have 100 to spend on lights, what to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardercross91

Reaction score
ok guys, im going to give this growing thing another shot, so my question is what should i get light wise? i have 100 dollers and dont know if i should stick with larger cfls or go with something else. this is going to be a large closet grow, actually about a 3 ft wide, 4 feet deep, and 7 feet tall.. what lights would you guys reccommend, i would go get an hps setup, but wouldnt i need to keep the light atleast 6 feet away from it to kep it from burning up? i want a good harvest, but can i do that wioth cfls?

boardercross91 said:
ok guys, im going to give this growing thing another shot, so my question is what should i get light wise? i have 100 dollers and dont know if i should stick with larger cfls or go with something else. this is going to be a large closet grow, actually about a 3 ft wide, 4 feet deep, and 7 feet tall.. what lights would you guys reccommend, i would go get an hps setup, but wouldnt i need to keep the light atleast 6 feet away from it to kep it from burning up? i want a good harvest, but can i do that wioth cfls?
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47994

i know first hand what it is to have a budget, for just a few bucks more i highly recommend these.

i was wondering, if i started the grow with a metal halide and then switched to hps for flowering, would this be a good idea? i found a local 1000 watt metal halide setup i can go pick up 5 miles from my house for 100, is it worth it? also, couldn't i later just put an hps bulb in this hood as well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220187836858

hows that look to start the veg with?

i'm not too sure on the conversion of MH to hps. but a 1,000 watt metal halide would do the full grow. you can always find an hps somewhere later, if you even want to go that route...but your metal halide would definately do the trick from seed to harvest. all the luck to ya

I am using 1000 watt metal halide (full spectrum) for my flowering room right now. I have a 600 watt hps but I wanted more light and more uv so I switched to mh. I have done this before with nice results. I sometimes use the hps for the first part of flowering and then to mh for the last couple of weeks. I use the same reflector. I just hook the socket cord to one ballast or the other. I have the two ballasts side by side and marked. I like to use metal halide for veg also and use a 250 watt for that.
I am using a 3x3 flood table in a 3x5x6 area
The biggest problem you will have with the 1000 watt in a closet is keeping it cool. I have a large fan pulling air from my garden and through the reflector to outside.

The 1000w MH is a good deal. They make a conversion bulb for HPS to work in MH ballast. Not as efficent as new digital. You don't need the HPS. MH the full grow. Biggest problem is heat. There are ways to deal with that too. Use the search button on the tool bar. Try "venting" or "exhaust" there will be a plethora of info.

boardercross91 said:
i was wondering, if i started the grow with a metal halide and then switched to hps for flowering, would this be a good idea? i found a local 1000 watt metal halide setup i can go pick up 5 miles from my house for 100, is it worth it? also, couldn't i later just put an hps bulb in this hood as well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220187836858

hows that look to start the veg with?

IMO MH veg HPS flower is the best way to go. and for an area that 12sqft (3x4=12ft area) (12x5000=60000 lumen) so that being said a 600W should be enough to grow well on but if you can get the 1000W for 100 bucks all i can say is if you dont want it can i know where it is :hubba:

That light will work but a good fan and flex duct and misc will prolly be another hundred. If all you have is a hundred dollar max, if you blow that on lighting, nothin left for ventilation. I agree with dubbaman a 600 watt is perfect for your space but no such thing as too much light as long as heat is not an issue. All you can do is get the light and set it up and see how the temps are. An aircooled reflector would be a big help.

a good fan, yes...5 bucks at most thrift shops...if even that much. as for flex duct and stuff, you DONT need all that...you can do wonders with big pvc pipe or just holes in the right spots and aiming your fan/fans. you'll get better ventilation if you close off your closet, that way you have input and exhaust holes, and can control air flow by where you put those holes. if a problem arises, just yell...there's many tricks to keeping it kewl

just remember some comunities red flag people who use them super high powered lights, with helicopters and cops who have heat detection devices. I'd go with the most low profile amount of light and just utilize it with good ventilation and mylar.

yeah more light creates more buds but more heat can make less buds in some cases. plus think of that electric bill.

if i was you i would spend alot more time carefully planning out and building a efficiant grow room or you will end up getting busted. if your not even decided yet on what kind of light you want i would be taking some steps backwards and plan better.

Latest posts

Back