Green Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock

Reaction score
I have read that a green light does not effect the plants if you had to check on them during total darkness in grow and flower.
Could green light (say a 40 watt) then be used to check the plants during the drying process?

What if a 40 watt green light bulb was left on for a day in an 8 X 8 foot room during curing and drying. Effects?

Dunno, would think you want total darkness fer drying. If you let them dry naturally you preserve so much of the flavor and other goodies than if you try to speed things up.

i have also read that plants not being able to see green light to be a myth.
when the plant is growing..
LH

naaa a greenlite aint gona hurt nothing, even in flowering, just no heat and uvs. that's it!

Reactions: D3
i say **..... light is light.. green blue purple or black... light is light man
throw a green light in your room leave it on during lights off.. tell me what happens..
LH

I use a hand held green light when needed. There are times you need to go in the room during lights off to correct a problem. Like a pump goes out or you run into a temp problem. I think it's a good thing to have, just in case. I've never had a problem with it. It's best to stay out of the room during lights off time though. Later Man

LEFTHAND said:
throw a green light in your room leave it on during lights off.. tell me what happens..
LH
There are plants that see green light and use it in photosynthesis, but I don't know if MJ is one of the plants that does. I also don't know at what level of brightness or spectrum of green would interrupt the flowering cycle, if it indeed does. I don't know of any data on this in regards to MJ.

Even white light doesn't hurt any thing IF YOU KEEP IT DIM AND ON FOR AS SHORT OF A TIME AS POSSIBLE. Also try to limit where the light goes by using a small focused light like a miner's hat that only shines where you are looking and once again, get in get done and get back out as quick as possible and then ONLY IN AN EMERGENCY!

Great smoking.

DonJones said:
Even white light doesn't hurt any thing IF YOU KEEP IT DIM AND ON FOR AS SHORT OF A TIME AS POSSIBLE. Also try to limit where the light goes by using a small focused light like a miner's hat that only shines where you are looking and once again, get in get done and get back out as quick as possible and then ONLY IN AN EMERGENCY!

Great smoking.

if this is all true don.. why did i have to put black tape over the lil red light on me power bar?? oh thats because it was causing my plants to turn hermi durning dark hours... i bet alot of people have tape over there tower fans.. most have a lil blue/green/red light on them.... in my personal experiences anylight has the potential to cause the turn them hermi..
LH

DonJones said:
I don't recall where I read the study on this, but it takes an extremely small amount of the 'white' light spectrum to interrupt flowering and can do so in an extremely small amount of time. Do you have any links that support what you've said, Don? I would enjoy reading them and updating my information.

I've had hermi's once in 20+ yrs...and it was caused by bad breeding strategies of a buddy. I have ALWAYS used green light to check on plants both indoors and out, and only had herms the one time...not that this prooves anything, but it works for me.

I guess I'm curious as to where you heard that info about it being a myth lefthand...this is the first time I have heard it.

Reactions: D3
Any light at dark times is detrimental. A little once in a blue moon will not force any changes on the plant however.

MJ reflects more green spectrum than most light, hence the reason it appears green when we look at it. Other colors of the spectrum are being absorbed.

I have a green miners light I only use under emergency situations. No hermies as a direst result so far but I avoid it usually.

legalize_freedom said:
I've had hermi's once in 20+ yrs...and it was caused by bad breeding strategies of a buddy. I have ALWAYS used green light to check on plants both indoors and out, and only had herms the one time...not that this prooves anything, but it works for me.

I guess I'm curious as to where you heard that info about it being a myth lefthand...this is the first time I have heard it.

fist time for everything ehh... personal experience has proven to me any small amounts of light can cause problems in flowering plants ie. light on power bar.. fans.. or even that small lil hole in your tent.. i have grown the same strain in 2 diferent houses.. one was complete dark and one had a lil greeen light on the stand up tower fan... well hate to say the side with the fan had hermies.. but yet my host that i still have isnt hermi.. nor the plant i harvested b4 hermi.. so that there has to tell ya something..
LH

My light is a miners as well. Very low light.

Book: Light Sensing in Plants

Publisher Springer, Japan

ISBN 978-4-431-24002-0

Pages 239-242
"Cryptochromes and phytochromes readily absorb green light to initiate photomorphogenic responses. Still, the classical and contemporary literature present sporadic evidence that green light irradiation has specific influence that is not conveniently attributed to known light sensors ([Frechilla et al 2000], [Kim et al 2004a], [Klein 1992]). Recent reports corroborate early evidence that green light has specific, frequently antagonistic functions in directing light responses ([Eisinger et al 2003], [Folta 2004], [Talbott et al 2003])."

There are studies that show green light can and does reduce vegetative growth.

plantphysiol.org/cgi/reprint/40/5/903.pdf

There are many many more
The plants couldn't be affected if they didn't 'see' green light.
There are also studies that prove certain spectrums of green light also help plant growth.
It's a very, very small amount of influence, but to say green light isn't SEEN by plants is plain flat wrong.
How much it's seen, how much it affects the plant and what intensity does so is the question.
LH

LEFTHAND said:
LH
Interesting. I like it. I wanna try it. So if i isolate one clone in a box w/ 1 fluorescent and 1 green light and switch the fluorescent to 12/12 but leave the green on 24, will it flower?? :watchplant:This should tell the tale, no?
Now i need to get a box.. :bolt:

monkeybusiness said:
Interesting. I like it. I wanna try it. So if i isolate one clone in a box w/ 1 fluorescent and 1 green light and switch the fluorescent to 12/12 but leave the green on 24, will it flower?? :watchplant:This should tell the tale, no?

all it took was a lil green power light on a tower fan to screw up the grow.. give it a go and see... i will be interested to see what becomes of your findings..
LH

monkeybusiness said:

That will depend on how intense the green light is.....

Latest posts

Back