Handheld tester or Meter with probe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Dog

Reaction score
I've got the search for a pH meter narrowed down to two that are very close as far as specs go, both Milwaukee.

One is the pH53, a waterproof handheld tester. The other is the SM101, a meter that the probe is used via a 1 meter cable.

I figure that the meter with the cable will be easier to use with a bad back and old bones, but either way I'm not going to be squatting by the rez to get a reading.:cool: I'll get a sample and test that where I'm comfortable.

Anyone use both and have a preference? The cost between the 2 is like $15, which isn't enough to get excited about if one is easier to use than the other.

Thanks

DD

If you are just monitoring your res then the wall mount with probe is nice to have but if you are checking multiple res then the hand held is best. Or get both like I did, they both work well. The only problem with the portable is the batteries, you should keep spares on hand.

kasgrow said:
If you are just monitoring your res then the wall mount with probe is nice to have but if you are checking multiple res then the hand held is best. Or get both like I did, they both work well. The only problem with the portable is the batteries, you should keep spares on hand.

Yeah, I liked the fact that the portable meter uses regular 9v batteries. ;)

As far as I can see, just 1 rez for now.

DD

I have a Hanna pen with the canle like you described...

it's waaaay accurate, but it is kind of a pain to juggle a probe, cable, and meter...

I have my meter suspended from a rafter ...the only thing I touch is the probe, which dangles from the cable

If mobility and ease of use is an issue, I would think about a model without the cable and probe....AS LONG AS THERE NO DIFFERENCE IN ACCURACY....

those things are expensive huh?

I have the Milwaukee PH51 pen that works great. although I ruined a tip from placing it into the calibration solution when not in use (or so I was told by the hydro shop). I keep it in plain water now.

smokeytimes said:
I have the Milwaukee PH51 pen that works great. although I ruined a tip from placing it into the calibration solution when not in use (or so I was told by the hydro shop). I keep it in plain water now.

That hydro shop info sounds wack.

From Milwaukee info:

After cleaning with water, then electrode cleaning solution, store in electrode storage solution or pH7 buffer solution.Also, it says to NEVER use distilled/deionized water for storage.

Check out eseasongear.com for good deals on parts, solutions, meters and Milwaukee Instruments.com for accurate info for your PH51.

DD

Droopy Dog said:
I figure that the meter with the cable will be easier to use with a bad back and old bones, but either way I'm not going to be squatting by the rez to get a reading.:cool: I'll get a sample and test that where I'm comfortable.

DD

I never squat by the res. I scoop up water from the res in a clean container that I have just for that purpose and set in on the counter. I take my ppm and pH readings from that. So much easier if you have bad back and/or knees.

Latest posts

Back