Flowering Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganesa_9

Reaction score
I'm taking my first shot at hydroponics using Lucas formula and so far things are going great. The plant is at five weeks today and is looking good to my inexperienced eyes, but I have a question.

Before this I always bought auto-flower seeds but this time I used seeds from an auto-flower I planted outside that was inadvertently pollinated (neighbor's plants?) and I know that the likelihood of the seeds I used being auto-flower are low to nil. So these are probably just pot seeds, no auto, not necessarily female, a complete wildcard. I know the plant the first seed produced is female because it has its female parts showing and some tiny flowering, but HOW do I know when to start the REAL flowering cycle by switching to 12/12 on lighting? Is there a good indicator of when to go to 12/12, or is there an arbitrary time to do it, or is at any point my heart desires? I figure its starting to flower (tiny) on its own, so maybe I should take the hint and set the lights to 12 on 12 off? Thanks.

hey there Ganesa_9

couple questions:

- do you know the strain of your auto and the strain of your neighbors plant?
- can you post up a photo or two please?

hey there Ganesa_9

couple questions:

- do you know the strain of your auto and the strain of your neighbors plant?
- can you post up a photo or two please?
I assume it's the woman who lives behind me, but pot is a sore subject in my neighborhood and I'd prefer that nobody knows... including her, that I grow. When my wife and I first moved out here the first question neighbors asked was 'you ain't gonna be growing any pot, are you? We don't want no drugs around here'. I assume it's her because she's my ONLY neighbor on this side of the highway within a half mile radius. My seeds were (originally) white widow. The plant currently looks like a good sized shrubbery, so based on other info and responses I could probably switch to 12/12 whenever I want. I'm almost within a foot of my lights so I should probably start soon. Pictures later... gotta go out and dig up the sweet potato patch.

I assume it's the woman who lives behind me, but pot is a sore subject in my neighborhood and I'd prefer that nobody knows... including her, that I grow. When my wife and I first moved out here the first question neighbors asked was 'you ain't gonna be growing any pot, are you? We don't want no drugs around here'. I assume it's her because she's my ONLY neighbor on this side of the highway within a half mile radius. My seeds were (originally) white widow. The plant currently looks like a good sized shrubbery, so based on other info and responses I could probably switch to 12/12 whenever I want. I'm almost within a foot of my lights so I should probably start soon. Pictures later... gotta go out and dig up the sweet potato patch.
Your neighborhood sounds just like mine. When I switch to 12/12 depends on the strain. My Frost Hammer stays small so I can leave it in veg longer. Chimera #3 is an entirely different animal. If I let it get 20" tall in veg it will grow out of the top of my tent. Indica's are usually short and bushy while Sativas are long and tall. I adjust accordingly.

Me too, but it was a bad season for them in my neck of the woods. Despite carefully preparing and tilling the beds and growing three different varieties, all I got was a whole buncha long skinny red and orange strings with the occasional (very) tiny sweet potato. There's always next year.

I love me some sweet potatoes!
20231010_181412.jpg
20231010_181412.jpg

Here it is. Its mama was an autoflower White Widow, and its daddy was some low life scum of unknown origin. But it's shrubby like a Widow would be, and it's started to bud already a little bit on its own, and it's about 16 inches from the light which is as high as I can get it, so I'm going to start the flowering part of the light cycle. It's a real simple setup because it's my first hydro. Using Lucas with a bubbler and a homemade drip tube, and the old reliable HD orange bucket. If this works well, I'll try bending to get as many colas (right word?) exposed to the light as possible.

View attachment 343548View attachment 343548

Here it is. Its mama was an autoflower White Widow, and its daddy was some low life scum of unknown origin. But it's shrubby like a Widow would be, and it's started to bud already a little bit on its own, and it's about 16 inches from the light which is as high as I can get it, so I'm going to start the flowering part of the light cycle. It's a real simple setup because it's my first hydro. Using Lucas with a bubbler and a homemade drip tube, and the old reliable HD orange bucket. If this works well, I'll try bending to get as many colas (right word?) exposed to the light as possible.

nice bush!

I would recommend a nice high and tight haircut

Latest posts

Back