Glut of tomatoes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyInEngland

Smoke Free Zone.
Reaction score
Hi guys : - )

I grew 6 tomato plants and they are ALL ready at the same time, any idea's what to do with them all?
Preserves?
Pickles?
etc etc?

Hahah... I love 'em! I slice them thinly and put them on plate. I then slice very thin pieces of onion on top of them. Finally, I put a little pepper on and douse everything in distilled vinegar. I've been gorging for weeks like this!

DLtoker said:
Hahah... I love 'em! I slice them thinly and put them on plate. I then slice very thin pieces of onion on top of them. Finally, I put a little pepper on and douse everything in distilled vinegar. I've been gorging for weeks like this!

The beauty of it all is you can eat all you want and never gain an ounce. :D

take'em to work. Don't let them rot. people pay good money for those. you could save a co worker a buck or to. plus they seem to taste better most of the time.

when you harvest them.......break the vine. If you leave them on the vine, they will keep longer.

HippyInEngland said:
Hi guys : - )

I grew 6 tomato plants and they are ALL ready at the same time, any idea's what to do with them all?
Preserves?
Pickles?
etc etc?

Hi Hippy, I like to have homegrown tomatoes all winter, but I also don't have the patience to 'can' them...soooo...

I pick them and place the whole tomatoes on a cookie sheet in the freezer in a single layer overnight or until frozen Next day, I take them out, drop each one in a sinkful of warm water, this causes the skin to crack and just peel right off.

Next I put the now skinless, still frozen, tomatoes into a plastic bag and back into the freezer for use later this winter for almost any recipe that calls for tomatoes and the flavor is incredible in whatever recipe I use it in...hope that helps some...:D

Yo Rose

I have to admit ive never heard of that one before but I will give it a try thanks.

Hey Hippy do u have pics of the tomatoe plants?

HippyInEngland said:
Yo Rose

I have to admit ive never heard of that one before but I will give it a try thanks.

YW...I've done the canning and pickling, etc...this is by far the easiest way I've found to handle excess tomatoes. :D

hi hippy - years ago i grew a garden full of roma tomatos, (12' x 24') there were over 100 plants, we had them coming out our ying-yangs. we canned so many i didn't need 2 buy tomato sauce 4 for ( i can't remember for how long? - it was a long time) years. i've only got 14 (beefsteak) plants growing at this time. we eat a lot of tomato sauce.

Latest posts

Back