Green Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEFTHAND said:
all it took was a lil green power light on a tower fan to screw up the grow.. give it a go and see... i will be interested to see what becomes of your findings..
LH
1 watt, two watts, light green, dark green, green bulb or just a green lense? Lumens of light produced?

i bet ya a green christmas light will do it..
LH

wow that's crazy lefty.. what strain? (i want to be sure to avoid it, cause it sounds pretty weak)

gotta say, i've been using a green light for many years i don't think it's caused me any problems.
i used to think it didn't effect them at all, but will admit it might. but it's obviously the best choice of spectrum if you really must be in there after lights out.
i don't think it effects them from my experience, but have no proof.. *now if you left it on the whole 12 hours, maybe. but i've had no ill effects from 5 minutes here and there.

PieRsquare said:
One watt, two watts, seven watts, dark green, light green?

what ever a standard outdoor christmas light is sir...it doesnt take much to interfer with the dark period.. once disturbed..:eek: .....look at how much light a power bar light put off.. not much ehh.. but enough to bark things up..
LH

I was thinking a big incandescent green bulb like i use to check my plants with. :D Not sure the watts off hand but probably 40 or 60. It'll be a total overload, depending on the size of the box, but it will really tell the tale, I'd say!

My solution to the issue is to never, never open the door for any reason while it's in the dark period. Planning. Doing what is needed when the lights are on. I've never had a reason to open the door of my grow-room while it was dark. Never. That's in a lot of years.

monkeybusiness said:
I was thinking a big incandescent green bulb like i use to check my plants with. :D Not sure the watts off hand but probably 40 or 60. It'll be a total overload, depending on the size of the box, but it will really tell the tale, I'd say!
OMG! :eek: I'll bet!

Green light reflects off the plant making it look greener. Green light is used by all plants but not much. Green light does not effect the budding cycle in plants. Thats why hortocultrist have been using it for years. Later Man

The information I've found doesn't say if green light would do anything to interrupt the flowering cycle, or what strength it would need to be if it did, but while I was looking around about the green light thing, I discovered this book:

Avoid Misconceptions When Teaching About Plants

By: Dr.David R. Hershey

About Dr. Hershey:

David R. Hershey, Ph.D., is a biology education consultant and author of Plant Biology Science Projects (1995, Wiley). He has published over three dozen teaching articles in journals such as Science Teacher, Science Activities, Plant Science Bulletin, American Biology Teacher, and BioScience. He answers botany questions for madsci.org and often contributes to the bionet.plants.education newsgroup. Hershey received his Ph.D. in plant physiology from University of California at Davis.

Quote from his book:

Photosynthesis:

•A widespread misconception states that leaves reflect all green light and do not use green light in photosynthesis. Leaves often absorb more than 50% of the green light and use it efficiently in photosynthesis.The origin of this misconception is probably the chlorophyll absorption spectrum in textbooks. The chlorophyll absorption spectrum is a graph of light absorption versus light color. It shows that chlorophyll absorbs much red and blue light but little green light. However, accessory pigments absorb green light and pass that energy on to chlorophyll.

yeah...thats interesting thanks leafminer! I've never had a problem, but mine wasn't a constant light either...like jman I try to stay away during lights out, and only go in there if I absolutely need to.

I was also refering to mainly my outdoor guerilla grows when I would water and hunt for males etc, I always did so at night and carried a green lensed flashlight with me, and never saw a hermi outdoors. But I have had to go into the indoor a couple times, and used the same light...so I'm guessing that the constant light played a roll...interesting! Thanks! you to Pie...don't know if you can see this or not;)

peacock said:
I have read that a green light does not effect the plants if you had to check on them during total darkness in grow and flower.
Could green light (say a 40 watt) then be used to check the plants during the drying process?

What if a 40 watt green light bulb was left on for a day in an 8 X 8 foot room during curing and drying. Effects?

Why would that be necessary? If it was a one time accident, the effects would most likely be insignificant.

However, any light spectrum, whether uvb is present or not, degrades thc. Light and heat are the (documented) enemies of thc.

Drying and long term storing should always be done in a cool and dark place.

As a side note, many suspect that UVB actually potentiates thc and contributes to the conversion of thca and thcv (precursors to thc) to thc.

Reactions: D3

Latest posts

Back