LilDads LilGrow ~ 2023

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skunk all trimmed up!

19.36 gram harvest after a 12 day dry! Bummed that it could have been an oz easily without PWM, but I only count the eggs that hatch.

Total harvest is around 40 grams so far! I still have two fatties humming along, so the 66 gram goal is well within reach! Truthfully, everything at this point is a treat since I already have twice what I use in a year anyway, so we’re in great shape!

Attachments

• E4FFE78D-15E9-4CCA-9380-0334C6AE42C7.jpeg
    E4FFE78D-15E9-4CCA-9380-0334C6AE42C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C4C68CB3-4EE9-4771-B3E8-4792EAB218DF.jpeg
    C4C68CB3-4EE9-4771-B3E8-4792EAB218DF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Afghan is chopped!

I was seeing a good portion of amber/ambering trichomes, so I figured it was a risk reward calculation in VA right now: get perfect weed with rot, or have really good weed without rot. I took the latter!

I’m feeling really good about this plant. It smells incredible (earthy and spicy), the ambering trichomes is awesome, and there’s a good bit of volume there (by my standards).

Setting it up for an eleven/twelve day dry after a pretty thorough wet trim. I love this strain from last year, and this years plant was substantially healthier than last years. Very excited!

Attachments

• 5DAB8906-7D62-4C8C-843C-265A59580143.jpeg
    5DAB8906-7D62-4C8C-843C-265A59580143.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 21290CA9-03F5-4040-ADAD-3E79F4986015.jpeg
    21290CA9-03F5-4040-ADAD-3E79F4986015.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 608921AB-BD41-4C3C-B6F5-B3F71C09886C.jpeg
    608921AB-BD41-4C3C-B6F5-B3F71C09886C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I rolled a joint with the Presidential OG and it was fantastic! Four puffs at around 7:45-8 and I was buzzing all the way through bedtime. A quick smack between the eyes and then a euphoric body high that even at its peak wasn’t overwhelming or debilitating.

After drying there’s about 15 grams in the grove bag and there isn’t that “fresh cut grass” smell to it, so I’ve been drying it right this time around.

I’ve got the skunk in the grove bag now and it has a nice citrus/floral smell to it. I should be rolling some of that up next week, so stay tuned for that!

Afghan is chopped!

I was seeing a good portion of amber/ambering trichomes, so I figured it was a risk reward calculation in VA right now: get perfect weed with rot, or have really good weed without rot. I took the latter!

I’m feeling really good about this plant. It smells incredible (earthy and spicy), the ambering trichomes is awesome, and there’s a good bit of volume there (by my standards).

Setting it up for an eleven/twelve day dry after a pretty thorough wet trim. I love this strain from last year, and this years plant was substantially healthier than last years. Very excited!
You know moonshiners used to throw a car battery and sometimes dead livestock to give their moonshine the right “kick”

You aren’t trying to add a scent to your grow with that sock are ya?

Just razzing you excellent looking plants!

You know moonshiners used to throw a car battery and sometimes dead livestock to give their moonshine the right “kick”

You aren’t trying to add a scent to your grow with that sock are ya?

Just razzing you excellent looking plants!
That sock looks like it’s been to hell and back.

Drying question:

In the grove bag, the skunk buds are sticking together. Too wet?

Further, the stems aren’t snapping off with the presidential OG. Too wet?

I don’t like putting them in and then taking them out of the bags so often, but I want to get this cure right. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Note: I don’t have a hygrometer.

Last edited:
IMG_3423.png
IMG_3422.png

A digital hydrometer and a Boveda pack goes in all my jars. I have never used the grove bags, but was thinking they were supposed to self regulate humidity.
I would still stick a digital hydrometer in the grove bags.

Is it too dry if the stems snap?
I have been fooled by waiting till the stem snaps. Better to look and feel your buds. You will get a feel for them. I move mine in and out of the jars for a little extra drying. I started out with digital hydrometers and boveda but don’t really use them all the time now that I have a good handle on how I like them. I still drop a hydrometer in the jar if I’m concerned or want to know if they are too dry/wet. They are very cheap and new ones seem to be cheaper than buying batteries when they run out.

has anyone found cheap replacement batteries for them?

View attachment 333827View attachment 333828
A digital hydrometer and a Boveda pack goes in all my jars. I have never used the grove bags, but was thinking they were supposed to self regulate humidity.
I bought an 8 pack of these but I got the round ones. I saw a guy on YouTube put one of these in each jar and burp every few days when the number goes up until it stayed about 60. At that point I can seal in seal a meal bags for long term.

I put mine all out on a table around my gauge and they were all spot on. Goes with my controls theme. If I can measure it I feel better about the process.

View attachment 333827View attachment 333828
They are marketed that way, but if that’s their schtick, I should still be able to check for myself!

Thanks everyone! I like your style Sub. I’ll get a hydrometer this week and use that for the last two plants I harvest and see if it makes a measurable difference.

I have been fooled by waiting till the stem snaps. Better to look and feel your buds. You will get a feel for them. I move mine in and out of the jars for a little extra drying. I started out with digital hydrometers and boveda but don’t really use them all the time now that I have a good handle on how I like them. I still drop a hydrometer in the jar if I’m concerned or want to know if they are too dry/wet. They are very cheap and new ones seem to be cheaper than buying batteries when they run out.

Amazon or WallyWorld.

You will, of course, need to know what battery. Mine take an LR44 of which a card of 40 on Amazon is $9

Yours may take a different coin style battery but I would think it will also be cheap

Amazon for both.
I have 4 of the Calibre IV hygrometers. I have some of the cheaper ones from Amazon too but some went bad in under a year. Makes me question when they are going bad. I had one Calibre go bad too but that was after 5 years or so. My comment on Amazon or WallyWorld though was for batteries. Amazon has more brands and are cheaper though. WallyWorld is a sh!tshow but good if you need something today instead of 2 day shipping turning into a week which seems to happen to me too frequently lately with Amazon.

Edit:by going bad, I mean the RH started to show very low(20-30% lower than shown with my calibrated Calibre hygrometers).

Last edited:
All plant update!

I got a hygrometer, super grateful for that. Thanks fam.

—————————————————
Presidential OG #1:
Reading was at 67% and trending up, so almost there! I am going to paper bag that in a few and let it sit out overnight. Then do another reading tomorrow and see if we can get between 62% and 55%.

Note: finished my first joint with this last night, and it’s an absolute treat! Hit the body and head almost instantly and gradually the head high fades until it’s exclusively a body high. Big fan! I’d like to see how it mellows out. Cutting the head high down a little would be good, but no need for perfection.

Spicy/earthy smell profile with a little bit of a harsh smoke. Seeing that it’s not dried out all the way, that makes sense to me. I screwed up on the drying process for this one, so it may just be a little harsh on the first drag each smoking session, which I’m cool with.

—————————————————
Skunk:
Reading at 68% and trending up, so I’ll give it the same treatment as the first Presidential OG.

Haven’t sampled yet, but after I work through some edibles I’ll take it for a spin!

Sweet and citrus smells coming off of it. Very excited to taste it!

—————————————————
Afghan:
Day 5 into drying and smelling great! I’m really excited for this one since the amber was very present in the trichomes and the buds were SUPER frosty. I hope to be in trim jail early next Friday and then I’m hoping to dry this stud out correctly before it hits the grove bags.

—————————————————-
Presidential OG #2:
Trichomes attached! Looks great, but I am a little bummed at how there doesn’t seem to be any ambering. That said, I don’t think it’d be prudent to run the clock out on it. It’s approaching 12 weeks, and we’re at the point in the summer when rot becomes a real threat. She’ll be getting the chop tomorrow as we’re in some pretty spooky humidity.

I think I defoliated a little too early on this plant which seems to have stunted the final product, but alas. I can’t say I’d have done it differently given that the skunk had a real problem with PWM and measures needed to be taken.

There’s a little more sweetness to the smell of this plant. Interested to see how it smells after the chop!
—————————————————

Man, this grow has been awesome. Four mostly healthy plants with no hermie bits and only a mild and treatable case of PWM. I felt very confident in this grow, and while my harvest certainly won’t be anywhere near what a lot of y’all have done, I’m not hanging my head since I’m still a noob and growing weed that I have had only one complaint about yet (the only complaint is that one friend wanted middies, and he’s a dipsh!t sometimes).

I’m not done yet! But thanks to the folks who have been following closely and really helping a noob out! Shout out to @SubmarineGirl, @bigsur51, @Carty, @Flower, @Hippie420, @oldfogey8, @pute, and @WeedHopper. Y’all were awesome and gave me so much help and insight, which meant a lot because y’all are very impressive gardeners and I’m proverbially a peasant in the court.

Attachments

• 9CC07203-3E53-4147-8E37-F433FB800015.jpeg
    9CC07203-3E53-4147-8E37-F433FB800015.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 15BBA15D-0312-4472-A445-01FD41654929.jpeg
    15BBA15D-0312-4472-A445-01FD41654929.jpeg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 66BDF3DB-40B5-4A1D-AB4E-9234618130E4.jpeg
    66BDF3DB-40B5-4A1D-AB4E-9234618130E4.jpeg
    740.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 05412A65-13AC-4705-8127-6C43D210D842.jpeg
    05412A65-13AC-4705-8127-6C43D210D842.jpeg
    710.5 KB · Views: 0
  • EF7B9825-E94A-4531-9257-F7EC27892C57.jpeg
    EF7B9825-E94A-4531-9257-F7EC27892C57.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 0
Trimmed up 20.7 grams of Afghan today! It’s been sitting the in the unsealed grove bag and is sitting at around 65% RH, so I think after leaving it there overnight should get it in cure mode.

As of now, I’m around 61 grams for this summer, with the last plant hanging up! My goal was 66 grams, and I think I’ll likely be knocking on the door of 80 grams!

Stoked about this years grow. I felt much more confident and really dialed in on nutes this time around. Obviously, I have a long way to go, but I’m more than happy with 4 times the amount of weed I use in a year with two batches of edibles still pending.

I could very well get away with growing one plant well, but it’s important to me to be generous (and legal - I don’t sell per the laws in VA) with what I have.

Next year, I do think that I’ll scale back to two plants, but go with some Mephisto or Photon Farms seeds. I feel confident that at this point, they won’t be wasted.

Attachments

• AF918A42-3E3B-41F0-9A36-A13F849BFA10.jpeg
    AF918A42-3E3B-41F0-9A36-A13F849BFA10.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
A little under 16 grams for the last Presidential OG! Not the best harvest, but the sum total harvest was 76.69 grams! Since the goal was 66 grams, I’m pretty stoked!

Last year, my bigger plants were 15 grams, and this year, my smallest was 16 grams! Reflection post coming soon. Very happy with how it all panned out, and I’m glad to not have plants out in the 100+ degree weather the past week or so.

A little under 16 grams for the last Presidential OG! Not the best harvest, but the sum total harvest was 76.69 grams! Since the goal was 66 grams, I’m pretty stoked!

Last year, my bigger plants were 15 grams, and this year, my smallest was 16 grams! Reflection post coming soon. Very happy with how it all panned out, and I’m glad to not have plants out in the 100+ degree weather the past week or so.
Always good to see someone who grew some good herb and appreciated it. Yeah supposed to hit 100 today where I am in Maryland glad I don’t have outside plants

Latest posts

Back