gettin it purple..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce

Reaction score
quick question... im growing sum GDP clones and I just started to flower... I know its in the plants genes to turn a nice purple color... but how do I bring it out?? I hear u gota keep the growroom a lil colder during flowering... sumthin like 60-75 degrees max.... whut do u guys know about this??? thnx

andy52 said:
its also in the pheno. type. some more than others.
I just had some grand daddpy purps and it wasnt even purple it was green looked like regular old weed nothing special i was mad it wasnt purple :eek:

im not sure if the GDP clones are all from one mother or if there's more than one pheno going around. but i bet it will have hints of purp.
you might get lucky and get a purple pheno if so you can help it turn purp
by lowering temps but it mostly the genetics. i got some GDP a few times before and there was very little purp in it at all but it is some potent tasty smoke. from the looks of the bags i got its a low yielder lots of small rock hard buds

yo thank u pothead... I thought it was lower temps also... an im about 99 percent sure its in my plants genes..

one thing i know GDP best strain one thing i know GDP isnt really called GDP its a cross of jamacain purps with some other strain

I grew Sugar Grandaddy Purple this last summer. Two of the three plants were more green than the Purple. Tho the one I took last was very purple. Just a few days ago, I saw one of the sisters to those clones and it was black. I took some of the popcorn buds left on that plant after harvest and dried them, they tasted nothing like the sisters I raised. The temps had been falling into the high fourties at night on that plant, daytime sixties. His other plants (what was left of them) had gone semi purple from the cooler temps, but the grandaddy was black. I think it was both pheno and temps.
Good luck with the Grandaddy, I love it, and it is my fave smoke I grew last year.

HydroManiac said:
one thing i know GDP best strain one thing i know GDP isnt really called GDP its a cross of jamacain purps with some other strain
from the Cannabible 3 by Jason King
GDP- Purple Erkle x Big Bud
ever since Purple Erkle became all the rage on the west coast herb scene. demand for the product has been overwhelming . the Erkle is tricky to grow, isnt a large yielder, and isnt particularly early. the need arose for a fatter and quicker version of Erkle. by crossing it with a Big Bud male from Sensi seeds. growers have basicaly achieved this goal with GDP this one depends on cold temperature's to turn purple. the flavour is sweet and perfumy, with a pungent bottom end, but its not quite as exotic as the Erkle. the high is strong and felt mostly in the body

be sure too post some pics later if you get them purple :)

Purple Urkle, also known as Purple Urkel and Purple Erkle. This strain is a clone only medical strain available in California compassion clubs. Probably a pheno on Mendo Purps or The Purps it's a classical med strain.

Purple Urkle from clone only

Lineage: Mendo Purps pheno
Family: Mostly Indica
Origin: North California
Region: Not Listed
Genotype: Not Listed
Indoor Maturation: 60 to 65 days
Outdoor Maturation: Not Listed
Sex Possibilities: Pure Female Clones
Stature: Bushy but slow
Yield: 4
Odor Level: 8
Odor Description: A skunk wearing perfume
Taste Level: 9
Taste Description: Always Grapey and fine

Claims that Purple Urkle is from Lavender seed stock are largely dispelled since Lavender is neither this consistant or this good. The flavor is exquisite, and blend of skunk, berries and grapes that seems to taste the same whenever you smoke it. No matter what grower it comes from the taste and effects are the same. A heavey Idica with smaller than normal yeild, barely a 1/2 lb from a 1000 watt light. She's bushy and vegs slowly. A good 8 week strain suitable for most medical uses. The high is a bit too strong for some and is reccommended at night time. The smoke is tastey, thick and pungent. It compares well with strains like Grand Daddy Purple and Grape Ape.

Flowering Time: 8 weeks
Breeder: Norcal Clone Only
Gardening Style: Slow vegging
Medical Uses: Many, very potent
Strain Rating: 3.29 (478 votes so far)

Pothead420 said:
from the Cannabible 3 by Jason King
GDP- Purple Erkle x Big Bud
ever since Purple Erkle became all the rage on the west coast herb scene. demand for the product has been overwhelming . the Erkle is tricky to grow, isnt a large yielder, and isnt particularly early. the need arose for a fatter and quicker version of Erkle. by crossing it with a Big Bud male from Sensi seeds. growers have basicaly achieved this goal with GDP this one depends on cold temperature's to turn purple. the flavour is sweet and perfumy, with a pungent bottom end, but its not quite as exotic as the Erkle. the high is strong and felt mostly in the body

Like I Said I really dont think its a real strain only one i would really believe is TCBUDs because she got hers from a seed bank ;)

Cool temps and a good flush. Purples/colors come out more when there is less chlorophyll left in plants. I recently read switching to a 10k MH for the last week of flowering brings out colors too.

ya all I can get for lights rite now is the 3 300watt cfls and 2 warm whites... with 4 plants bout 12-18 inches high rite now... how much of a yield do u think I will get on average??

Well....
I might put my two sense in here.

I've grown a lot of outdoor over the years and have sometimes let plants stay out for 2-4 frosts to purple up the buds. I found it was a trait more prominent in Indica strains, but I believe it has something to do with the remaining chrophyl actually freezing and make that purple hue you speak of. Sometimes it would only be the leaves and only colour some of the actual nug, other times the whole plant would go purple.

I grew some BC Big bud the past two seasons and this happened, but only on my smaller plants, the larger ones withstood it.

However I grew some in 3 hanging baskets upside-down. Roots grew up through soil and the plant grew down through a hole in the bottom, maybe a gallon of soil, roots peeked, wouldn't grow out of soil but light was still penitrating to them, turned all the buds purple first week of flower. Only got 10-15 grams per plant but it was some ridiculous bud. Pale purple throughout with a orange taste.

Anyways, I am growing Blueberyy right now and they get their colours in the late stages of flower much like other colourful buds, so if you did lower th temps enough I think that it would help the process out. I would think anyways.

Yield is hard to say, be better if we could see pics, to get an idea.
If you are using CFL's, don't get your hopes up and think you are gonna yiled 2+ ounces a plant, but if you treat them right you could see near or over an Ounce per plant if you play your cards right.

A friend of mine did a all Flouro grow, was getting all pumped to harvest his plantand in the end he only harvested 23 grams dry. Enough for a week of him smokin.

I hear that people like to use Purple Max, its a hit or miss but it brings out the color. This is for commercial growing i personally dont like smoking chemically purple.

im still usin the 3 300watt cfls should I get the 2 warm whites also?? I hear they help flowering?? or should I jus get more cool whites???

my friend just told me last night that a grower he knows cuts an "x" at the bottom of the main stem right above soil level to wound the plant. He said that this makes purple come out somehow i cant remember tho, anyone heard of this?

Latest posts

Back