Here's the chop with pics - NLxBB & WW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dada

Reaction score
Several days ago I chopped my Northern Light X Big Bud (Nirvana). It had about 40% amber trichs, so I took it out of my cab at 67 days. My two White Widows are in the same cab and didn't have as many amber trichs yet, so they have to stay behind for a while. I have them in 72 hours of darkness right now -- will be chopping them tomorrow.

The first three pics are of all three plants in my cab before I chopped the NLxBB. The NLxBB is on the left and toward the front. The two plants with the large colas are the WW.

The next two pics show how lonely my WW girls look after their friend was so ruthlessly cut out. You can see how they counted on her support -- the weight of the buds is making them tip over into the vacated spot. Good -- the bottom buds got a couple of days of additional light before I put them on 72 hours of darkness.

You can easily see how much of the leafiness came from the NLxBB when you compare the before pics with the after pics. Plenty of leafs on the WW, but not nearly like the NLxBB.

The next post will show more about the NL x BB.

67 days total? What's your secret?

What does the 72 hours of darkness do?

They look great man, AWESOME yield. :banana:

The first two pics show the NLxBB hanging upside down getting ready to be groomed a bit. This is right after the chop. At this point, you can see how thick with branches and leaves this plant is. My friend is visible in the bottom of pic 2. She has been paying close attention to this grow for the entire time. Every night she would come into the room where the cab is and eat a couple of fan leaves. I guess I had enough to spare...

After this, she hung in the dark for two days and became very dry, as our humidity is only around 20%-30%. The third pic shows my wife holding the stems apart so you could get an idea of what the buds looked like after the initial grooming.

The next pic shows the tray of buds that came off of this plant. These buds have been completely groomed and are ready to continue curing. I have them in several paper bags right now and will move them into jars later today or tomorrow. Like I said, they are dry, but not so dry that they crumble. When I squeeze one, I can just tell that there is some resistance and I can sense a hint of moisture toward the center of the bud.

The final pic is of them on the scale with their current weight. I know you normally expect to lose quite a lot of weight as your buds continue to dry/cure, but these buds are very light and airy and hanging them for a couple of days really seems to have dried them a lot. I know this will not be the case with my two WW because they have incredibly dense and heavy buds.

No, Nice Day, not total -- that's the time in flower. I vegged them for a little less than 6 weeks. They germed near the end of January.

My review on this strain is mixed. On the one hand, I knew that there are phenos of NL x BB that are better than others and that some of them really yield. I'm happy with the yield on this, though it is nothing to write home about. I do like the smoke that I did from a quick-dried test bud. Even with the quick-dry, taste was acceptable. The high is very nice. It's a moderately strong high, though mellow at the same time. I could easily see myself smoking some of this and then going to a stuffy cocktail party and still being able to talk to people. Two good bong hits put me right where I want to be. I follow that maybe a half-hour later with one more hit and I am good to go for a few hours.

One disadvantage to this plant is that it was SO leafy that it took me hours and hours to do the initial grooming, the bud removal, and the final grooming of each bud. I'm not complaining, but it looks like the WW plants are going to be much easier to groom.

The NLxBB were covered with trichs everywhere. The stems of some of the fan leaves almost looked like they were thin caterpillars because they had so much powder.

One other thing -- the NLxBB really smelled during late veg and then all through flower. I have good airflow and exhaust out of the house, but I still got smell. There were a few days when it wasn't windy when I could go in my back yard where the exhaust vent is and get a good whif. It wasn't a constant smell so I had nothing to worry about, but I wanted to mention this. My wife really began to worry about the strong odor and toward the end of my grow she became quite paranoid. I don't blame her -- sometimes the entire basement became quite dank. I've got to admit that some of her paranoia has rubbed off on me, though I didn't let it affect my grow by doing something stupid like harvesting too early!

I have another thread in this forum about the 72 hours in darkness before the chop. I'll post something in there about the WW once they come down.

hey bro just wanted to say that ur budz look great bro bet they are nice and sticky:D hows the high? again great job bro peace

Well, all plants are down except for one midget that I damaged early on. She was worth keeping though because, even though I nearly burned her up when she was in veg and was tiny, she's filled with wonderful buds. I'll take a pic of her after lights on today or tomorrow.

The pics here are of my two White Widows after they were in 72 hours of darkness. I have another thread about 72 hours of darkness in this forum, so I won't say much about the WW here except to say that the first pic are the two plants right after the end of 72 hours darkness. Pic 2 is of the same plants, but I picked as much growth off as I could. (I just find it easier to start grooming when the plant is standing up and then when I hang them upside down, I go at it from the other direction.) I had the light on for about 40 minutes and then just shut it off and chopped these the following morning. So they actually had more like 84 hours of darkness, though there was some light during the final 12 hours.

The NL x BB is curing nicely. While the buds seemed a bit airy when I started curing, they are really getting quite firm. They were in paper bags for a couple of days and have only been in jars for 4 or 5 days. I'll take some pics of them after another week or so when they are at the point when I can probably quit burping the jars.

In the meantime, I'll continue this in the 72 hour thread.

Latest posts

Back