GMMJ 1st Grow Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello hello!
So this is my first time keeping a grow journal.
This is also my third time trying to grow, all others had failed because my cat, Reverand, is quite the little pothead and has eaten all my plants, I didn't kill him, though I did come close, but I finally put up high enough shelves he can't reach.

I planted on or around Christmas, so its been about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. We are so excited that they have finally gotten to this point, and lucky for me I have a Gramps that is a POT GURU. He has been helping us with everything to get to this point.

In my intro I had said I had 4 little babies growing, well alas, 2 have died, they were the youngest and I beleive I transplanted them to fast, but its alright, because the 2 I have been gunning for have survived. I believe I have a female and a male, if it turns out the other is male, he will probably get plucked as soon as I see his little balls, but it just might be to soon to tell, so I shall give em more time.

Oh and also, they are not anything special, just regular ol' swag seeds, but hopefully sometime soon, maybe gramps will give me an Afgan clone or seed, or I might order some, dunno yet. Not sure how online seed getting works for Texas.

Setup.jpg

Sideview.jpg

Above.jpg

:ciao: and Big :yay: for Gramps

can you share more info on your setup...ie...lights used heat...air exchange..and ye you have a few weeks befor they will show...what soil is that?

mojo for the grow

take care and be safe

what makes ya think that one is female?

Well my light is a 15 Watt Florescent Indoor Grow Light. It puts off a small amount of heat. The air is always flowing in my room, I keep a fan under the shelves to circulate, and since it's nice and cold outside my window is open.
I'm using just regular potting soil with average nutrients.

And I believe my more leafy one is a female because I found the 2 little hairs underneath the cluster. I might be wrong but I hope not. :)

Wouldn't it be great if we could tell this early. It takes much longer to sex a plant. Green mojo to your grow.

Welcome to MP.

I would recommend that you do a bit more reading on what it takes to grow this marvelous plant and a little more of the biology of the plant. You are going to need to set up a small grow area that you can control the environment. You need way way more light right away.

You are also not going to want to use soil with nutrients in it--it can kill seedlings and may be why you lost your other 2 plants. They do not want or need any food for 2-3 weeks. When you get ready to buy food, I recommend something formulated for mj, like General hydroponics or Fox Farm.

You are also going to only want 1 plant per container. Start them in smaller containers and repot when they outgrow the pot they are in. They are too small to have to needed to be transplanted, even if they were in tiny containers. You plants are also way to small to even begin to think of sexing them. They will need to be a lot bigger before you even can begin to look for signs of sex. When the nodes start alternating is when sex should start to show. It usually happens around 4-6 weeks, but your plants are quite small for their age, so I am guessing that it is going to take longer than that. I would also encourage you to plant more seeds to ensure a female, especially if you are using bagseed.

Thank you HG, I definitely do need to read up on it some more. I just got a little over excited about the sex and probably just ended up psyching myself up. :p
About their own growing space, Gramps and my husband are actually about to start turning our spare room into a grow space. My Gramps has only been growing outside, but he's working on putting nice big HUGE lights together. I figured my light wasn't enough at all.
Thank you also for letting me know about the soil, that definitely explains alot. So I should use just good ol' mother nature's soil to start more seedlings?

And also, is there any food that I could pick up at my local WalMart? I don't have the means of ordering Fox Farms or MJ specific foods. :(

its is good to see you up growing giveme so far so good. but like mom/thg said do your reading so you know what your doing and you dont buy the same stuff twice. green mojo for you

GiveMeMaryJane said:
Thank you HG, I definitely do need to read up on it some more. I just got a little over excited about the sex and probably just ended up psyching myself up. :p
About their own growing space, Gramps and my husband are actually about to start turning our spare room into a grow space. My Gramps has only been growing outside, but he's working on putting nice big HUGE lights together. I figured my light wasn't enough at all.
Thank you also for letting me know about the soil, that definitely explains alot. So I should use just good ol' mother nature's soil to start more seedlings?

And also, is there any food that I could pick up at my local WalMart? I don't have the means of ordering Fox Farms or MJ specific foods. :(

You all should really read up on indoor growing BEFORE starting a grow space. Inside growing and outdoor growing are quite different. This is a hobby that can be very rewarding, but there are certain things you are going to need. Growing good mj takes money, study, research, dedication, effort, and love. How much money do you have for this project? That will determine our suggestions to you.

You are not going to want to convert an entire room--that would cost thousands to light. Make a space (you may want to consider a tent) the size suited to your grow. Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft. For vegetative growth, you are going to want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft., for flowering you are going to want a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft. The 15W bulb you are using is emitting about 900 lumens. So, you would need 3-6 of those lights for every sq ft of space. Of all the lights we use to grow, CFLs are the most expensive to use and produce the least. I personally use T5 fluorescent tubes for vegging and high wattage HPS (a 1000W and a 600W) for flowering. You are also going to need good ventilation soon--something almost as important as your lighting. They also need an oscillating fan blowing on them to help strengthen the stems and move the air around.

Why can you not buy things off the internet? It is incredibly hard to set up a grow unless you buy off the internet or have a grow store near you. As a side note, I do not feel safe going into the grow store in the city I live near. It is still illegal in my state and it is simply too easy for LEO to watch the place and jot down license plate numbers. I feel far safer buying online, which is what I do. You are not going to find what you need at Walmart.

The more you know and the better you plan your grow space less stuff you are going to buy that you do not need or want. Most of us have a place that we have ill thought out purchases stored. If you are handy and thrifty, there are ways to do things for cheaper. I once made a dual 150W HPS in a cooltube for about $25 from 2 security lights I found at a yard sale. I found a 400W MH at a storage unit sale for $20.

:stoned:

TheHempGodess

I think thats your longest post todate...You smoking that Satori again :giggle:

:ciao: GMMJ keep on...keeping on
:48:

Here is a couple sites that I order from so I know they have good materials and good service: discount_hydro.com; hpsgrowlightstore.com; plantlightinghydroponics.com And there are more places but these places are fast, discreet packaging, good prices, and shipped right to your door without LEO following it :)

I also recommend getting a tent unless you are already in the process of putting up a grow room. I have 3 Secreet Jardin tents, 1 is a 4'x4' and 2 are 5'x5'. Absolutely love them :)

I also recommend getting charcoal filters and exaust fand for filtering and venting the air from your grow space as the kids will get very odorous and are able to be smelled outside without filtration.

I wouldn't recommend using soil from outside your house or even off a farm as there are many organisms living outside that you don't want to bring into a controlled grow environment. There are a few choices for getting soil but also don't use Miracle Grow soil unless it is the total organic soil that they offer without any added nutrients. I have found some good organic soils at Lowes, homeDepot, and other garden centers. :)

Thanks all of you! And I'm going have to change my whole game plan. I'll start another journal when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. My leafy one died today, I believe it was bugs ... so needless to say I am pretty upset.

And that spare room is more like a closet, lol. It's tiny. Like 6 X 9.

GiveMeMaryJane said:
Thanks all of you! And I'm going have to change my whole game plan. I'll start another journal when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. My leafy one died today, I believe it was bugs ... so needless to say I am pretty upset.

Stick with yur trail and we will walk some with ya little lady we all start from nothin and achieve our need in the end dont leave fireside stay learn and make friend still ;)

BWD

GiveMeMaryJane said:

:D Friends help friends.... And Knowledge is Power..... And you must be Patience...Thats what it takes to grow...jmo......:icon_smile:

GiveMeMaryJane said:

Sorry about losing your baby. I would guess that it may have been the soil.

LOL--actually, a 6 x 9 is quite a large space--it would require 2 1000W lights and most likely an 8" or larger centrifuge fan. I am running a 1000W in a space 3 x 6.5. Depending on where the door is, you may be able to have separate flowering and vegging spaces.

Latest posts

Back