Bak with a few questions ❓

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok everyone I have a question for people that are actually doing this . What is the best Way to not get the hay smell when drying your plants ????? Is that because of drying to quickly in too hot temps please anyone lmk what you have experienced and what you know works so you don't end up with hay smelling weed

What are your temps and what is the humidity of the room when you move to jars. Hay usually means to dry. Most times that will go away when in jars a few days. My pot never smells like hay.

So it was with most my outdoor grows and I would just let them dry n smoke but that was just not really trying and would throw seedss out and wait till october and go chek what i got was actually pretty cool . my first plant Inside had like that leaf smell I believe because it was not cured enough but i had no pot and it gets me high gone now this one has about two weeks left its an auto smells amazing and i want the end result to be just as good as it smells . I have a humidity thermometer coming but I can keep my room at 65 were I dry is that fine for a temp or to hi. I think my problem was no jars I just want to be happy with the out come . And planning ahead also my tricromes are starting to get cloudy should I start flushing ? And can I ask how do you recommend to flush just water plain water normally or water till run off ? How much run off sorry for all the questions lol ill put a pic up in a second I'm so happy the size of the buda and I have two weeks to still go

What are your temps and what is the humidity of the room when you move to jars. Hay usually means to dry. Most times that will go away when in jars a few days. My pot never smells like hay.
I feel stupid asking but I know you guys all have a lot of experience and no the ropes much better then me.

I found my weed tastes more like hay if I dry it too quickly. I hang dry my buds still attached to the stem until they feel dry on the outside the cut them off the stems and put them into a paper grocery bag to slow the drying down. I’d guess my temp and humidity are around 65 deg and 55% RH but I dry in my basement and just run a dehumidifier, no heat. I will gently stir the buds around in the grocery bag once or twice a day the fold the top over and let it sit. Once they feel dry on the outside in the bag, I go into mason jars to cure. I think bigsur uses ‘turkey bags’ which I assume are oven bags for cooking turkey and are probably pretty affordable. Once I am in the curing phase, I ‘burp’ the jars(or suitable container) for about 10 minutes a day for a week or so then ‘burp’ them long enough to get a whiff of the aroma for a few weeks.

Not saying this is the best way to do it, but the buds never come out smelling like hay : )

I used to finish them in there, but now I bring RH to 70% or so, then jar and burp them to finish.

1696421257344.png

I feel stupid asking but I know you guys all have a lot of experience and no the ropes much better then me.
I dry pretty much like Foggy
On stem hanging but not stem breaking dry
Then clip buds and into brown paper bags with humidity meters
Open and close the tops once a day while checking meter.
When buds feel right dry but squishy and humidity is 60%-62% INTO JARS THEY GO WITH \
Bud daily and then a few more weeks uickly open and close
I place a boveda pak 62% for long term storage and a 58% pak for smoking now

Speaking of questions about smell...it seems to me that my plant(s) emit a stronger odor every time I water them.
Is it just me, or is it my plant gladly reacting to the water? I swear I'm not imagining it.

Speaking of questions about smell...it seems to me that my plant(s) emit a stronger odor every time I water them.
Is it just me, or is it my plant gladly reacting to the water? I swear I'm not imagining it.
I would guess that through Transpiration (water into the air)
The Plant would smell more,
Water is absorbed by roots from the soil and transported as a liquid to the leaves via xylem. In the leaves, small pores allow water to escape as a vapor and CO 2 to enter the leaf for photosynthesis. Of all the water absorbed by plants, less than 5% remains in the plant for growth and storage following growth.

I have a plant right now that has hardly any smell until the day after I water it.
Coming up on week 7-8 and the plant is just starting to have a smell
Rather Nice one too

I would guess that through Transpiration (water into the air)
The Plant would smell more,
Water is absorbed by roots from the soil and transported as a liquid to the leaves via xylem. In the leaves, small pores allow water to escape as a vapor and CO 2 to enter the leaf for photosynthesis. Of all the water absorbed by plants, less than 5% remains in the plant for growth and storage following growth.

I have a plant right now that has hardly any smell until the day after I water it.
Coming up on week 7-8 and the plant is just starting to have a smell
Rather Nice one too
It's more immediate than it is next day. Plant actually smells pretty good, but it seems like every time I put water to it, it rewards me with a shot of "Thanks, buddy!" semi-skunky heaven. lol
No...I'm not stoned when I water it. Too early in the day for moi.

Not saying this is the best way to do it, but the buds never come out smelling like hay : )

I used to finish them in there, but now I bring RH to 70% or so, then jar and burp them to finish.

View attachment 342865
I would think that wouldn't be the best way to cure marijuana. How does it turn out. How long do you do this?

I would think that wouldn't be the best way to cure marijuana. How does it turn out. How long do you do this?
Depending room temperature and RH, it usually takes one 4 hour run and one to four 2 hour runs to get RH close to 70% with at least 12 hours between runs. I don't claim it's better or even as good as the traditional methods, but since I give most of my bud to others who have far more smoke experience than me, I rely on their opinions. So far no one has suggested I return to traditional methods including other growers. Before I started waiting 12 hours between runs I had some issues with inconsistent taste, I think because I was over drying the outsides of the buds.

Depending room temperature and RH, it usually takes one 4 hour run and one to four 2 hour runs to get RH close to 70% with at least 12 hours between runs. I don't claim it's better or even as good as the traditional methods, but since I give most of my bud to others who have far more smoke experience than me, I rely on their opinions. So far no one has suggested I return to traditional methods including other growers. Before I started waiting 12 hours between runs I had some issues with inconsistent taste, I think because I was over drying the outsides of the buds.
The 12 hour wait thing feels similar to jarring up bud, finding it too moist and putting it into paper bags for a day. Gives the moisture inside time to migrate.

Latest posts

Back