Germing question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrypnoticKronic

Reaction score
Mk guys got a quick Q.....

Now if I have two seeds germin and sprouted but with little sprouts like medium size, should I leave them to germ for more time or plant em and throw em under the lights?

plant them if they have sprouted, some say they don't need light until they break ground, but I keep them under lights.

I guess you are talking about tap roots? Be careful not to damage the tap root when planting it...that's why I soak my seeds for like 12 hours and then they go right into soil...I don't like messing with them when they hve tap roots...

Do yourself a favor next time and germinate them right in the soil and you won't have to worry about it.

Yes exactly. (the three posters above)
Roots DONT LIKE LIGHT! Why would you want to allow the root to be exposed to the light? IMO that's damaging the plant even before it gets a chance.

so you believe let them sprout first before light comes in? because I put my germin seeds under lights today at around 9ish

CrypnoticKronic said:
so you believe let them sprout first before light comes in? because I put my germin seeds under lights today at around 9ish

When you use the paper towel method you cause the seeds to get a tap root...this tap root is extremely sensitive to things like light, heat, etc... that's why I only soak my beans for like 12 hours..just enough to soften them but not long enough to get a tap root showing...then they go into my soil and under cfl's...

Hamster Lewis said:
When you use the paper towel method you cause the seeds to get a tap root...this tap root is extremely sensitive to things like light, heat, etc... that's why I only soak my beans for like 12 hours..just enough to soften them but not long enough to get a tap root showing...then they go into my soil and under cfl's...

So should I remove them under the lights?

Hamster Lewis said:

So should I remove them under the lights?

I would put them in soil, tap root down, and keep the soil moist. You don't need to cover the pots with anything, just keep them moist. 1/4" deep is fine. When I use to do the paper towel method I would take a sharpened pencil and poke it in the soil and place the see in the hole after they sprouted. Next time you can soak them for 12 hours if you want before you plant them, or just keep the soil moist and they will be fine.

The tap root is down for all of em =)

Thanks everyone for the advice.... I hope I make some great success..... I will start a journal once all of em have sprouted...

Hamster Lewis said:

Not to mention that the tap root has tiny roots coming from the main root that inbed into the paper towel, and get broken when pulling it out of the paper towel.

I to, soak in water/hydrogen peroxide solution for 24 hrs and plant directly into soil, at the depth of 2 seeds deep, or aproximately 1/4". I was tought the paper towel method back when I was a kid, and used it for yrs. But after reading the damage done doing it this way I switched up about 5 yrs ago.

If you insist on knowing if the seeds germinated before planting use wet newspaper (not color print) the micro roots will not inbed in it as easy as the paper towel.

Hamster Lewis said:

Exactly! Same as I do and my germ rates are pretty much 100%. Just soak until the seed shows a white line - that means it is about to open, the tap root is about to emerge. Then - without touching it with your fingers! - (I use the edge of a wet piece of paper) carefully transfer it to the grow medium and cover it with about 1/10" depth to keep light out, (I plant mine a little deeper in coco) and water with drips only to get the medium wet around the seed. The rest of the medium should be damp not soaking. Then it's just a question of keeping it warm. Until the sprout breaks the surface it needs no light of course.

legalize_freedom said:
Not to mention that the tap root has tiny roots coming from the main root that inbed into the paper towel, and get broken when pulling it out of the paper towel.

I to, soak in water/hydrogen peroxide solution for 24 hrs and plant directly into soil, at the depth of 2 seeds deep, or aproximately 1/4". I was tought the paper towel method back when I was a kid, and used it for yrs. But after reading the damage done doing it this way I switched up about 5 yrs ago.

If you insist on knowing if the seeds germinated before planting use wet newspaper (not color print) the micro roots will not inbed in it as easy as the paper towel.

Dead right. But if you insist on using towel and it is showing a tap root, do NOT try to remove it but instead cut off the little bit of towel it's in and plant the seed with the paper all in one. The paper won't inhibit it. If you put a decent magnifier (x50 or more) on the tap root you will be surprised.

Latest posts

Back