Help deciding a strain for my indoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for a first time grow, I always use to recommend Hashplant. Seeds are more difficult to come by nowadays, but it's a very forgiving, large producing, hard hitting, tasty smoke that has the power (and genetics) to make any first time grower feel like he earned the keys to the city! :beatnik:

DrFever said:
Yup there are allot actually

C-99
Green Crack 45 days
AK 48
Grape punch

and all those you mentioned are auto? where can i find grape punch?

Also any feedback about that hydro setup i posted in that link? i know i cant use the hydro setup for auto but i did get some WW i know i can clone.

None of those are autos.

I have had some C99 that finishes in about 7 weeks (there are a lot of 7 week strains out there), but that is the fastest flowering strain I have ever grown.

Where did you get the idea that you can't grow autos hydro? You can and they may even do better. However, you are not going to want to run autos and photoperiod plants from the same res. The autos will be on flowering nutes and the WW on vegging nutes.

I think however that I would pass on that setup. My main reason being the difficulty of cooling the light. I really think you need an air coolable hood or a cool tube. You may also never do the ebb and flow either. You are going to need a TDS meter, a pH meter, calibration fluids, and very possibly a water chiller, which is quite costy. I quit running hydro in the summer because of the costs to keep the res cool and I am running DWC and my nute solution will stay quite a bit cooler than yours.

We can direct you to some good places to get a HPS and a T5. How large are your spaces?

The Hemp Goddess said:
None of those are autos.

I have had some C99 that finishes in about 7 weeks (there are a lot of 7 week strains out there), but that is the fastest flowering strain I have ever grown.

Where did you get the idea that you can't grow autos hydro? You can and they may even do better. However, you are not going to want to run autos and photoperiod plants from the same res. The autos will be on flowering nutes and the WW on vegging nutes.

I think however that I would pass on that setup. My main reason being the difficulty of cooling the light. I really think you need an air coolable hood or a cool tube. You may also never do the ebb and flow either. You are going to need a TDS meter, a pH meter, calibration fluids, and very possibly a water chiller, which is quite costy. I quit running hydro in the summer because of the costs to keep the res cool and I am running DWC and my nute solution will stay quite a bit cooler than yours.

We can direct you to some good places to get a HPS and a T5. How large are your spaces?

im taking measurements today, can i purchase these lights from home depot? also what is a good soil to start off with? i am trying to put together a small checklist of things to get started

So i got my measurements (trying to upload pics the right way) one closet is 7ft tall, 59" wide, 29" deep my other space which is directly adjacent to this one is like a split level closet(shelf can be removed but i like the idea of a split level grow lol) the top is 3" feet tall, 34" wide, 3ft deep and the bottom is 4ft tall 34" wide 3ft deep.

I am not hip on the lingo just yet as far as lighting, but i want to use the home depot lights the silver spot lights, or the t8 type industrial lights? Basically im asking which bulbs are best to use with the space that i have? I know i have to use a light with a ballast for the flowering room

9A50B2DF-2EE0-43C8-8236-4A676F32F1B9-5424-000002F1F247BA13_zps5d2b0111.jpg

top area
E16998E9-B2D4-4337-BFA0-A11A5B57848D-5424-000002F20FDE080A_zps196822a5.jpg

this is the 7ft x 59 x 29 space.

92A76FBA-2F4B-4988-8F20-8B7F9B75BA25-5424-000002F23C7106A6_zpsd991e0ae.jpg

my question is which space should be used for flowering? theres a bathroom with down here with a constant drip from the old song (very small but enough to generate humidity) and tho its seperated from this room i was still nervous about mold or it being too humid. For ventilation i was gonna drill a hole in the top right hand corner and run the dryer line to clean air

t5........ and if your getting them from homedepot you may have to put a cord on it....... the ones I got came ready to mount to ceiling.

Grower13 said:
t5........ and if your getting them from homedepot you may have to put a cord on it....... the ones I got came ready to mount to ceiling.

yeah i am going to have circuit breakers in each room one in the Flowering and 2 in the split level veg. im online looking at the lighting on home depots site which light is it? theres like 10 different c5s lol i know i want the ones that come mountable to the ceiling. I also was thinking about the cfl lights(the swirly ones) and using them silver spotlights with the clamps on it for veg lights. I Was gonna post in the lighting section but im cool if i can just get my answers here lol

can anyone suggest a light that i can get at a local hardware store for my flowering room having seen my space? the 7ft tall one?

I got the cheapest ones that were 4ft........ paid under 35.00 for them...... they were in stock at my local store,

Grower13 said:
I got the cheapest ones that were 4ft........ paid under 35.00 for them...... they were in stock at my local store,

cool! after re-reading the light sticky for like the third time im starting to get a better idea of how i want to do this setup.

I will use the bi level closet for veg for sure! my mother plants, clones and seedlings will go onto the bottom since its a a bit taller and the top i will use for my auto grow plants since they dont grow that tall (from what i have read so far) the 7ft tall closet will be strictly for flowering.

I Am taking your advice THG i am going to pass on that setup for now! Im gonna do more reading to figure out watering techniques now that i am not going to use the hydro/ebb n flow set up

I wouldn't get lighting from Home Depot. I also wouldn't go with a split level veg space--no advantages and a lot of disadvantages. Ditto using the swirly lights--called CFLs, no real advantages and lots of disadvantages. They cost the most and produce the least of all lights you can use to grow. For example, you would need approx. 10 42W (420W) CFLs to adequately light a 3 x 3 space.

You are most likely going to have to go online to find the products you need. I would go with T5s for vegging. Nine sq ft is going to take approx. 27,000 lumens. I'm thinking that you may want to partition that space off to a 3 x 2 space. An 2' 8 tube T5 or a 4 tube PLL 55 T5 would light that.

I would put a 600 W in the 59" x 29" space. That space will need to be capable of being totally dark 12 hours a day. Few closet doors seal this well, so you will probably need to do something to make it light tight.

I get an organic soil from Home Depot that I really like, but it is apparently not available everywhere. It is called Kellogg's Patio Plus--$5 for 1-1/2 cu ft. It is organic and has enough goodies in the soil to take the plants a couple of weeks. After that I use NV's super soil for the nutrients and the Kellogg's as the base soil.

What are your plans for ventilation?

The Hemp Goddess said:
I wouldn't get lighting from Home Depot. I also wouldn't go with a split level veg space--no advantages and a lot of disadvantages. Ditto using the swirly lights--called CFLs, no real advantages and lots of disadvantages. They cost the most and produce the least of all lights you can use to grow. For example, you would need approx. 10 42W (420W) CFLs to adequately light a 3 x 3 space.

You are most likely going to have to go online to find the products you need. I would go with T5s for vegging. Nine sq ft is going to take approx. 27,000 lumens. I'm thinking that you may want to partition that space off to a 3 x 2 space. An 2' 8 tube T5 or a 4 tube PLL 55 T5 would light that.

I would put a 600 W in the 59" x 29" space. That space will need to be capable of being totally dark 12 hours a day. Few closet doors seal this well, so you will probably need to do something to make it light tight.

I get an organic soil from Home Depot that I really like, but it is apparently not available everywhere. It is called Kellogg's Patio Plus--$5 for 1-1/2 cu ft. It is organic and has enough goodies in the soil to take the plants a couple of weeks. After that I use NV's super soil for the nutrients and the Kellogg's as the base soil.

What are your plans for ventilation?

intersting point about the split level i was just staring at it trying to figure out the advantages of that, then i thought i can just do away with the shelf in that split level. were you able to see the pics i posted of the grow space? the 59x29 is def gonna house that flowering light when i get them, also in regards to the t5's they do sell them at home depot.

My basement is actually vacant and i was thinking hmmm if i can partition of a good amount of the basement i can veg there and flower in the closet. the basement itself is dark, no light. there is a room adjacent to the basement with windows and i planned to run dryer ducting from the basement and into that room to the window behind a screen for fresh air.

Ive pretty much narrowed down which lights i want to use, my next question is whats a good partition to use? i like the way mr green set up his room, but im not gonna be putting up any beams. i was thinking of using that black poly lightproof plastic and hanging it from the ceiling to section off my veg space. then flower in those closet spaces.

What do you think THG?

nvm! read up on one of your old posts again lol im going to use panda film! still reading up on the best light reflector i will probably put mylar up against the wall and the white side of the panda film will reflect on the other side of the veg room, trying to get ventilation down now. Its like you said THG ventilation just as important as lighting!

I would just use flat white paint. It is inexpensive, readily available everywhere, easy to clean, and reflects almost as well as the panda film.

I checked out Home Depot, but their prices seem a bit high and the fixtures don't seem to come with tubes. You may do better on e-bay or amazon. E-Bay has a 2' 4 bulb fixture that is $55--I notice that HD wants $93 for basically the same fixture. It truly pays to shop around when buying lighting.

You will need a centrifuge type fan to keep an HPS cool. A 600W may require a 6" fan and ducting. Not sure if the 4" will keep things cool enough. The vegging space can probably be kept cool with a good quality bathroom type exhaust fan. You also need oscillating fans in each room to move the air around and help strengthen the stems of the plants. Fans work better when they are pulling the air rather than pushing it. It also helps create negative pressure in your space, which helps keep smells contained.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would just use flat white paint. It is inexpensive, readily available everywhere, easy to clean, and reflects almost as well as the panda film.

I checked out Home Depot, but their prices seem a bit high and the fixtures don't seem to come with tubes. You may do better on e-bay or amazon. E-Bay has a 2' 4 bulb fixture that is $55--I notice that HD wants $93 for basically the same fixture. It truly pays to shop around when buying lighting.

You will need a centrifuge type fan to keep an HPS cool. A 600W may require a 6" fan and ducting. Not sure if the 4" will keep things cool enough. The vegging space can probably be kept cool with a good quality bathroom type exhaust fan. You also need oscillating fans in each room to move the air around and help strengthen the stems of the plants. Fans work better when they are pulling the air rather than pushing it. It also helps create negative pressure in your space, which helps keep smells contained.

Yes THG i just left home depot and was not happy!!! first off they didnt know what the panda film was or where it was and the lighting choice seemed a bit more expensive than i wanted! Very frustrating because I'm very anxious to get started(nirvana shipped my seeds today) but i know i need patience because i need the right setup, itll pay off for me long term to be patient :confused2:

Im still deciding on which grow spaces to use, closets or the wide open space in the basement. I still have some time i was hoping to get the grow room setup by the time the seeds arrived(at least the veg room) but that is looking bleak right now. Imma get a few more measurements and maybe post a question in setup and design, and also do lots more reading as im starting to pick up the light lingo

Stick to Indicas (NL, Skunk). They are the easiest to grow indoors. I'm growing two right now with Blackgold soil (excellent stuff) and went to 12/12 after 35 days, first flowers appeared at 41 days, trichomes appeared at 59 days. Fastest I've ever grown plants.

Only grow Indicas if you want an indica type high. A strain is only good if it is good for you. I am more of a sativa gal and like up energeti highs. There are sativa type strains that are easy to grow--C99 and Satori both come to mind.

Check out Amazon and E-Bau for lights. Home Depot really is not a good place to try and buy growing equipment.

Latest posts

Back