Hay smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongBombshell

AKA 'smokin hottie'
Reaction score
Hey all..........I need to pick some brains! I harvested two Ak plants, dried them and they have been curing for about two weeks in jars. They look lovely but smell like hay/cut grass........I really expected more of a skunky smell (my whole house reeked of skunky weed for the last two months of flower). I don't know if I messed up somewhere between harvest and cure.

They were hung to dry in a larger closet that averaged about 50% humidity (48-52). One plant was manicured before hanging and the other after (personal experimentation) both smell hayish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Much love...........Meg

The hay smell might be mold. Once you put dried buds into jars they need to be aired out daily, slowly decreasing the amount of time the jars are open. I would take them out of the jar and let them air dry. Put them back into a clean jar and burp them daily

I don't think its mold.........I have had mold in weed before and this is definately not the same. I was actually thinking maybe they dried too fast???? I don't know.....I am baffled.

how long did they air dry before being put into jars? Are you still burping daily? Do the buds have any moisture in them or are they crispy?

this often happens to me on occasion. i dried till they were crispy on the outside but stems had a lil moisture in them. put into jars & burp often for a couple o wks then slowly back off burping of 1 more then leave alone until its time to smoke. this usually remedies my hay smell. mold will often have more of an ammonia smell to it, if in jars. did ur stems snap b4 you put into jars? imo this would be too dry.

usualy from drying too fast....I hang mine in a dark humid spot and try to let them dry as slow as possable. Also cure is where the smell is at, but these guys already explained that. Is that u Homegrown47, hiding behind another name???

Just be patient. Some strains take a longer cure. Then of course some never really cure. One plant from my last mix of phenos was like that. I keep that stuff for emergency smoke. Because, as we all know, in times of trouble, it is better to have . . .

Latest posts

Back