FYI charcoal filter on faucet affects ph!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaceful

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I added a pur 3 stage filter system to my kitchen faucet to get rid of chlorine in my tap for the girls. Well, I checked the ph as I always do and it took my 7.2 tap water and raised it to a lofty 8.0!
Now I know there are some who haven't started checking ph yet and If they do this without adjusting it will definately lock up some nutes. The strange thing is that it took the same amount of distilled vinegar to bring this back down to 6.6-6.8 as it does my unfiltered 7.2 tap.
I am also unsure if this will continue once the filter gets used a bit more.
Just wanted to bring this to your attention to help anyone who is adding a filter to avoid nute lock. Peace.

Hello Peaceful :)

If you let your water stand for 24hrs in a bucket the chlorine will evaporate out of it ;)

:peace:

Thanks Hippy. I do that too. Actually, I fill 1g jugs 3/4 full and leave them for 3-4 days with the tops off. I bought the filter for drinking water and figured WTH, the girls need filtered water too!

I go a step further and allow my water to sit in a bucket with an airstone, thus allowing the chlorine to evaporate and oxygenating the water as well.

I use the same pur 3 stage filter as you but my ph has remained the same after the innitial use. Are you letting the water run through for a few minuets before watering your plants? Every time you change the filter you're supposed to let it run.
I have'nt noticed any drastic change myself but I guess it could have something to do with different municipalities filtration plants as well as methods for filtration.

Latest posts

Back