Got bulbs free from friend...help me plan!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenguy

Reaction score
So a friend just gave me one 1000w HPS and one 1000w MH for free!!! They are from a closed down commercial lighting company...so not originally for grow use

Problem is they are only bulbs no cool hoods...need suggestions on where to get these for best price???

Also I would like to set these up in a 6.3ft x 6.3ft x 6.3ft grow tent...Is it even possible??? Will I need a larger tent??? Where can I get the best price on tents???

Temps are going to be a problem so I will need an excellent exaust system and carbon scrubber, also need advice on these items sizes and best place to buy???

At the moment I am planning on 8 five gallon DWC buckets w OG kush clones...

the area of the temt is good but you would want it higher that 6.3ft.
for good prices i cant suggest a single place but i can say that most hydro stores rip you off so look for appliance stores for the stuff you need before hand. theres a DIY carbon scrubber in the diy section you could look it up ;) cheers

The bulbs are only a tiny small part of what comprises a HID system. In addition to the reflectors, you will also need ballasts. You will most likely be better off buying entire HID setups and keeping the bulbs your friend gave you as backup bulbs.

Do you have $1000-2000 to drop into this project?

My budget is 2k...and I expect to get everything online rather than at the hydro stores around me bc they are severly over priced! A friend has suggested a wholesale hydro center here in the city that I will atleast check out but would prefer to buy the cheaper stuff online.

Hemp Goddess...you do think I will be able to buy the hood/ballast seperate without bulbs?

oh yeah theres no question of a dout that you can get it all without bulbs.. you can also tell the hydro tech.. thatyou dont need the bulb.. you may get some cash tooken off...
LH

greenguy said:
My budget is 2k...and I expect to get everything online rather than at the hydro stores around me bc they are severly over priced! A friend has suggested a wholesale hydro center here in the city that I will atleast check out but would prefer to buy the cheaper stuff online.

Hemp Goddess...you do think I will be able to buy the hood/ballast seperate without bulbs?

Well, yes, I am sure that you can get them without bulbs. But I personally would never be without backup bulbs.

I buy a lot of stuff from HTG supply. You can also check Craig's List and E-bay for some good buys. I got a complete 600W air cooled system with a Lumatek ballast for $185 a while ago.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, yes, I am sure that you can get them without bulbs. But I personally would never be without backup bulbs.

In addition, with "used" bulbs, you have no idea how many hours are on them(if they are weakening). For that, you would need a light meter. Buy new bulbs. Theyre less than $40 apiece, unless you are taken in by the "grow hype'", and think you need a "Hortilux, or Agrosun" brand.
IMO/E you are just as well off with any quality brand. GE, Sylvania, ect.

they are brand new bulbs in the box and such...He actually has a bunch of em that I can have so pretty much I will never ever have to pay for bulbs!

But def need to get myself air cooled hoods and a good exaust system!

Hick said:
In addition, with "used" bulbs, you have no idea how many hours are on them(if they are weakening). For that, you would need a light meter. Buy new bulbs. Theyre less than $40 apiece, unless you are taken in by the "grow hype'", and think you need a "Hortilux, or Agrosun" brand.
IMO/E you are just as well off with any quality brand. GE, Sylvania, ect.

Ahh, I was gonna say that. $50 for MH and $80 for HPS. Crazy to use used bulbs if you dont have light meter. Only hurting your yield.

I'm asking because I don't know: Are commercial/parking-lot bulbs the same as the bulbs we use to grow?

If the answer is yes, then I've probably thrown away $10,000 worth of HIDs over the years doing commercial construction.

pencil... I'm guessing... that if you ask agrosun or hortilux, they're going to tell you that their bulbs are enhanced with beneficial spectrum, lumens, ect. BUT.. IMO, it is negligible at best, and most certainly not worth the EXTRA $$$'s.

Hicks right. Get a light meter and check for yourself. A $200 Hort vs my $80 Super Sun, on a brand new very expensive digital light meter, were within .5% of each other. Lifespan, I am not sure about. But I will update in about 8 months and let everyone know. But even if I replace the Super Sun bulbs every 4000 hours, just does not make sense to spend that much on a bulb, IMO. Srry If this derails the thread, I will save more for down the road.

Latest posts

Back