or increases in stigma size. However, many floral traits, such as attractiveness, the physical manipulation of pollinators and pollen-dispensing mechanisms that lead to polyandrous pollination, have probably evolved in response to selection to promote male siring success in general, so that polyandry might often best be seen as a by-product of selection to enhance outcross siring success. In this sense, polyandry in plants is similar to geitonogamy (selfing caused by pollen transfer among flowers of the same plant), because both polyandry and geitonogamy probably result from selection to promote outcross siring success, although geitonogamy is almost always deleterious while polyandry in plants will seldom be so.
Keywords: multiple paternity, pollen competition, polyandry, pollen dispersal, pollination, plant–pollinator interaction
Go to:

1. INTRODUCTION​

Plants are sessile and employ animals, water or wind to disperse their pollen. Accordingly, they have rather less control over whom they mate with than do many animals. Pollen-dispersing individuals may sire progeny on many mothers, and mothers are likely to produce progeny sired by more than one father. The great majority of outcrossing plant populations are thus probably best described as polygamous. Nevertheless, inasmuch as the seed producers of a population receive pollen from more than one pollen donor, they can profitably be regarded as polyandrous: it is then interesting to ask, first, what advantages or disadvantages there could be for an individual to mate with more than one male; and second, to what extent plants could in fact ever choose to mate, or avoid mating, with more than one male, given an overall cost or benefit.
It is worth recalling from the start that mating in plants technically always occurs between haploid gametophytes, which produce sperm and egg cells by mitosis. In taxa in which the gametophytes are independent life stages, such as bryophytes and ferns, sperm from more than one gametophyte can end up competing to fertilize the eggs of a single common partner, i.e. polyandry is possible among gametophytes. In seed plants, by contrast, the female gametophyte, i.e. the ovule, is only ever fertilized by sperm delivered by a single male gametophyte, i.e. the pollen grain, so that polyandry is technically not possible at the gametophytic stage. Narrowly viewed, there is thus no possibility, for example, of sperm competition in seed plants. Nonetheless, it is useful to consider mating in these taxa in terms of interactions among sporophytes, and to view the dispersal of pollen grains from more than one sporophyte to the stigma(s) of another as ‘polyandry’. This usage allows comparison on a functional basis with other organisms that engage in multiple mating. Sperm competition in animals, for example, is then in many respects functionally analogous to pollen competition in seed plants [1], which takes place before sperm are liberated into the ovule.

A key question concerns the extent to which plants are able to control their mating system at all, even at the within-fruit level. Although it is probably true that plants exercise less control over their mating than do animals, they do in fact influence their mating in a number of ways. These include: determining when they flower; how attractive they are to pollinators; where in the flower (and inflorescence) their anthers and stigmas are positioned (and when); when their anthers open and pollen is dispersed (and how much pollen is liberated during each pollinator's visit); when their stigmas are receptive (and for how long), and even which pollen grains are allowed access to the ovary after they have been deposited on the stigma. All of these processes, taken together, constitute a plant's floral syndrome, which will have evolved in response to selection to optimize reproductive success through both male and female sexual functions. The question, then, is not whether plants control whom they mate with, but rather how well, by what means and to what end.
A great deal of attention over the past couple of decades has been devoted to understanding the occurrence of ‘mixed mating’, where selfing rates are intermediate due to the deposition onto stigmas of a mix of self and outcross pollen. Much of this work has been stimulated by models that predicted that intermediate selfing rates would be evolutionarily unstable (reviewed in [9]). Although mixed mating is a special case of polyandry, particularly in animal-pollinated plants [10], its intensive study has perhaps drawn attention away from polyandrous mating in plants more generally. Given its extensive treatment elsewhere [9], we will not be considering it in our review here.
Another important question concerns whether the adaptations we see in flowers are shaped directly by selection through the female function of plants to regulate the number of their potential mates, or are instead chiefly the outcome of selection on the male function to increase siring success. If females do regulate their mate number, we need to know why, i.e. what benefits might they receive by doing so. These questions apply to dioecious species (with separate sexes), but they are particularly pertinent to hermaphrodite plants because of the possibility of conflict that occurs between the male and female functions. Resolving this conflict, i.e. optimizing both the male and female components of reproductive success, has probably been a major theme in the evolution of floral strategies [11,12].
In this article, we review the occurrence of polyandry in plants and consider its potential functional significance. We begin by assessing the frequency of polyandry among plants and ask whether there are certain traits that are particularly associated with multiple mating. We then consider the extent to which plants might benefit from, or be compromised by, mating with more than one individual from the female's point of view. In the subsequent section, we contrast this possibility with the proposition that polyandry might be the result of simple random mating, modified by selection on plants to increase their male component of fitness through improved siring success. If the possible benefits of multiple mating to plants through their female function are just an incidental outcome of selection for increased siring success, this would suggest that the study of polyandry in plants could be seen as a relatively unprofitable detour in attempts to understand the evolution of fl
Go to:

2. HOW COMMON IS POLYANDRY IN PLANTS?​

more here……….https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3576585/

Latest posts

Back